• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] The Servo - Fairway Driver

Hmm, I'm going to wait and see as long as I can hold out on this one. Sounds a bit more stable than I expected, and sometimes that gets adjusted on the next run. I was really hoping for a slower version of my FR Shock, which was a nicely understable disc :)

Course last time I said I would hold out, I pre-ordered the Resistor with the HAlloween stamp :p

I think the lighter Servo is the ticket for you. Esp when it gets beaten in nicely.

Now we need MVP to come up with speed 7 understable driver then it will be the greatest thing since sex and sipping whiskey.

Watched Servo 2 vid again and I counted 11 birdies = 43. Based on SSE for Oak Ledges is 48 (1000 rated). Each throw is about 8 rating points so Mike's round yesterday with snow/cold and just two discs (Servo and Ion) is rated about 1040! Wow! Oh man, the man with no shirt is ready for prime time! I been playing/practice with no shirt here in Orlando (needing those free Vitamin D3)!

Hah, thanks for the kind words but there were a few re-tees. The putts were first try and a lot of the drives were, including 11 and 18, but there were some drives where I slipped and took a mulligan.

I think the lighter Servo is the ticket for you. Esp when it gets beaten in nicely.

Now we need MVP to come up with speed 7 understable driver then it will be the greatest thing since sex and sipping whiskey.

I just pictured this taking place at the same time

:) It was a quote from a great book "Shotgunning: The Art and the Science" by Bob Brister back in late 70's and it has been stuck with me ever since.

Gonna go play with it and film some in the snow on my course. It's a 172

2c5c930da57276ea7be2c6542d721b04.jpg

We will see how my worn iPad battery does in the 12 degree windy air.

Last edited:

Good luck with that. Last time I played, it was very cold out and my iPhone stopped working until it warmed back up. A buddy's Android had a system crash too, and wouldn't boot up until we were warmed up in the car. I've never seen that happen before, but I'll be leaving my phone in the car now--it's useless anyway if it won't even turn on!

I'm glad I live where I can throw year 'round. I think it was around 60 when I tested the Servo yesterday. :D

When I go out I have to be accountable to my phone so I put it in an inner pocket somewhere it can stay warm or even put a handwarmer in with it (recommended under 20 degrees F).

Watched Servo 2 vid again and I counted 11 birdies = 43. Based on SSE for Oak Ledges is 48 (1000 rated). Each throw is about 8 rating points so Mike's round yesterday with snow/cold and just two discs (Servo and Ion) is rated about 1040!

Hmm, I don't think you can actually make any round rating calculations that way. As I understand it, round ratings are always based on the scores of the rated players playing that round. So if you look at round ratings in tournaments, even from one day to another on the same course, what score is rated 1000 changes because it's based on what the players playing that round on that day scored and what their ratings are.

So for a round played in the snow like that, you would almost certainly get a higher rating for the same score than a round played in better conditions because everyone will most likely score worse in the snow. Of course, this makes Mike's round even more impressive, despite that fact that he re-teed a few times. ;-) Unfortunately, it also means you can never really rate a round you play by yourself (or even a round played with friends since the PDGA won't release the actual formula they use). Anyway, great video Mike!

Man I got pretty fired up in the vid when MikeC flipped over the white one and it said 157!! I cant hold back the urge to get a nice light MVP product!!! As soon as I can find one that light I will have one (3weeks later). I imagine anything less than 165g will be a huge seller, I know quite a few people that have stayed away from MVP because they don't throw 170s.... Anyone seen a preorder for one that light?

I would say those people are missing out big time on LOTS of discs not just MVP.

I can't imagine not buying or trying a disc out b/c of the weight.

I would say those people are missing out big time on LOTS of discs not just MVP.

I can't imagine not buying or trying a disc out b/c of the weight.

Agreed.

Whats cool about the MVP stuff is they have to take a little more weight out of the GYRO rim to get the weights down to 157g and you can definitely see a little more turn/fade with the lighter MVP discs with just that 15-20g difference in the higher speed molds.

Agreed.

Whats cool about the MVP stuff is they have to take a little more weight out of the GYRO rim to get the weights down to 157g and you can definitely see a little more turn/fade with the lighter MVP discs with just that 15-20g difference in the higher speed molds.

That is good to hear! Really like their discs, but have noticed I can't throw the heavier weights in them like I can with some other brands. It's a relief to hear that lighter weights help that. Now, what to do with the 20 or so I already have... hmmm.... ;-)

Gonna go play with it and film some in the snow on my course. It's a 172

hopefully it lasts. its easier for me to grasp a discs flight when its someone ive thrown with and you have a more comparable power level.

I actually tend to think its opposite of that as they wouldn't want to take weight out of the OM and impact flight that much. Discspeed and I were talking about this and he concluded that they are now pressing different weighted cores as well as OM's in order to retain gyroscopic properties with a ratio or something to keep the disc flight similar. that way you don't get a less gyroscopic disc which flies like poop which you would if you simply took it from the OM. (ex. blizzards with bubbles in flight plate and without)

In previous molds I believe the cores were all pretty much within a few grams where it would appear the lighter discs now are an entire different run of cores all together.

Last edited:
its easier for me to grasp a discs flight when its someone ive thrown with and you have a more comparable power level.

I feel the same, but it's also really cool to see the potential that improvement can bring with the way these power guys throw these things. Always gotta have that carrot dangling out in front to get better!

I feel the same, but it's also really cool to see the potential that improvement can bring with the way these power guys throw these things. Always gotta have that carrot dangling out in front to get better!

I think maybe the bros' vision with this disc was one that you could grow into. It feels great in the hand and has a comfortable rim. It's got just enough stability to keep you honest, without losing control. It comes in light weights which will please noodles, and of course max weight for those with bigger arms.

Another thing I forgot to mention in the review is that it sticks more than their longer fairways. Skip can be good, but a disc that stays more where you throw it can also be used to a great advantage.

I'm so glad that these will be released in lighter weights. I'm gonna see if I can snag a sky blue one when they are released.

Lightweight MVP is the major story here for me. 162-68 is my sweet spot for drivers. Looking forward to this evolution.