• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ricky Wysocki gets t-boned in OK

Exactly my point in saying that it might not be the truck's fault in that scenario. If the truck has a yellow, that means absolutely that the crossing street has a red. Right on red may be legal, but only after coming to a complete stop and if there is time to do so safely (i.e. no oncoming traffic).

There are yellow merging lights some places. No light for Ricky, yellow for the semi.

There are a bunch of intersections with no stops, and a yield somewhere. So no, the crossing street doesn't absolutely have a red if the semi has a yellow.

So just an experience I had very recently (literally 3 days ago) that I have a feeling is what happened:

Got to an intersection where the light was going green to yellow and I'm already out in the intersection with a yellow light legal to turn. Cue d-bag already going 10mph over the limit that clearly had no intention of stopping. I had every right to make that turn but held up in order to not get hit, then drove through the red light since as I said I was already in the intersection. It would have been 100% his fault if I had misjudged and pulled out. At that point he was running a red light where if I had kept going I would have been rolling through a yellow. Instead I chose to hold up.

If I had not seen him I would have been t-boned just as Ricky was. I can easily see how someone would refer to that as running a yellow.

So just an experience I had very recently (literally 3 days ago) that I have a feeling is what happened:

Got to an intersection where the light was going green to yellow and I'm already out in the intersection with a yellow light legal to turn. Cue d-bag already going 10mph over the limit that clearly had no intention of stopping. I had every right to make that turn but held up in order to not get hit, then drove through the red light since as I said I was already in the intersection. It would have been 100% his fault if I had misjudged and pulled out. At that point he was running a red light where if I had kept going I would have been rolling through a yellow. Instead I chose to hold up.

If I had not seen him I would have been t-boned just as Ricky was. I can easily see how someone would refer to that as running a yellow.

I don't know about traffic laws in North Dakota, but in Texas and Oklahoma (where Ricky was hit), it's illegal to be stopped in an intersection. You should be in the turn lane until you can complete your turn. Sitting still in an intersection is very dangerous because you're likely to be hit. Ask a trooper if you don't believe me.

I don't know about traffic laws in North Dakota, but in Texas and Oklahoma (where Ricky was hit), it's illegal to be stopped in an intersection. You should be in the turn lane until you can complete your turn. Sitting still in an intersection is very dangerous because you're likely to be hit. Ask a trooper if you don't believe me.

I had to stop in the intersection to keep from getting hit.

The light was yellow and I was already moving and into the intersection to turn since the guy coming towards the intersection Clearly was not going to make it to the intersection before the light turned red. I noticed that he was a d-bag and stopped.

I would call it running a red light but if someone called it running a yellow - since it was yellow when I was in the intersection - I could see why.

He didn't intend to stop in an intersection. He intended to turn left on what may have been an unprotected green which turned yellow at the wrong moment, but couldn't because someone going straight the opposite way was running the yellow. Once you're in the intersection, you can't just back up into the turn lane.

Thankfully, most main intersection lights I've seen around here have about a 2-3 second delay where pretty much everyone is on red before anybody gets a green again. Annoyingly long, but it gives time for people trying to do the yellow squeeze to clear the intersection.

This law exists in most states. However, here in the South and in many places in the US, it's not much enforced unless you piss the cops off.

Has anyone tried to get the police report? Lots of places have them online at this point, and it would save a lot of speculation. Personally I really don't care enough to look, I'm just glad there were not serious injuries.

Has anyone tried to get the police report? Lots of places have them online at this point, and it would save a lot of speculation. Personally I really don't care enough to look, I'm just glad there were not serious injuries.

cant really find anything and i think the 5 min i put into it was more than enough.
http://accidentdatacenter.com/us/oklahoma

You are misinterpreting the law. You are not allowed to enter and stop in an intersection if the lane you are entering is obstructed (for instance if there is traffic backed up on the far side of the intersection). However, you are allowed to enter an intersection and wait for oncoming traffic to clear to make a left turn, as long as the lane your turning onto is clear.

You are misinterpreting the law. You are not allowed to enter and stop in an intersection if the lane you are entering is obstructed (for instance if there is traffic backed up on the far side of the intersection). However, you are allowed to enter an intersection and wait for oncoming traffic to clear to make a left turn, as long as the lane your turning onto is clear.

I'm glad someone else could clarify this, cuz what he was saying before made zero sense to me. I was always taught growing up to get out in the intersection to make a left turn, because if you stay in the turn lane you will never get a chance to turn and hold up traffic.

Looks like Ricky is still experiencing some pain from the accident. He wasn't throwing many of his patented forehands. He was still throwing some huge turnovers though.

Last edited:
I'm glad someone else could clarify this, cuz what he was saying before made zero sense to me. I was always taught growing up to get out in the intersection to make a left turn, because if you stay in the turn lane you will never get a chance to turn and hold up traffic.

All part of being an alert and courteous driver.