• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Texas States

Whats the word on the rules drama, Bradley?

Spotter was telling players that they could play from were they went out.

It was in the rule book, however, that you play from the drop zone on your first O.B

Hole 10 is what you're referring too I think.

False, that course is genius. The sprayers will be getting a mist blown back in their face out there... those fairways are like tina fey, smart and tight.

Good one, but tight unfairways aren't meant for high level golf, that stuff is for the am's as they can rely more on luck than skill

Good one, but tight unfairways aren't meant for high level golf, that stuff is for the am's as they can rely more on luck than skill

Getting through trees is SKILL. I'm not even an AM and I can tell you I get more luck on open fairways than in the woods.

Have you even played Manor? Where are these unfairways? This is funny. Luck.. haha as if luck would get you a similar score as f'kin shredding it.

Houck talks about luck vs. skill with too many trees and narrow fairways and no one has a fit. You guys understand this concept, but why does it make you so angry?

This is from a review of a similar course we have here in Houston that kind of sums up my point, I did not write this review:

Cons: The most notable aspect of this course which I have not mentioned yet is the incredible difficulty. The first four holes are open, but after that every hole winds through thick forest and is constrained to incredibly narrow fairways. By the second nine I was relieved to see that any fairway was ten meters wide, because they were often much narrower. I consider myself an experienced player but I often double or triple bogeyed after bouncing back and forth between the brush on each side of the fairway.

This difficulty would have been one of the the courses greatest strengths except that the difficulty often seemed unfair and frustrating rather than fun. Often many trees were located in already narrow fairways which made strategies and skill irrelevant. Hitting or missing the trees was simply a matter of luck.

I hope this guy never comes to NC... He'll have a coniption.

"oh noooooo, the trees. now i have to throw a specific shot on a line. there's no skill in that."

Manor is basically considered the crown jewel of Austin.

Roy G and MetC don't touch it

Also...look at that top 10...lots of Prodigy down at 10th place. Lets see if the locals can keep it going

Lol at the hatred. And Wysocki? Killing it.

Houck talks about luck vs. skill with too many trees and narrow fairways

Hmm, that's strange. My home course (Harry Myers) is a Houck design and there are at least four fairways (5,6,7&9) with very narrow throwing lanes all the way down. And there are a couple more (13,14,15&16) with trees across the fairway that are "strainers" you have to throw through. Good thing he also included some open fairways that require some "skill". :D

Curtis

Dallas has some insane winds going on right now and I imagine the conditions are the same in Austin. My hat's off (literally) to those guys.

Curtis