• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Colt

Agreed that lots of factors are involved, including possibly different putting strokes. Inside about 35 feet, I have a "putting stroke" might be best called a hybrid push/spin putt. Outside that range I'm using a basic RHBH throw with the emphasis on getting a good spin on the disc, powering down for closer shots (one reason I like high glide, maybe?)

I don't throw as far as you; I think I got the Colt out to around 190-200 feet at the range, throwing hard and flat and not really caring about accuracy. My Foxbat gets that with less power put into it. The Foxbat indeed is more understable and drifts right more, as well. But on those tight tunnels... nothing is beating the flat, straight flight of the Colt.

(As an aside: how flat and straight does a VRoc go?)

At any rate, we agree the Colt is a very good disc.

Okay, that does explain a lot of the differences in our experiences. I push putt out to about 50 feet. With the Colt, I can still use a basic putting stroke out to maybe 40 feet and I'd modify that to a step/jump putt from about 40-50 feet and then do more of a stand still throw like what you're describing for approaches 50+ feet out.

I've thrown one champion VRoc and one GStar VRoc3 so my experience there is somewhat limited. Both were quite HSS. The GStar VRoc3 started out going very straight and pretty far with a healthy fade at the end which was a flight I really liked. However, after a few weeks it started really losing the fade and just going very straight, which was okay, but it competed with other mids I like better for straight mid shots (Roc3 and worn in XT Roc for example) so it lost its place in the bag. The champion VRoc was also pretty HSS with healthy fade, but I felt like it didn't really get enough distance to compete with other mids like the Vector or a fresh XT Roc for that slot in my bag. It was basically glideless, so I doubt it would be super useful to you. Maybe the VRoc in GStar or a more base type of plastic would be better; I'd definitely try one again if they released it in XT.

Okay, that does explain a lot of the differences in our experiences. I push putt out to about 50 feet. With the Colt, I can still use a basic putting stroke out to maybe 40 feet and I'd modify that to a step/jump putt from about 40-50 feet and then do more of a stand still throw like what you're describing for approaches 50+ feet out.

I've thrown one champion VRoc and one GStar VRoc3 so my experience there is somewhat limited. Both were quite HSS. The GStar VRoc3 started out going very straight and pretty far with a healthy fade at the end which was a flight I really liked. However, after a few weeks it started really losing the fade and just going very straight, which was okay, but it competed with other mids I like better for straight mid shots (Roc3 and worn in XT Roc for example) so it lost its place in the bag. The champion VRoc was also pretty HSS with healthy fade, but I felt like it didn't really get enough distance to compete with other mids like the Vector or a fresh XT Roc for that slot in my bag. It was basically glideless, so I doubt it would be super useful to you. Maybe the VRoc in GStar or a more base type of plastic would be better; I'd definitely try one again if they released it in XT.

Thanks for the VRoc info.

BTW, allow me to re-iterate about the forehand flick upshot with the Colt and how straight that shot turned out to be. That might keep the Colt in my bag as a utility "get out of jail" disc, if nothing else...

UPDATE: Because the Colt is making my Core bag, I went to Disc Stalker to get another DX Prototype Colt before they sold out. Took the new Colt and Wave to the course for a quick 2-disc test round, and had some interesting results.

My original Colt is white, and this new Colt is orange, which is how I'll refer to them. The white Colt is 172g, the orange Colt is 175g. Maybe it's my lying eyes, but the white Colt looks a touch more 'squared off' than the orange Colt, but they're pretty much the same.

The white Colt was stable from the get-go, maybe a touch of drift right (RHBH) on full power throws. The orange Colt is more understable, and actually turns a bit more at speed than the white Colt. I actually hyzer-flipped the orange Colt today on a full power throw and it flipped up and went straight; if I do a hyzer-flip to the white Colt, I get a... well, a hyzer shot.

And despite all the commentary in earlier posts on this thread... the orange Colt actually does have some glide(!). I threw a putt from 25 ft. and it sailed clean OVER the basket, so I now know what others were saying about the glide. When I threw longer shots, I could tell this orange Colt had some glide to it that the white one wasn't giving me (including during a round earlier today). And this orange Colt seems to go farther than the white Colt.

Maybe it was just the day I'm having, I'm going to try to get out to the range (school yard) this weekend and throw them for side-by-side comparisons. Whatever the case, the Colt affirmed the mold's greatness when that 60 ft. birdie throw went straight to the chains and stuck to them like glue. This really is an amazing approach disc!...

UPDATE: Because the Colt is making my Core bag, I went to Disc Stalker to get another DX Prototype Colt before they sold out. Took the new Colt and Wave to the course for a quick 2-disc test round, and had some interesting results.

My original Colt is white, and this new Colt is orange, which is how I'll refer to them. The white Colt is 172g, the orange Colt is 175g. Maybe it's my lying eyes, but the white Colt looks a touch more 'squared off' than the orange Colt, but they're pretty much the same.

The white Colt was stable from the get-go, maybe a touch of drift right (RHBH) on full power throws. The orange Colt is more understable, and actually turns a bit more at speed than the white Colt. I actually hyzer-flipped the orange Colt today on a full power throw and it flipped up and went straight; if I do a hyzer-flip to the white Colt, I get a... well, a hyzer shot.

And despite all the commentary in earlier posts on this thread... the orange Colt actually does have some glide(!). I threw a putt from 25 ft. and it sailed clean OVER the basket, so I now know what others were saying about the glide. When I threw longer shots, I could tell this orange Colt had some glide to it that the white one wasn't giving me (including during a round earlier today). And this orange Colt seems to go farther than the white Colt.

Maybe it was just the day I'm having, I'm going to try to get out to the range (school yard) this weekend and throw them for side-by-side comparisons. Whatever the case, the Colt affirmed the mold's greatness when that 60 ft. birdie throw went straight to the chains and stuck to them like glue. This really is an amazing approach disc!...

You sure they're both protos?

You sure they're both protos?

They both say they are, and both are squarish. Like I said, maybe it's my lying eyes that one really looks more squared off than the other. And two discs of the same mold can have slight differences, so for one to be slightly more understable than the other does not totally shock me. They're not all that far apart...

Maybe they made their retooled version a proto as well? Or maybe it's the color making the stability difference...its really too bad there's not a better way to track what you're getting when you buy them. Like a run number, etc. tying to the flight characteristics.

Maybe they made their retooled version a proto as well? Or maybe it's the color making the stability difference...its really too bad there's not a better way to track what you're getting when you buy them. Like a run number, etc. tying to the flight characteristics.

That's why I'm going to rotate them... get both of them a little wear and tear so they settle in. I suspect they'll be more similar as they wear in some. Then I'll choose one and wear it out and have the other as a backup.

Interesting! I've only thrown the XT protos (5 of them with both stamps all different colors), but they all seemed to fly about the same for me except my yellow 167 which is a little lighter than the others and thus flies predictably a little more understable. Maybe there is a little more variance in the DX or maybe they did retool the mold before they finished running all the protos. This just says to me that I need to buy even more XT protos soon before they're all sold out and I'm stuck with only the production run because I really like mine. Stupid disc golf is very draining on my wallet lately. ;)

Interesting! I've only thrown the XT protos (5 of them with both stamps all different colors), but they all seemed to fly about the same for me except my yellow 167 which is a little lighter than the others and thus flies predictably a little more understable. Maybe there is a little more variance in the DX or maybe they did retool the mold before they finished running all the protos. This just says to me that I need to buy even more XT protos soon before they're all sold out and I'm stuck with only the production run because I really like mine. Stupid disc golf is very draining on my wallet lately. ;)

That's why I bought the second DX Colt... because I know the prototypes will one day be go away, and I'm very concerned that the retooled (especially GStar) Colts won't be quite the same ( see the Daedalus for an example of that).

My suspicion is that my first Colt is the (slight) aberration, what with your commentary on the glide matching my experience today with the second one...

I have 3 XT's one Star Stamp and the other with the Production Proto Stamp all 175. I also have a DX 175. THose all fly pretty similar to each other and seem to be in line with your description of your White Colt. I purchased 2 of the pre-release g-star and they are a little more domey and noticeably less stable. In fact I putted from about 90 feet flat footed and had no issues getting to the basket with the Gstar. Lots of glide. I'm really liking this disc and see it staying in the bag.

A little more proto DX colt love here with a 9 hole putter round from this morning. I am really interested to see how different these things fly in premium plastic and after the retool.

Nice video.

I got a chance to test my Orange Colt (the more glide-y one) in windy conditions today. The Colt was pretty solid and resisted being beat up by the wind as long as I threw it flat and didn't get the nose up too much. Hit the chastity belt from 100 ft. out on one hole... never seen anything this consistently accurate... except maybe the real Colt revolver...

Nice video.

I got a chance to test my Orange Colt (the more glide-y one) in windy conditions today. The Colt was pretty solid and resisted being beat up by the wind as long as I threw it flat and didn't get the nose up too much. Hit the chastity belt from 100 ft. out on one hole... never seen anything this consistently accurate... except maybe the real Colt revolver...

Haha nice! I have a G Star one on order that I am excited to try out when it gets here.

I love my Colt for driving. Between my Pig and my Colt I can pretty much hit any line under 275'.

Haha nice! I have a G Star one on order that I am excited to try out when it gets here.

Let us know how you like it. I have a GStar Aviar P&A. Putts decently, but I never liked the soft and "floppy" feel of it in my hand. Curious how the GStar Colt will be...

Let us know how you like it. I have a GStar Aviar P&A. Putts decently, but I never liked the soft and "floppy" feel of it in my hand. Curious how the GStar Colt will be...

Will do. That is one of my main concerns with it as well.

I spoke too soon about the Colt. My last couple of rounds I leaned on it heavily and it's definitely earned a spot in my bag. For tight, low ceiling shots anywhere from 50'-200' where I need it to go straight, I've been reaching for the Colt. I'm kind of pissed at myself for declaring the Pure my putter of choice and buying a stack of them in all different plastics, because now the Colt is looking like a better driving and approach putter for me.

I didn't realize they are making them in GStar. I was staying away from the base plastics but if I see it in GStar I'm checking one out for sure.