• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

I would just like to thank RDG and the Scale for the birdie it got me during leagues and winning my partner and I a third place playoff CTP and getting our money back. :D

:clap:

I need to keep cultivating all of this Scale love. I think we are on our way to a cult status for this mold ;)

You've definitely hit cult status :D

I also brought some Magics out to putt with in anticipation of my Serpents :thmbup:

You've definitely hit cult status :D

I also brought some Magics out to putt with in anticipation of my Serpents :thmbup:

Oh man am I pumped for you to get the Serps :D

They are straight money in the circle. Season them up a bit and they fly straight like a magic but glide like a Wizard.

Just ordered my third Scale, love this mold. Been using it for my main putter over my wizards.

Just ordered my third Scale, love this mold. Been using it for my main putter over my wizards.

Nice!!

All this Scale love in this thread is making me queasy.
Lets talk about flaws the Scale has:
-it won't hold an anny
-it has no glide
-it is a slow flyer...

Ok now that that is over... I love this mold.
I am really beginning to come to the realization just how useful the Scale is as a utility mold. I primarily throw the Envy, Wizards or Serpents but when I need a disc to do something cray.... the Scale gets the call.

Nice!!

All this Scale love in this thread is making me queasy.
Lets talk about flaws the Scale has:
-it won't hold an anny
-it has no glide
-it is a slow flyer...

Ok now that that is over... I love this mold.
I am really beginning to come to the realization just how useful the Scale is as a utility mold. I primarily throw the Envy, Wizards or Serpents but when I need a disc to do something cray.... the Scale gets the call.

The only real con is that Scales cost too much to wholesale to my local shops! ;)

The more I use my Scale, the more I realize the exact same thing. If I lose mine, I'm probably quitting until I get a backup.

Have been playing a lot of Aero only rounds, and boy does the Scale seem even more XXL beefy after throwing a seasoned 167 DX Aero and fairly new 180 Star Aero. COMPLETE opposites. Lol.

Just got my Fossil Scale in the mail yesterday and love it. Played with at club doubles last night on a short pitch and putt course and hit the pole on the first throw. I've been waiting for a disc like this since I started playing. Perfect compliment to my Wizards.

Just got my Fossil Scale in the mail yesterday and love it. Played with at club doubles last night on a short pitch and putt course and hit the pole on the first throw. I've been waiting for a disc like this since I started playing. Perfect compliment to my Wizards.

Mission Accomplished :D

This was 100% my goal when we set out to produce a mold.
I love throwing Wizards but I always wanted something that would fight winds, glide less and hold up better to my awful flick up shots... the Scale is that disc.

So my fossil scale is pretty beat in now, and I was tossing it around during a casual round with some of my work buddies (we play every Thursday). I have been using the scale exclusively off the tee and for approaches, but I started testing it while putting just for fun during our last round.

I have to say, it is pretty awesome as a putter. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference in accuracy when I was using my wizard vs. my scale. So...in the interest of mold consolidation, I am considering an all-scale putter lineup.

Beat Fossil Scale - Putter
Beat Fossil Scale - Drives
Fresh Fossil Scale - General upshot/utility duties
RFF Scale - upshots that need to sit and stay

Very tempting...hmmm...anyone else doing something similar?

So my fossil scale is pretty beat in now, and I was tossing it around during a casual round with some of my work buddies (we play every Thursday). I have been using the scale exclusively off the tee and for approaches, but I started testing it while putting just for fun during our last round.

I have to say, it is pretty awesome as a putter. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference in accuracy when I was using my wizard vs. my scale. So...in the interest of mold consolidation, I am considering an all-scale putter lineup.

Beat Fossil Scale - Putter
Beat Fossil Scale - Drives
Fresh Fossil Scale - General upshot/utility duties
RFF Scale - upshots that need to sit and stay

Very tempting...hmmm...anyone else doing something similar?

As flattering as it is that you'd consider this... I'd say just keep rocking the Wiz/Scale tandem.

I designed the Scale to be the WizadOS in that you can't really tell the difference between the two in the hand. Mold consolidation to me makes more sense when the molds are pretty different feeling. The Scale may as well be a Wizard bc they're so similar.
I'd even go out on a limb and say that bagging a Scale & Wiz is more similar in hand feel then the folks that use S and E Wizards.

Also the Scale will never possess the distance ability that the Wiz will. That's just a fact.

The Scale does putt really well once seasoned but you'll notice that it won't have any kegs on longer putts. The thumb contour alsoseems to grab a tailwind and get kicked down quicker than a Wiz.

So again as much as I greatly appreciate the idea and desire... Keep a Wiz in there ;)
I know the Scale has the ability to be a disc that folks build their bags around, but it is no legendary Wizard for putting. :D

As flattering as it is that you'd consider this... I'd say just keep rocking the Wiz/Scale tandem.

I designed the Scale to be the WizadOS in that you can't really tell the difference between the two in the hand. Mold consolidation to me makes more sense when the molds are pretty different feeling. The Scale may as well be a Wizard bc they're so similar.
I'd even go out on a limb and say that bagging a Scale & Wiz is more similar in hand feel then the folks that use S and E Wizards.

Also the Scale will never possess the distance ability that the Wiz will. That's just a fact.

The Scale does putt really well once seasoned but you'll notice that it won't have any kegs on longer putts. The thumb contour alsoseems to grab a tailwind and get kicked down quicker than a Wiz.

So again as much as I greatly appreciate the idea and desire... Keep a Wiz in there ;)
I know the Scale has the ability to be a disc that folks build their bags around, but it is no legendary Wizard for putting. :D

Definitely appreciate the honest feedback. I haven't done much putting with the Scale outside the circle. I see what you are saying, though, the Scale probably isn't as effective from long distances.

^the distance portion o what JC was saying is pretty well demonstrated in my vid on the last page. I love the disc for accuracy, but the Wiz always went farther.

Funny. I actually really like the Scale for long range putts. Just a touch of anny and some height then boom, hyzers in to bang dem chains. Wizard though is definitely longer/straighter

Long putts and approaches yes, but if your driving them I can throw a Wiz about 275 or a little more possibly and have yet to throw the Scale longer than 250 or so.

I putt Scales and I have hit some fairly long putts with them. I think it comes down to putting style, power level, etc. It is a pretty OS putter and it does drop fairly quickly, but that's part of why I like it. Also, in response to JC, I DO think Scales feel differently in the hand than a Wizard. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I actually like the deeper feel and thumb track of the Scale for both driving and putting better than Wizards.

Also, I don't drive Scales (or any putters really) on holes much longer than 240. I'm sure I could probably get a Wizard (or Envy, beat Pig, Ridge, etc.) out to 275 if I wanted to, but on most holes at that distance I'd probably be reaching for a Roc anyway because I'd be more accurate with it than trying to crank a putter out there.

Made a little review video of the Scale, I really like the Tar Pit plastic. It's a great disc to hit and stick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z9uraYrDzs

Nice comparisons. Side note, I noticed your discs, wizard and harp in particular looked clovered on top. It may be because of the pressure you apply with your thumb (not sure if this happens to allot of your discs, in base plastic).

But what I was getting at is that the scale and serpent for that matter may alleviate that issue. That groove track ontop is a cool feature. I'm a fan of the scale and really like the groove :D haha

I'm deffinaty digging the thumb groove thing, the Harp and Wizard are BT Soft and Rff, and your exactly right the thumb pressure has created that.

Usually in those molds I carry a firmed plastic BT Hard/VIP and SS/Evo respectively.

Gotta get some of the Fossil/Fossil Fuel Scales. Haven't tried a Serpent yet but I'm looking forward to trying one. I putt with Liquid Touches right now because the flight caracteristics almost never change but it isn't set in stone.

Funny. I actually really like the Scale for long range putts. Just a touch of anny and some height then boom, hyzers in to bang dem chains. Wizard though is definitely longer/straighter

I putt Scales and I have hit some fairly long putts with them. I think it comes down to putting style, power level, etc. It is a pretty OS putter and it does drop fairly quickly, but that's part of why I like it. Also, in response to JC, I DO think Scales feel differently in the hand than a Wizard. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I actually like the deeper feel and thumb track of the Scale for both driving and putting better than Wizards.

Also, I don't drive Scales (or any putters really) on holes much longer than 240. I'm sure I could probably get a Wizard (or Envy, beat Pig, Ridge, etc.) out to 275 if I wanted to, but on most holes at that distance I'd probably be reaching for a Roc anyway because I'd be more accurate with it than trying to crank a putter out there.

So, you're saying there's a chance (in my best Jim Carrey voice). I appreciate the feedback. I think I will just have to go do a bit more testing with the Scale as my putter - specifically with outside the circle putts.