• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ricky Wysocki gets t-boned in OK

This makes no sense to me.

Let's assume it was yellow for the truck and red for Ricky.
Ricky turns right on red, either not seeing or not realizing the truck won't stop. There are 3 options:

1 - If the truck did not have the ability to stop safely (just went yellow), this is then 100% Ricky's fault.
2 - If the truck did have time to stop and didn't - then it is at best shared fault. The truck should have stopped. Ricky should not have gone right on red if he couldn't have safely done so. Really though - even in this case - I'd lay blame on the car going right on red.
3 - Unable to determine the timing and if the truck could have stopped. IMO here I still blame the car going right on red. Clearly there is fault there - and there *may* be fault on the truck going through on yellow.

1- agreed
2- if the truck couldve stopped and is required to stop if they couldve safely, then the truck shouldve never been in the intersection at the same time ricky was turning. in this case ricky wouldve have been legally right to be in the intersection (assuming he came to a stop for 3sec) where as the truck wouldnt have legally been in the intersection.
3- yes i would agree, if they are unable to clearly determine the factors involved then i would have to lay blame on ricky as well on common sense standards.

Judging by the wheels and fender shape in the pictures, it looks like a Honda Accord.

I am very impressed how little damage there is to the driver's area. Modern technology definitely helped here. As they say: wear your seat belts so you have "room to live".

You can look that one up on YouTube.

I am very impressed how little damage there is to the driver's area. Modern technology definitely helped here. As they say: wear your seat belts so you have "room to live".

every once in a great while tho not wearing your seat belt saves lives. a kid i worked with rolled his car when drunk one night got thrown from his car and the car kept rolling. had he been wearing his seat belt he wouldve been crushed in the cab. lucky bastard he only end up with bruises and scraps on that one. and like the dumbbutt he is he still drives drunk....sigh....and thats not his only wreck...why do these people keep getting their license back?

*Disclaimer* i am not condoning whatsoever to be stupid and not wear your seatbelt.

By the little bit of damage to his car, I'd say this was not a true side impact collision, or it was at very low speed. You don't walk away from really getting "T-boned" by a semi.

Modern cars today are built for safety ONLY if you're wearing your seatbelt. Of course there are always the outliers.

Check out the guy in the red shirt on the side of the hill. He wasn't there 10 seconds earlier.

This makes no sense to me.

Let's assume it was yellow for the truck and red for Ricky.

Why?

There are at least three scenarios in which the light was yellow for BOTH the truck and Ricky, one of which was mentioned up-thread:

It could be the opposite. Ricky was going straight and the truck was taking a left hitting him on the left side of his car.

That is, Ricky and the semi are side-by-side, facing the same direction. The semi is in the turn lane. Ricky is in the lane to the immediate right of the turn lane and is either slowing down or stopped. The truck driver tries to run the yellow light and either doesn't see Ricky or misjudges his speed and/or the turn radius, so he drifts right and angles into Ricky.

Other scenarios include:

a) Ricky and the semi are both in turning lanes facing the same direction with the semi on the inside, both try to run the yellow light, and the semi drifts over into Ricky's lane; and

b) Ricky and the semi are heading in opposite directions, and BOTH ran the yellow light.

Or, maybe Ricky was turning out of a gas station/fast food joint/parking lot located just downstream of an intersection when he got hit.

Too many unknowns to just assume Ricky must have run a red light.

Why?

There are at least three scenarios in which the light was yellow for BOTH the truck and Ricky, one of which was mentioned up-thread:

That is, Ricky and the semi are side-by-side, facing the same direction. The semi is in the turn lane. Ricky is in the lane to the immediate right of the turn lane and is either slowing down or stopped. The truck driver tries to run the yellow light and either doesn't see Ricky or misjudges his speed and/or the turn radius, so he drifts right and angles into Ricky.

Other scenarios include:

a) Ricky and the semi are both in turning lanes facing the same direction with the semi on the inside, both try to run the yellow light, and the semi drifts over into Ricky's lane; and

b) Ricky and the semi are heading in opposite directions, and BOTH ran the yellow light.

Or, maybe Ricky was turning out of a gas station/fast food joint/parking lot located just downstream of an intersection when he got hit.

Too many unknowns to just assume Ricky must have run a red light.

You are right that we are making assumptions but it is based on what he posted. For each of those situations you used I wouldn't have summed it up as "the truck ran a yellow light"

All of these assumptions are useless as non of us were present at the time of the accident nor does any of us have both sides to the story (Ricky's And the semi driver ). This thread is as useful as a poopy flavored lolly pop.:doh::popcorn::doh:

You are right that we are making assumptions but it is based on what he posted. For each of those situations you used I wouldn't have summed it up as "the truck ran a yellow light"

So, you're stopped at an intersection and preparing to make a right turn when the light turns yellow. From your vantage point, you can see there's no traffic coming toward you on the street you're turning onto, and that there is a semi approaching the intersection in the left turn lane directly opposite you. As you turn into the right lane, the semi barrels through the yellow light, crosses all five lanes of traffic, and hits you.

How would you summarize in one sentence what the semi driver did?

The point being that the fact Ricky wrote that the semi ran a yellow light does not necessary imply that the semi driver had the right-of-way, as most of the "reconstructions" in this thread assume.

Reading this discussion reinforces my contention that the trucker's insurance company would rather replace Ricky's car and move on than fight it.

Note to all... 18 wheelers don't "come out of nowhere".

Also... stopping an 18 wheeler isn't remotely similar to stopping a car.

How would you summarize in one sentence what the semi driver did?

As you turn into the right lane, the semi barrels through the yellow light, crosses all five lanes of traffic, and hits you.

probably something like that. :clap:

if that was indeed what happened anyway. "running" a yellow light? is that a thing now? sounds like someone wasn't paying attention.

You guys waste your time assuming sh!t and making up your own laws and I'll just be happy no one appears to be hurt. You all are pathetic :'(