• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Flak

I was lucky enough to test a 3rd run Flak for 2 rounds this weekend during the Rockwall Open. I was a owner of both a 1st and 2nd run Flak so that gave me a good base to test the 3rd run.

The front putter pocket now has a hard shell backing, as well as the bottom of the main storage compartment. This means the bag no longer sags on top of the discs, which was one of my main complaints about the previous runs.

Although this proto did not have the new hard shell internal frame installed, it did have a improved design of the PVC frame. This frame allowed the discs to sit higher in the bag. One of my dislikes about the previous Flak was that you could feel the bottom PVC support through the bag on your back when wearing it. This new Frame was smaller and I could not feel anything on my back but soft, breathable mesh. This was a huge plus.

Halfway through our second round some rain clouds blew in. The new rain fly snaps made it very easy to put the rain fly on and take it off, and the bag (and everything inside) didn't see a drop of rain.

There are 2 new pockets inside of the main storage compartment. These are the perfect size for smartphones, keys, PDGA rulebook, or whatever. Nice addition.

Other improvements I noticed were:
-Double stitching throughout
-padded mesh on the entire back of bag
-rubber feet on the bottom of the bag. There was 4, one in each corner. Wes said a 5th right in the middle will be included on production models.

I did notice a couple things that could be improved that I pointed out to Wes. On the main putter pocket up front, the zipper was installed too high, and i couldn't fit a putter in there. He knew of this issue and said the zippers will be installed lower and won't be an issue.

Another thing I noticed was that the pencil pockets are too deep for the small scorecard pencils. Several times I pushed my pencil too deep in the pocket and wasn't able to get it out without pushing it up from the bottom. Not a huge deal, but can be easily fixed.

My second run Flak broke when one of the straps came loose from where they are stitched to the bottom of the bag. I believe this happened because the straps are stitched straight into the bag. This causes all of the weight to be put on the bottom of the stitching when the bag is on your back. If the straps are stitched in at an angle, this would allow all of the weight to be evenly distributed along the stitch. I pointed this out as well, and hopefully it will be implemented on the production 3rd runs.

Overall, this is a very solid bag. I had it loaded with 22 discs, 2 towels, snacks, golden retriever, birdie bag, phone, wallet, keys, minis, 2 32oz water bottles, and it felt like I had nothing on my back. It was able to carry everything I needed for 2 tournament rounds with room to spare. I was actually kinda sad when i had to unload everything back into my Innova comp and hand the Flak back to Wes. I really think you 3rd Run Flak owners will be very pleased with your purchase!

Thanks for the nice writeup, Stu. I am pumped for my 3rd run Flak. Really hoping all the kinks with the internal frame are worked out and ready to roll.

wow stu. now i REALLY CAN'T WAIT! i hope the things you mentioned are fixed by next month. maybe someone from hyzerbomb can tell us?

Wait. What are they showing off freak?

And any info on the trade in program HB?

from the email i got some will ship on the 3rd and the rest will ship on the 20th. i think im not gonna get mine till after the 20th cause i ordered towards the end of last month. if you ordered yours a couple month ago im gonna guess you'll have it in time

from the email i got some will ship on the 3rd and the rest will ship on the 20th. i think im not gonna get mine till after the 20th cause i ordered towards the end of last month. if you ordered yours a couple month ago im gonna guess you'll have it in time

When did HB get back to you? I am waiting for a response from them...

hopefully all of us who did make pre orders will have them within 10 days. they said they should be here before thanksgiving!

I was hoping to maybe get mine this week, or next. I've been waiting months and months on pre-order, and I hoped to have my new Flak before I leave for my next tournament on the 16th.

Just got an email from Wes.

3rd runs are not up to their standards so everyone who preordered gets a refund and 10% off of ordering a future Flak.

I was really looking forward to my Flak and am disappointed that it isn't coming right now, but I commend Hyzerbomb for maintaining high standards in the quality of their product.

How do you re-order a third run Flak now? I've had one pre-ordered since August, and got my PayPal refund but on the website now it just says "SOLD OUT" for new Flak orders. Also, how do you use to 10% discount we're supposed to get now? I just want to go ahead an re-order the same bag I had ordered, and wait the eight weeks.

Latest posts