• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Push putting inconsistency

I read this thread kinda fast so forgive me if this has been discussed -

Try placing your index finger - first joint from the tip - right on the bead. Extend your hand to open as you release. That's the "pop" without the wrist snap (it takes practice).

Also as far as nose down, putt with a slight hyzer, it'll help this issue. It also helps eliminate the "missing wide" problem.

When I first started trying to push putt I tried to get it flat and perfect, and it actually killed my confidence. Putting slight hyzer and not trying to hit the front of the basket (or 6 o'clock angle) but placing it slightly strong side gives more margin for error (or at least more confidence for me).

So the main thing I got from this is aim HIGHER when putting into a tail wind and aim LOWER when putting into a head wind. Any other big recommendations?

Why does hyzer help?

I tried putting hyzer on it, but I want to spin it when I put hyzer on it and I pull them a lot.

I'm uploading a video right now ... it's working for me ... it looks extremely non-athletic.

Try nailing down the feeling of ejecting from the palm and then work your way further from the basket :thmbup: If you focus on the hit / ejection you will work out the elbow bend naturally. It isn't completely straight but it also isn't anything like what is needed for spin putting.

You know the attack where you hit someone's nose into their face with the bottom of your palm / wrist area? The end of the putt is like a sideways version of that. :confused: haha

I'm pretty sure once you nail down that part you can work out the hyzer / how high to aim / other things on your own

I push putted for a very long time with Aviars and could never get it to be consistent. Eventually I got really sick of it and completely changed my putting. I pushed the disc too hard. I like flat line putts. I could never get the hang of soft floating in putts.

I ended up looking for a dead dropping low profile putter that was a little overstable. In other words a no glide putter. Like a Banger, Ringer, Rhyno. Then I started spin putting. When you miss the comeback isn't as long because the disc doesn't glide even when you putt hard like I do. It has been working better for me.

Long story short push putting isn't for everyone, but you never know until you try I guess.

I point at the basket at the beginning of both. First one should be ready, second one will be a little bit, but is only a slightly different angle.

I have a rear-view with the basket in the picture. I take requests, also; just let me know where the camera should be.

I'll make a couple comments, but dude... a lot of great positive progress in a short period of time. For what it's worth ... it will take time to master. About 2 years ago, I decided to make that switch. My rating "suffered" for about 8 months... not feeling like I played as well as could, especially in tournaments. But it all boiled down to putting. Once I mastered it, my rating shot up 30 points higher than before I switched. I was at a clinic with Cale Leveiska last year and he said that he had become one of the top 30 players in the world, at about 1023 rating, being exclusively a spin putter for basically his whole career. He decided to learn the push putt, and spent a year learning from Feldberg. Since then he did he's gone from a 1023 rated top pro to an elite 1035-1040 rated pro, and he said it was all because of the push putt becoming his primary method. (At the time he was 1033 and attributed those ten ratings points to the push). The difference and consistency required to go up 10 or 15 points in rating when you're already 1023 is tremendous. And the best thing for him is that, he still has a spin putt for when he needs it, because he learned it so well before. At the Texas States in 2012, with the tourney on the line, he hit about a 26-footer (push) into the wind to win the tournament.

I see a couple things. One is on the straddle. Most people understand being balanced left/right (squared up) on a straddle putt. Sometimes though people dont balance back/forward when set up for a straddle putt. You seem a little bit too far forward in balancing, especially noticeable as you swing downward. I'd try from your normal straddle stance having your weight on the heels of your feet and roll to the toes as you extend, rather than starting on the balls or toes. That should keep your weight back a tad bit. Hopefully long term this will add range on the straddle as well. And on both straddle and stagger, you've got the arm swing, elbow lock, and release a lot better. Just go a little slower on the rock/downward motion, and then pop it (like Cam says) or hit (Feldy) a little bit faster.

Watch a vid of Will on any putt he has to concentrate on and make. He swings downward/rocks (back) with the arm so much slower than his upward PUTT motion.

Stemplejg: Look at the short-arm putt I posted (the beto vid). I think that's the easiest style to feel the disc ejecting off the palm.

This may be me being hard headed, but the Beto video, shows him rotating his hand and wrist. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you are moving your wrist and hand, then aren't you generating power from the movement in your wrist, and essentially turning it into a form of a "Spin Putt", or a cross between a spin and push? I do agree that it "ejects" off of his palm by utilizing that technique.

This could be me reaching, but wouldn't a true push be taken from the concept of say a Push Up, or pushing off of a wall? If this were true then you would in theory, bend your arms and push the disc away from your body.

Why does hyzer help?

I tried putting hyzer on it, but I want to spin it when I put hyzer on it and I pull them a lot.

I'm uploading a video right now ... it's working for me ... it looks extremely non-athletic.

Putting with slight hyzer helps (me, at least) because it just physically makes it harder to putt nose down as opposed to a flat release.

Also finish that follow through! I know you're in the house so probably not far away from the basket, but practice anyway, even if at first it's exaggerating. Keep your release point the same but follow through high with your hand. That also helps the nose angle issue.

Thirdly, the other "arm swing" part of push putting I already see you developing in this last video. Swing up towards the basket. Don't just reach down and reach up, but swing up through the release and towards the basket. Ricky Wysocki's putt is a super exaggerated, lanky-ass follow through and a great example of this.

Final thought - IMHO the difference between "push putting" and "spin putting" doesn't have to do with whether the disc spins out of your hands, because everybody finds their varying degree of comfort in how "fast" or "hard" to putt and that will directly correlate to spin. It has more to do with the type of arm swing in the execution of the release. It's perfectly fine to have a push putt motion with a little wrist action on release (i.e. Nikko) if that helps you putt consistently.

Just remember, being able to replicate the motion consistently and bang chains is all that really matters. Screw what form nerds say...if you make putts you make putts.

This may be me being hard headed, but the Beto video, shows him rotating his hand and wrist. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you are moving your wrist and hand, then aren't you generating power from the movement in your wrist, and essentially turning it into a form of a "Spin Putt", or a cross between a spin and push? I do agree that it "ejects" off of his palm by utilizing that technique.

This could be me reaching, but wouldn't a true push be taken from the concept of say a Push Up, or pushing off of a wall? If this were true then you would in theory, bend your arms and push the disc away from your body.

Yeah I'm pretty sure there are 3-4 logical fallacies in there :p

You're pushing the disc away from you(r palm)

Dan, here's the link to that Feldberg putting video people have mentioned a few times in the thread. I just watched it for the first time last night. Seems pretty good and he explains all the parts of the movement well.

http://vimeo.com/19847946

Yeah, I wasn't saying Beto teaches you how to push putt in that vid. But when I practiced the short arm, I really got the feel of the disc ejecting off my palm. I think the last 10% of the short arm is what a push putt feels like. If I'm doing it right now, that is.

I do agree that it "ejects" off of his palm by utilizing that technique.

I had heard the term push putt w/o watching any vids about it and my friends had taught me to putt from the stomach and pushing w/the heel of my hand. I've always thought of this as a push putt, but technically it's a form of spin putt. My disc has barely any rotation when I putt tho.

Also finish that follow through! I know you're in the house so probably not far away from the basket, but practice anyway, even if at first it's exaggerating. Keep your release point the same but follow through high with your hand. That also helps the nose angle issue.

I have a short follow-through. Looks unfinished. Some people say it's cause that's the easiest way to cut through the winds of west Texas. Some people say it's 'cause I never finished a thing in my life.

I had heard the term push putt w/o watching any vids about it and my friends had taught me to putt from the stomach and pushing w/the heel of my hand. I've always thought of this as a push putt, but technically it's a form of spin putt. My disc has barely any rotation when I putt tho.

I try to control the spin on all of my putts. Spin, turbo, scoober ... putting spin on a shot just seems to make it harder to control the distance. Also, I hear that spin increases slices and spin-outs.

Putting putting a little hyzer on it is working now that I have the push motion down. I also start with the nose kicked up. Those two in conjunction aren't giving me a nose up putt yet, but they are flat most of the time now. Fairly confident I'm doing it right now. Just have to work on it a lot to get it out to a useful range.

Last edited:
Putting putting a little hyzer on it is working now that I have the push motion down. I also start with the nose kicked up. Those two in conjunction aren't giving me a nose up putt yet, but they are flat most of the time now. Fairly confident I'm doing it right now. Just have to work on it a lot to get it out to a useful range.

That Feldberg video he said you should be able to read the label as it's flying. Give you an indicator of if it's up enough or not