• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some painting on my multicolor and the time is a direct correlation of the shade of color you are looking for. I did several 1 hour applications to watch for shade changing and learn more about the painting technique with different colors. However, I noticed significant color changes around 4 hours to as much as 6 hours. Could be my painting dye mixture or other factors that I am unaware of... so time may vary per color.

BennettUA worked another up for me
cb.jpg

hot damn
(I was reading a few of your painting comments; how long did you let those colors sit?)

I replied more specifically to you in a PM. But for everyone else. I let these sit overnight. Except for the blues which are 2 coats. They weren't as dark as I wanted also tangerine and kelly green are 2 coats. Those 2 mixes are extremely runny and don't go on as dark. I've considered doing all the greens except dark with 1 more coat and also old rose to make it look a little different from mauve.

I'm saying that after 1 1/2 hrs and high temp some parts were just a kind of light brown, some parts were black. Same with the red except it was 45 min, some parts are red some are orange. Lucky for me I was doing a tree, anything else and it would have been ruined. I doubt that I'll dye another clear Ion.

thanks for the explanation, that does suck donkey dong, some of those Ions you've done have been amazing.

If I had just read that you put down 25 colors on a disc, I would think it would look like a Technicolor MESS.
But this is a sweet design, and a great execution -- it's not "rainbowy," it's not overly distracting, the colors give the design a sense of motion.
It's one thing to get a bunch of colors on a disc. It's another to make a disc with a bunch of colors look beautiful.
Job VERY well done, eky8!

Glad you like it ManOnTheDoor!
This was his idea though -- all I did was change a kite to a disc, and dye it. Kudos to my man in OKC for a great idea!

Here is a much better picture of my multi-color dye. For those who are interested in the colors used. From the inside out. Orange, Lemon Yellow, Golden Yellow, Sunshine Orange, Tangerine, Wine, Scarlet, (The blues) Light Blue, Aquamarine, Evening Blue, Royal Blue, (The greens) Light Green, Mint Green, Kelly Green, Dark Green, (The Pinks) Sea Coral, Fuchsia, Mauve, Old Rose, (The Purples) Purple, Amethyst. Plum, Orchid. Plum may be the darkest color I've ever seen. It's darker than the black. Black for the border and golden yellow and teal in the marbling. Here it is on a Gold Line Havoc.
2vmbkuu.jpg

I.............it..........um (that's me being speechless).:clap:

Awesome dye Eky8! I like the design and execution of it- Not just trying to squeeze a bunch of big blocks of color into a disc. I bet it looks even more elegant in person/in the air.

I'm saying that after 1 1/2 hrs and high temp some parts were just a kind of light brown, some parts were black. Same with the red except it was 45 min, some parts are red some are orange. Lucky for me I was doing a tree, anything else and it would have been ruined. I doubt that I'll dye another clear Ion.
Don't know your dying knowledge, but did you use the crappy rit powder or the good rit powder?

Here's an Iowa Hawkeyes yin yang design on a champion destroyer.

l.jpg

Nice idea, but but my wife says it looks like umm... Franks and beans.

Clear plastics like that don't take dye evenly at all. A vector took 3 hours of scarlet before you couldn't see the prints and other random artifacts so plainly anymore.

I still haven't dyed an ion... I've got two mediums still though.

LoPan would you say that's specific for MVP? I've done a clear cryztal Buzzz that didn't seem to take as long. Wish I took notes back then...

I've dyed crystal clear latitude opto plastic. DGA's clear sparkle plastic and prodiscus clear premium plastic and had no problem whatsoever getting good dyes. I was going to dye my vector but now I'm thinking I don't want to.

I'm no great dyer but the one clear Opto I did seemed to take dye no worse, or take longer, than other discs I've done.

I do dye at very low heat and for close to 25 min for black lines though and don't know if this makes a difference.

My first run at a full color dye....Red to black....turned out pretty well
0824111255.jpg

Ok I have a qestion. If I were to redye this disc another color say scarlett or orange. Would the black dye make the scarlett look purple and the orange look brown. This is my test disc, but would still like some feed back on what to expect.

not a hawkeye fan either, know too many cyclones. But I love the thought of that image, the hardest part for me is coming up with an original idea, and this is just such a great idea IMHO, nice work:thmbup:

Todd, same thing, I love the image you used, i hope the little lady loves it!

Ok I have a qestion. If I were to redye this disc another color say scarlett or orange. Would the black dye make the scarlett look purple and the orange look brown. This is my test disc, but would still like some feed back on what to expect.

The black dye will make any color you put over it look black. You can always dye a darker color over anything but never a lighter color over darker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts