• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Innova Disc Real Armspeed Real Performance Riddle

Just talking about the order the discs would be in if you were trying to throw them perfectly straight (order determined by power required to fly str8)
All discs fly str8 with little turn and mnimal fade if thrown at a specific speed.
An overstable yet slow whippet requires more power to keep straight than a faster understable roadrunner for example......I think this is interesting even if most of you don't and it helps to understand discs better.

first....
http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/pdf/JoesFlightChart1.pdf

go download joes flight chart he's already done this (see "power requirement).

your question assumes that all discs are the same and the only factor that makes them differ is arm speed....

the design of each disc determines it's propensity to fade, turnover, etc.... as a result... IF YOU THROW A FIREBIRD and a SIDEWINDER (both speed 10 discs) at their SUGGESTED speed rating aka arm speed) they will both fly completely different.... This is due to aerodynamics.

by definition, Innova has done your experiment and called the rating you seek ("SPEED").

optidisc... i would have thought you would know the answer to your question cold...:confused:

GGT does not answer the question at all....I was asking for keeping the disc straight not flying by intended flight characteristics......a whippet requires far more pull than a dragoan to fly straight but according to GGT a dragon requires more speed than a whippet. I dont think this is that hard. :wall:

i think ggt and innova are assuming you are already throwing it straight

come on you know what I am talking about

I find it interesting how little speed a katana requires to be thrown straight

It's a good exercise and yields some interesting results

I would like to see discs categorized in this way as well as the traditional formats...I think it would help newcomers understand what to buy

i think you are talking about power and effort...not speed...how fast your arm is moving has little to do with the disc going straight....the Katana's speed is still rated at 13, which still makes it one of the fastest discs available, it just takes less effort or power to get the disc at a 13 speed.

Biggest thing this thread seems to be showing me is something I feared already....my arm speed is weak!! For some reason, I did like bosses I had, though I've lost them all and have none in my bag at the moment. Otherwise, everything I throw and like, tends to fall at the bottom of the lists.

(disclaimer...if you don't like my thread please ignore and go away)

I am wondering if anyone really knows Innova

Simple Question That I am wondering if anyone can answer

Every Disc if thrown at the proper speed will fly perfectly straight from release to the earth.

Assuming all weights are equal and all discs are brand new Star Plastic place these discs in the order of arm speed required to promote an absolute straight flight. No high speed turn and no meathook fade.

Beast
Boss
Destroyer
Eagle
Excalibur
Firebird
Katana
Leopard
Monster
Orc
Sidewinder
Tee Bird
Tee Rex
Valkyrie
Wraith

This is an exercise in knowledge and cut and paste skills

I am sure few will understand the question and many won'y care....I find it an interesting way to understand the full spectrum of discs out there.

I only looked at your post and did not scroll down, I think this is critical to this test. I am a Discraft man mostly but I will give this a shot without looking at flight charts either.

Monster
Firebird
Tee Rex
Boss
Excalibur
Destroyer
Teebird
Wraith
Orc
Beast
Eagle
Katana
Valkyrie
Sidewinder
Leopard

I don't think this information would really be all that useful to know, considering this is brand new plastic. I threw a brand new champ leopard yesterday and couldn't get it to fly very far before it would start it's fade. Earlier this year, I threw a brand new star boss into a 30 mile per hour headwind as hard as i could throw and it still didn't turn.

Firebird
Monster
Excalibur
Tee Rex
Boss
Destroyer
Wraith
Orc
Eagle
Katana
Tee Bird
Beast
Valkyrie
Sidewinder
Leopard

What do I win? :hfive:

armspeed/power and those ratings are deceptive. what different throwers with the same exact disc fly very differently. when i began i was flipping teebirds, but not valks. i think the fade of the valk was saving me. i would throw a bird hard as i could and it would flip into the ground. i watched other big arms pull it smoothly and hit like 400' ten years ago. i think you just have to find the discs in the range for YOUR armspeed and technique. i've seen dudes doing "wrong" techniques crushing drives and winning big prizes. like someone tell Brett Favre to quit throwing off his back foot right?

armspeed determines the amount of turn/flip, and i think that is very overlooked. we are always attracted to 'speed' and 'fade'. i could never control the dang hyzer flip, so i stuck with flat driving and settled for less D. now i want to hit 400' dang it.

So, whats the answer then? Or are people just going to keep guessing?

Sign me up for that club.

Is it really possible to make something like a firebird really fly PERFECTLY straight regardless of how hard you throw it?
Yeah, you just have to throw it low enough to hit the ground before it fades. For many of those discs you have to limit how far they go by throwing them super low to get a straight flight with no fade.

OK here it goes, off the hip

MONSTER
FIREBIRD
XCALIBER
DESTROYER
BOSS
TEEREX
WRAITH
ORC
EAGLE
TEEBIRD
VALKYRIE
BEAST
KATANA
SIDEWINDER
LEOPARD

Yeah, you just have to throw it low enough to hit the ground before it fades. For many of those discs you have to limit how far they go by throwing them super low to get a straight flight with no fade.
in theory thrown with enough speed a firebird on a low line would fly straight.

So, whats the answer then? Or are people just going to keep guessing?

I just think a supplemental list across all manufacturers would be helpful and less confusing for many.
I also find it interesting how many different lists are created. Not so easy it seems

Latest posts