• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SuperWookie Form Thread

This video talks about Griffey doing this in his swing. He incorrectly states that Griffey PUSHES his hands back, when in fact, he's just trying to KEEP his hands back. But it's the same result. His hands stay behind, his upper body gets coiled up and then releases late through the hit point and he smashes the ball with what looks to be little effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D3dd3Sa3Z4

Yes! This video makes a lot more sense to me now, haha. Thanks!

I think I've watched this before, but didn't really understand it or make much of it. But now that I've seen this idea happening in front me, in person, and I'm making the connection of what I saw to how similar it is to a baseball swing, this video is helping the whole idea become much more concrete in my mind.

A lot of your videos are not super straight forward or easy to understand if you're a beginner. To you and other good throwers, they are very simple to understand. But to us beginners who feel like all of these ideas are a big tornado of concepts swirling around out there, and we're trying to put them all into an organized linear manner, they don't seem as easy to understand. I'll watch a lot of your videos and others, and I do understand some or all of the ideas, but it just doesn't "add up" or fall in line until later. Until AFTER you make some connection on your own or do it in the field. It's so weird.

They're like slow burners, haha. The more you start to understand things on your own, the more your videos start to make all sorts of sense. Which I already knew they were chock full of great info, but it's so funny when it happens. I have no idea why it's so hard to understand them completely until later on. You feel stupid and can't understand how it wasn't so obviously clear before. But thanks. I really need to work on this idea of working around the disc and keeping it away from me and delaying my turn until pretty late. Especially for me. I have a feeling it will really help me create more of a heavy feeling in my arm or the disc from the later turn back while my weight is moving forward. Thanks man

But I still don't have an answer to my previous questions. This one: follow up question after re-reading this for the 10th time to try to understand. Is the stride forward with the plant leg, just like falling over? Meaning, your spine and body is tilted toward the target / and then gravity just pulls your leg forward, because if you don't let your foot/leg plant, you'll just fall sideways onto the ground? Or is the plant leg getting pushed forward by the back leg at the point of the crossover? It looks like when I watch Simon, that he is mostly (like 80-90%) using gravity to let it pull his plant leg forward. Not PUSH it forward with his rear leg. Like his momentum going forward at that point is what causes his legs and weight to move forward, and only a little of his left foot is pushing him forward.

How much of his movement forward at the point of his feet crossing over is momentum from his run up, and how much is from his back foot pushing off? Percentage wise? Not sure if my momentum moving forward should be all I need, or do I still actively need to push off of my instep of my back left foot while just past the point of the crossover? Also, if you look at his hips and the tilt they are at, it seems as if he is really leaning forward / with his lower body during the portion of the throw when he's moving into his plant foot from the crossover, and it's only because his upper body is reaching back, that his whole body doesn't look like it will fall over. Like if he wasn't reaching back, his whole body would be tilting forward like this / towards the target. Like the Hershiser pitching drill. They are near the wall, then get into their cocked and ready position, and then need to lead with their hips and fall forward into the wall, THEN let their plant leg swing forward and catch their weight at the last second, thus rocketing their arm like a trebuchet forward at the last second. Is it the same feeling and idea in disc golf? It's so hard to tell. Some people look like they are definitely slamming their weight into their plant, while others look more like they are gently placing their plant leg down and shifting their weight forward. Is it one or the other, or a little of both? And why? Thanks

This video in particular is what I usually reference when I talk about Simon's throwing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

So I got some time to go out last night and throw. Warmed up with my std hammer and sledge throws for about 5 mins to get that feeling ingrained. Then 32 throws from a complete stand still with putters and mids only. Then 32 throws with a step forward with mids and fw's. Then 64 X step throws with some mids, fw's and my 2 control speed 9 drivers. This is only my second time using an X step to throw. Then finish off with 32 forehand throws. The footwork and lower body and balance feels pretty good. It's the upper body that feels super wonky even when the result is good. I was shocked that even on my best throws with an X step, I could only throw my fw's and control drivers about another 20-30' farther than from a one step! It makes no sense. Putters and mids are about the same, maybe on good throws another 10-20, but about the same. The consistency was about the same as one steps. So meaning, all over the place. About 25% are "good", 25% are horrible, and 50% are decent. I finally have reached end zone to end zone distance, so that's kind of cool, but not really, because I feel like I'm still using mostly my arm and rotator cuff muscles to get that distance.

To answer this question/idea from Randy C and SW22: Find a nice downhill lie and throw from there. Opening up into plant will send you down the hill unbalanced. If you manage to throw from there balanced you are most likely bracing/leading with the hips/staying more closed into the plant. I tried this at my football field and it was easy or actually easier to throw than flat! I had NO problem staying balanced and actually started throwing off of the hill and it was easy. So I don't have any problems with being too open or bracing properly. Every single time I tried it, I landed in balance and it actually felt good. It felt like I was coming down into the throw, as opposed to out with my front foot, and I liked the feeling, haha.

I'll get the video up later when I get home, but the things that immediately stick out like a sore thumb and are the bane of my Disc Golf existence at this point (and NEVER getting better) are the:

1. Disc riding up the back of my arm when moving my weight forward. The disc somehow keeps moving up and up until it gets almost around my rear shoulder height, no matter how low or high I start the disc height in the start. It drives me crazy, I don't feel it happening, and I actually try to make sure it doesn't happen, and yet it always happens. I even tried really hard to keep the disc way out wide like that Barry Schultz guy you told me to try and emulate. It didn't work :( I know that it is robbing me of 50'+ of distance as well as accuracy. It's that soft V air bounce cr*p. The disc goes from high to low and then right at the hit point, I somehow bounce the disc back up and then have a stunted low follow through. I need MAJOR help with this and ideas on how I can stop doing this. It's one of the MAJOR problems that is robbing me of tons of distance, accuracy and consistency. And tied into this is the follow through. It's not necessarily bad that my follow through is low and around, but it is probably a sign I'm not doing other stuff right before that point.

2. I can not for the life of me figure out how to throw more with my body and legs, as opposed to my arm and rotator cuff muscles. Every time I leave a field session, my right rotator cuff muscle is aching and very sore. No matter what I've tried so far, to try and whip my arm with my body and keep that 90* or larger angle, nothing is working! It is also the bane of my Disc Golf existence. Tons of distance and accuracy are lost and I have NO easy throwing (a la Freddy Couples, Philo Brathwaite, McBeth, etc). I need major help in this arena and have NO ideas on how to work on getting my lower arm to be more fluid and fast, while my upper arm stays more or less locked to my shoulder turn. Any ideas or help here would be MUCH appreciated as this is another huge problem that is NEVER getting any better, no matter what. Other things get better incrementally, this never changes. I can't do this
ShimmeringRealJackal-small.gif

3. Grip selection. I can't find a good grip that always works no matter what. I use different grips for all my discs on power throws and all of them are like 50/50 success vs failure. The only two grips that give me any type of consistency for some very specific throws are the suitcase DFP grip on putters and mids for longer shots with those discs. And then a normal fan grip with the index finger just barely over the rim for touch shots of 200 or less. Other than that, I change around my grip every few shots trying to find something that feels good and really hooks into the rim. I try a 3 finger slanted grip with my index really locked into the rim for most 7-9 speed fw's and control drivers. But it's 50/50. Some throws I really feel it rip out of my index finger and they go farther, and some throws are horrible. Same goes for a power grip, modified power grip, hybrid power and fan grip I came up with where only my index and pinky are locked into the rim with the ring finger stacked on my pinky and the middle finger fanned onto the flight plate, or literally any other grip. None of them ever feel great, and none of them ever provide consistent results. I don't know if I should be using just one or two grips total, or a different grip for each disc shape? Like putters and the mids feel much better using either a fan grip or the suitcase DFP power grip. But all the other discs feel kind of weird with every single grip I try. I don't know if grip is as important as I think it is, or less important?

These 3 things are what I need the most help with. So if anyone has more ways or ideas on HOW I can do these and get them grooved into my throw, I'm all ears and very appreciative. Thanks everyone

It's all fundamentally the same to me. I like to pump forward to the hit and pendulum straight down and back for aiming and because I can keep my arm(whole body) looser and everything moves in equal and opposite and my legs have to get out of the way of the pendulum backswing.

I would suspect you are trying to throw flat or low/downward. You need to throw upward trajectory to throw far with the nose down. You don't want to be using lift to reach the apex of the flight because that will induce major drag and slow the disc down. You want the disc to reach the apex with forward momentum and turn over nose down to glide out on the way down instead of stalling out.

Sore arm/rotator cuff is definitely not a good sign. I'd be careful with that. Sounds like you are correct in your assessment that you are using your arm muscles to throw.

How are your hammer throws going? You can't really use your arm muscle to move the hammer around without having your shoulder/arm hurting.

Sore arm/rotator cuff is definitely not a good sign. I'd be careful with that. Sounds like you are correct in your assessment that you are using your arm muscles to throw.

How are your hammer throws going? You can't really use your arm muscle to move the hammer around without having your shoulder/arm hurting.

Yeah, it's not good. My rotator cuff muscles in my right shoulder are still sore and twingy today. So not good at all.

Hammer/sledge throws are good. I do them all the time before I actually throw, and do them well. I have a set routine now when I go out I've been using for awhile. Warm up with hammer/sledge throws for 5 mins or so. Then on to different throws as I outlined in the above post. So I'm all warmed up by the time I'm doing the X step throws. But the hammer/sledge throws, although done well, are not translating at all to my disc throws. I just don't see how they translate? It feels TOTALLY different between the two. And if I try to throw the disc like I throw the hammer, it goes maybe 150-180' and fades hard left almost instantly.

It TOTALLY looks like every single great thrower of a disc is using their arm to throw the disc, along with their body. Like somewhere around a 50/50 ratio. Not mostly their body and almost no arm like I read everywhere. So I'm just having the hardest time connecting these two seemingly opposite ideas into one. This IS the main reason I'm not throwing well and feel so frustrated. All the other things are varying levels of easy to hard to figure out, but I make progress or figure them out. This arm being almost dead and using the body to whip it around is like trying to learn Chinese and being dyslexic at the same time. It makes NO sense and it's just killing me and my progress and ability to enjoy this sport. It's such a hard concept to understand and fully explain to others I fear as well :(

Like when I throw a baseball from the outfield. It's NOT all body and almost no arm. I run up, take a hop step and use my body to leverage my arm/hand and really help whip the ball out. But you still use a ton of arm to throw it. Same with a tennis backhand or forehand. So I just don't even understand how swinging a heavy hammer or sledge is the same as throwing a tiny little weightless disc. This is just so frustrating and the biggest obstacle I'm experiencing.

I'm sure the battering ram video/stop hugging yourself are great videos, but they don't help me or teach me how to throw correctly. To me, when I watch them over and over, they are just theoretical videos, not reality. I watch the videos, see how the body is moving, then watch a throw, and it doesn't add up or look the same. So far, there is just nothing anyone is saying or explaining that is making any sense. And it's nobody's fault. I'm just not connecting with anything anyone is saying yet. I'd say the only instruction I've had any luck with yet and seem to connect with slightly more so is from HUB and his Heavy Disc articles. But still, the actual throwing part of the equation is still just not getting any better. If someone can explain how to do it in a different way, and I finally get that feeling, then the rest will be MUCH MUCH easier to figure out and incorporate. But until that happens, nothing else matters.

I did have a possible epiphany last night though while waiting for a commercial to pass while watching the Tour de France. I constantly am gripping and holding a disc while I watch TV, just to try and get more and more comfortable with the disc and grips. And sometimes I get up and swing around, etc. So last night, I was thinking of something I read somewhere about how the arm or body needs to be like a towel or whip cracking. So I started slow mo moving the disc through a throw and instead of continuing forward the whole way through the throw like normal, I kind of did this whip like motion with my arm/hand/wrist, very much like whipping a towel. And it got me wondering if I'm supposed to be doing that? Not just moving my arm forward the whole time, but right at the point of the hit, to kind of stop my arm/body and the wrist will sort of whip/eject the disc forward? Because I did this in slow mo with a disc and just kind of let my arm feel dead and whip it around with my body, and a few times of doing this then produced that feeling! Like I would pull back just a bit with all my weight right when the disc was out in front, near the hit point. And what would happen is the disc would pivot in my grip and my grip would be directly aiming at where my arm was just swinging too. So my thumb would be pointing down the throw line. Kind of like this:
20131012214524_fn1602.jpg

And it felt like my shift in weight backwards at the last second produced this whip like feeling and like all that momentum of my body and loose arm moving forward, that then gets pulled back at the last second would RIP or PULL the disc out of my hand. But then it makes no sense, because I see EVERYONE moving forward constantly and there is no hitting INTO a brace and stopping. So I don't even know how it would work. Does any of this sound even remotely correct? Or is it way off base? It's just something I accidentally felt while messing around and wanted to explore the idea with everyone. But it definitely got me thinking. This video at 0:53 secs shows what I'm talking about:
https://youtu.be/SGGi7AqEvrY?t=53

How do you pound a nail with a hammer? Do you stay loose and never tighten up to deliver the blow?

If someone can explain how to do it in a different way, and I finally get that feeling, then the rest will be MUCH MUCH easier to figure out and incorporate. But until that happens, nothing else matters.
https://youtu.be/SGGi7AqEvrY?t=53

In an attempt to find an answer to 500' form, I have SCOURED YouTube, Facebook, Blogs, and DG form threads. I've been to the far corners of the internet looking for form help...IMO no body is better than SW, and its really not even close. Between all the instructional videos, screencaps/mark ups, along with consistent personal/individualized coaching, he really goes above and beyond. Although he'll piss you off something fierce sometimes ;)

I've learned a lot about disc golf form over the past 13 months, and in the process...even more about myself. If you're familiar with HUB, you know he talks about patience. I'm an impatient person; putting hours and hours of work into something, and not seeing instant results is really frustrating. Almost makes you want to shatter a hockey stick on a warehouse wall...

I've had to accept the fact that in order to achieve my goal, there is no magic bullet. No quick fix. Yes you will have some mini "ahh ha" moments along the way, and those are important, but for me they are few and far between. The rest of the time its just good ol' fashion work. Practice - Post video - Make adjustments - Rinse - Repeat. It really is that simple and hard at the same time.

If you do find a faster route hit me up. Until then, I'll be over here grinding away :thmbup:

You ever tried HUB's windmill drill?

I did months ago, more back when I first started throwing. I tried it for about 10 mins and was not doing well at all with it. So I've never done it since. Maybe give it another try now? How do you think it will help with my arm issues and the actual throw? Not 100% sure, but I think that drill is more for timing of the weight shift? Waiting on the front plant leg to plant later, while letting the disc drop down and waiting to pull? I will give it another try next time I go out if you think it will work.

And what ideas do you think are the most important to take away from the drill? I know HUB clearly states it's just an idea he got from SW and then turned it into a drill, thinking about the opposite and equal idea of turning back while hips move forward. So basically the door frame drill but in actual practice?

Thanks

How do you pound a nail with a hammer? Do you stay loose and never tighten up to deliver the blow?

I am loose-ish for most of the swing into the nail. Than as I get near the nail, my hand, wrist and arm instinctively tense up a little more with my grip getting firmer and then WHAM!

That's how I'm swinging the disc. I'm loose and not tense at all, then right before the hit, I'm tensing up more and gripping harder.

In an attempt to find an answer to 500' form, I have SCOURED YouTube, Facebook, Blogs, and DG form threads. I've been to the far corners of the internet looking for form help...IMO no body is better than SW, and its really not even close. Between all the instructional videos, screencaps/mark ups, along with consistent personal/individualized coaching, he really goes above and beyond. Although he'll piss you off something fierce sometimes ;)

I've learned a lot about disc golf form over the past 13 months, and in the process...even more about myself. If you're familiar with HUB, you know he talks about patience. I'm an impatient person; putting hours and hours of work into something, and not seeing instant results is really frustrating. Almost makes you want to shatter a hockey stick on a warehouse wall...

I've had to accept the fact that in order to achieve my goal, there is no magic bullet. No quick fix. Yes you will have some mini "ahh ha" moments along the way, and those are important, but for me they are few and far between. The rest of the time its just good ol' fashion work. Practice - Post video - Make adjustments - Rinse - Repeat. It really is that simple and hard at the same time.

If you do find a faster route hit me up. Until then, I'll be over here grinding away :thmbup:

Yeah, this makes me feel MUCH better, thanks Jet :clap:hahaha. You're basically telling me I'm not going to be able to throw well for years or longer and just be constantly mashing myself into the ground day after day, week after week with little to NO results, haha. That sounds insane. NEVER in any sport, has that happened for me. ALL sports I've played, no matter how hard, all have breakthroughs and eventually, or sooner than later have major breakthroughs that produce majorly different results. Then it's just fine tuning from there. And yet it seems for some odd reason, that disc golf is the only sport where no matter what, you'll just keep barely making any progress for years?!?!? That doesn't sound right at all. But who knows, maybe it is. It seems like it at this point. Maybe it's the ONE sport where it just takes forever and unless you're super lucky, you'll never make major breakthroughs in a reasonable amount of time. :wall:

I agree with you in your fist comments. Sidewinder is more or less the end all be all instructor with THE most videos and ideas and markups etc. We are all WAY better off having all of his amazing info and instruction available to reference all the time. I can't even imagine what it was like 5-10 years ago trying to learn how to throw well. Talk about a living nightmare, uggghhh. I have no doubt that SW's videos and instruction will eventually lead you to an amazing throw. But my brain does not connect to a lot of the content or ideas. Not his fault, it's mine. For some reason my brain is not understanding a lot of the things he describes. Not because I don't understand the ideas, but because I don't understand the way he phrases the concepts. And I do realize there is no magic bullet and it will take work. I'm still here right??? Haha. But what I don't understand is HOW the arm works in the swing. It's just not clicking. The closest thing I've had to feeling it is with HUB's water bottle drill. But still, even that can't get me to feel it the proper way and translate that feeling to an actual disc.

I too am an impatient person sometimes, and especially with sports or things I know well! And even more frustrated by this process coming from a background of knowing how to swing a golf club, tennis racquet, baseball bat and hockey stick at a very high level for my whole life. I know it will take work and lots and lots of practice. It's just so strange and frustrating that I'm able to understand everything else, or eventually understand it, and then also do it, or at least know I'll be able to do it. But NOT be able to understand or use my arm the correct way to throw the disc.

And if anyone can answer my idea about the towel whip idea I had last night and that whole feeling and motion, that would be helpful as well. Is throwing a disc just like cracking a towel, where your hand pulls back a little right at the last second to make the end of the towel WHIP forward super fast and crack? Or is that whole train of thought completely off base and not right at all? An answer to that idea/question would be very helpful and even if the idea is wrong, someone letting me know it's wrong would let me stop wondering if it IS the right idea.

Thanks everyone

Another idea just popped into my head after seeing some of those graphics from SW. Should I be throwing a Disc very much like a one handed backhand in tennis? Meaning, set up for the hit with proper foot work, get behind the shot, then move into the ball with most of my weight, BUT into a braced front side, then right before I hit the ball, all forward movement stops and slams into my braced right side and just let my arm swing through hard and fast?

If so, I can do that and do it well! I had a wicked one hand backhand near the end of my tennis playing days. I started out with two handed, and as I got older and stronger, switched over naturally, because I already was using a two handed backhand sort of like Jim Courier's. Where he starts out with two hands and like it's on a bat. Then as I would come through the hit, I'd let go of the racquet with my left hand and rip over the ball with my left. It was like a hybrid two hand/one hand. Then I just eventually dropped the two hands and went to one, when I was strong enough, and loved it so much more! Tommy Haas, Pete Sampras and Federer were who I modeled my swing after. It turned into one of my favorite shots to hit actually near the end of my playing days. It was a little less accurate and less repeatable than my two hand, but if it was in my wheel house, I could just POUND on it with a TON of topspin or flat if I wanted. So much more spin and power available. Plus it just freaks people out. You can hit such odd angles with it, as opposed to a two hand, where the shot is much more telegraphed to your opponent based on how you setup to the ball.

So tennis backhand? Good idea? Should I just start doing that all the time to warm up and to get the "feel" down?

I started out with two handed, and as I got older and stronger, switched over naturally, because I already was using a two handed backhand sort of like Jim Courier's. Where he starts out with two hands and like it's on a bat. Then as I would come through the hit, I'd let go of the racquet with my left hand and rip over the ball with my left. It was like a hybrid two hand/one hand.

Tennis backhand is the closest to disc golf form there is out there. Also, check out the battering ram videos (my favorite analogy). Then focus on the exterior of the disc and pushing it out away from you, and you'll get a massive whip.

Disc golf form is super difficult because it's a lefty golf/baseball swing with the hips. You're basically an adult trying to learn to switch hit. Not as easy as when you were a kid.

Tennis backhand is the closest to disc golf form there is out there. Also, check out the battering ram videos (my favorite analogy). Then focus on the exterior of the disc and pushing it out away from you, and you'll get a massive whip.

Disc golf form is super difficult because it's a lefty golf/baseball swing with the hips. You're basically an adult trying to learn to switch hit. Not as easy as when you were a kid.

Ok, that's good and bad to hear. And yeah, I've watched the battering ram video, but I don't have anything in my place like a ladder or even close. I'll have to try and figure something out and work on that drill as well if I can find something.

That's good that the disc golf throw is a lot like the Tennis backhand, because I had a great one hand backhand but bad, because once again, you use a LOT of your arm to hit a one hand back hand, in addition to your body. Whereas everyone keeps saying your arm is barely involved in a disc golf throw. So....??? Which one is it?

And I can never get a straight answer from anyone about this topic. In the disc golf throw, how much of your arm is responsible for the distance and when, and how much is your body? Is it like 10/90, 30/70, 50/50? Not knowing how much I'm supposed to use my arm, vs just letting it be dead and whipping it is very frustrating and something I feel is an extremely fundamental part of the throw. I can tell you exactly how and when I apply power with my arm or other body parts for a baseball throw, bat swing, a slapshot, lacrosse shot, golf, tennis etc.

And yet I've never read anywhere or been told by anyone how much of the throw is the arm and when, and how much is the body, percentage wise? That would be a HUGE help. Especially if your arm is responsible for some or a lot of the power, WHEN is that power turning on/coming into play? That would help so much. Thanks