• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2021 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Regional BBQ/beer/local pro, GO!

BBQ: Lots of choices. Black Hog has sponsored local ice bowls and the Blues BBQ truck is very good, but my favorite is the Five Pigs BBQ truck near Clark's Run course. Honorable mention: Vanish Farmhouse Brewery, also near Clark's Run, has decent beer and very good BBQ (and oysters!) on the weekends.

Beer: Gotta go with Flying Dog, our local brewery. Gonzo Imperial Porter/Raging Bitch Belgian IPA are my winter/summer go-tos.

Local pro: Probably Biscoe, but more for his course design work. :D

BBQ: Kat's in Santa Fe, Texas or Killen's in Pearland, Texas
Bier: Saint Arnold Brewing their Summer Pils, H-Town Pils, Pumpkinator, Art Car IPA, Amber Ale so many good brews
Local Pro: Seth Talbott heading out on tour full time this year out of Brazoria County.

BBQ- The Barbecue Exchange in Gordonsville (about 10 minutes from Raptor's Roost) is great and has received a lot of national acclaim. Lately I am working on a course at Hampden Sydney College and have been enjoying the heck out of the Fishin' Pig down there. Virginia places often kind of suck at brisket but theirs is top notch.

Beer- I don't drink anymore so don't know first hand. Former DGCR celeb Vegan Ray has purchased Maltese Brewing in Fredericksburg though so I will go with that.

Local Pro- They are mostly my friends so I will decline to choose.

BBQ: St. Louis-style pork steaks slathered in original-flavor Maull's

Beer: Any brown beer will do. Give me the brown one. No, I don't care about all that. Just give me a brown one. Please stop. No, I don't know any of those words. Just a brown one please. I promise I'll like it. I like all of the brown ones. Okay can we not? Please? Just a brown one. No, I don't know those words either. Why is this so hard?

Local pro: She's kind of semi-retired but McKayla Thomas is really nice and a great competitor.

BBQ - Pulled pork with mustard sauce, specifically from Smokin' Pig.
Beer - Thomas Creek Red Ale
Local Pro - Sarah Cunningham I guess?

Deet's BBQ is the best I've had, but I don't get out much.

Beer? Black Cloister closed a couple years ago, so I guess I'd go with Earnest Brew Works.

Local Pro, hmmmm. Well, Chuck Kennedy grew up here, IIRC.

Regional BBQ/beer/local pro, GO!

There's no such thing as BBQ in Denver, so I'm gonna do my home region of east TN

pork butt and tomato-based sauce/ Yee-Haw brewing / Chris Dickerson

Although Memphis has east TN beaten in BBQ and beer. I don't know of any pros from Memphis.

I guess I'll do one for CO...

elk meat or Rocky Mountain Oysters/ Coors / Eagle McMahon

Literally so many beers to choose from in CO, so I went with the most iconic. New Belgium and Oskar Blues are also big players, and there's a plethora of amazing small craft breweries. Almost makes up for the profound dearth of good bbq... almost...

BBQ
3d5057f6c185591318672b9db21af156.jpg

Beer
AW-Exterior-1.png

local pro(s)
2178533c-66f0-4978-9892-099be5995dd6_kylecover.jpg

recently...
438423_cf76763fa3134a5da1729c868d26ed6f~mv2.jpeg

...and also in the last few years, this guy...
Simon-Lizotte-USDGC-1024x684.jpg

City BBQ (KC-style small chain)
Yellow Springs Brewery Vox Populi. It was a limited run but my name band's drummer gave me some. Tasty
Christine Jennings (Innova) or Bart Kowalewski (Discmania)

Most local to me;

Dave Poe's BBQ/ Red Hare Brewing/ Alden Harris

My man!

When I drink beer (seldom), it's Leinenkugels here too. Brewed in Chippewa Falls, WI....25 minutes from where I grew up.

Rumor has it that I was quite possibly named after one of the brothers......

years ago i called the number on the bottle and demanded to speak to jacob

the worker paused and were like who tf is jacob

and i said its on their bottle and i just need to talk to jacob

that i had some concerns about his company and the business theyre doing

the worker said jacob died/fired/quit or doesnt work there anymoar apparently

La Barbeque/Live Oak Brewing/Nate Perkins

Tough one for the bbq considering where i live but its my fav so far. Not a big beer guy but that place has a DG course...sooo

BBQ: Chandos carne asada street tacos
Local brew: Sierra Nevada Pale ale
local pro: Josh Anthon

Not much BBQ selection around here, but that's arguably the weakest of our 3 categories.

BBQ: Slows BBQ
Beer: Founders, pretty much everything there is great, KBS is popular but I'm more partial to the lighter beers, Pale Gold is my favorite
Pro: Kyle Klein

BBQ - North Carolina vinegar, although I love a molasses-ey pulled pork too.

Beer - Leinenkugel's summer shandy. Raspberry lemonade is my jam but they're all good.

Local pro - Schweebles without a doubt. Schwebby lives not quite an hour down the road. Just about the nicest guy in DG. Shoutout to MJ down in Charlotte. Mooky's Cup '09, MJ is walking by my car and stops just to check out my cart/umbrella combo and randomly talk for a moment in the freezing rain. I had no idea who he was. He's just that unassuming and nice of a guy.

BBQ - North Carolina vinegar, although I love a molasses-ey pulled pork too.

Beer - Leinenkugel's summer shandy. Raspberry lemonade is my jam but they're all good.

Local pro - Schweebles without a doubt. Schwebby lives not quite an hour down the road. Just about the nicest guy in DG. Shoutout to MJ down in Charlotte. Mooky's Cup '09, MJ is walking by my car and stops just to check out my cart/umbrella combo and randomly talk for a moment in the freezing rain. I had no idea who he was. He's just that unassuming and nice of a guy.

I'm still wrapping my head around a southern boy drinking Lenies. That's a Wisconsin thing!