• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] The Servo - Fairway Driver

Servo has a little shoulder and slight dome so should feel different in the hand but all MVP discs have +rims.

I totally never even noticed that about the +rims until you just mentioned it! Wow... It's always felt like their discs rip from my hands a little early. I was assuming this was a weight thing, but now I'm wondering if it's more a fact of the rim. Does anyone adjust their grip or do anything special to throw a +rim, or are they basically one of those "it is what is is" things?

I've toyed around with a +rim XD and Roc, but it never seemed to feel quite right. Maybe there's a trick to throwing them, I dunno...

strong grip :) its never bothered me but I also threw Lat. 64 when I really started getting better and those come +rims in most molds. Also believe prodigy's are this way as well.

I believe there are benefits in the injection molding process which is why this is done but cannot speak on that specifically.

strong grip :) its never bothered me but I also threw Lat. 64 when I really started getting better and those come +rims in most molds. Also believe prodigy's are this way as well.

The Lat 64 Striker and Fury are two of my favorites, and I've never noticed on those either... Damn, I need to pay more attention! haha I can throw those pretty decently (imho), so it sounds like the +rim differences are more in my head vs reality. Thanks for setting me straight....ya learn something every day, ya know :)

Are you sure MVP discs are truly +rim?

I just compared some of my MVP with other discs from 4 different manufactures and they all seem to be slanted about the same.. i thought this was a requirement of the molding process?

Now i have seen a plus mold roc before and that thing had more slant than any MVP i have.

Im not so sure if the curved/beveled edge inside the rim makes it look more plus rimmed than it really is.

The MVP doesn't look very +rim to me:
http://www.mvpdiscsports.com/wp-includes/images/ionntn-bg.jpg
http://www.mvpdiscsports.com/wp-includes/images/voltntn-bg.jpg

not as much as true plus rim like this innova disc:
http://i55.tinypic.com/ngwn0n.jpg

Anyone concerned about a plus rim on the Servo need not worry. Any slight "+ slant" is barely noticeable. It feels great, both with the power grip, and FH grip. The flat top is especially good for FH.

.........:popcorn:

Always keeping my honest jake. Tourney went decent, 4 back from Tyler and tied with a few other guys for third overall. I shot a 9 down in singles and me and my buddy coop got 14 in dubs. Couldn't quite crack the 30's but no bogies all day which is always nice.

The Servo is a great all purpose driver. People who find the volt too fast or over stable will likely love the servo. It's controllable, holds a line well, but usually fades out at the end of it's flight. For me it will slot right in between my axis and volt. I haven't carried a disc like this in my bag in a long time if ever. I wanna say it is like a mini pd but problalbly a tick less OS. As you mighta saw in my video it till turn in a headwind, but that's what a beefier disc is for.

As I expected this disc will steal many right to left FH shots from my axis and beat volt. It's exciting to see MVP continuing to fill out their rang of discs.

Enjoyed the vid Mike! Any idea why MVP doesn't release Nuetron and Proton together? I'm always eager to try new MVP discs but I prefer Proton...

Enjoyed the vid Mike! Any idea why MVP doesn't release Nuetron and Proton together? I'm always eager to try new MVP discs but I prefer Proton...

Probably time, money, and logistics. Do we even know if Zam has drafted designs for every mold in Proton?

Some people say that, but I don't agree. Closer to a eagle but with less fade for me.

Hmmm. I'd say that the Servo would be a small notch shorter, with a little more turn, and little less fade. With my noodle arm it flies pretty straight, with a good, but not hard, fade at the end.

And you saw how it flew for Mike's arm. There was definitely some turn, even when hyzered.

Come to think of it, the Servo is like if a Champ Teebird, and DX Leopard had a baby. Which, is pretty much a slightly more stable QJLS.

Some people say that, but I don't agree. Closer to a eagle but with less fade for me.

Yeah, depends on what kind of rival you get. The hard, slick heavier ones are somewhat OS. I get zero turn out of those, with a solid fade. my lighter FR at 169g are gummy and a workhorse fairway. You season them up and you'll get some more turn to work with. They get a lot longer, maybe like a tl. Not sure if the current ones are different. I'd say the servo, from watching those flights, is similar to my seasoned rival. Which is a good thing.

Yeah, depends on what kind of rival you get. The hard, slick heavier ones are somewhat OS. I get zero turn out of those, with a solid fade. my lighter FR at 169g are gummy and a workhorse fairway. You season them up and you'll get some more turn to work with. They get a lot longer, maybe like a tl. Not sure if the current ones are different. I'd say the servo, from watching those flights, is similar to my seasoned rival. Which is a good thing.

I throw max weight FR Rivals and I get a slight turn and gentle fade when thrown flat. Sounds like a Servo might be a nice compliment since I never really clicked with the patriot.

has anyone without a bionic arm thrown one of these yet?

BTW, Mike, could you do a video with the 6 million dollar man sound effect when you are throwing, all in slo-mo? That would be awesome.

Here he is messin with Sasquatch:

has anyone without a bionic arm thrown one of these yet?

BTW, Mike, could you do a video with the 6 million dollar man sound effect when you are throwing, all in slo-mo? That would be awesome.

Here he is messin with Sasquatch:

Yep, BigSky and I both have reviews a few pages back. Reminds me of a TLat 300 feet of power.

Always keeping my honest jake. Tourney went decent, 4 back from Tyler and tied with a few other guys for third overall. I shot a 9 down in singles and me and my buddy coop got 14 in dubs. Couldn't quite crack the 30's but no bogies all day which is always nice.

The Servo is a great all purpose driver. People who find the volt too fast or over stable will likely love the servo. It's controllable, holds a line well, but usually fades out at the end of it's flight. For me it will slot right in between my axis and volt. I haven't carried a disc like this in my bag in a long time if ever. I wanna say it is like a mini pd but problalbly a tick less OS. As you mighta saw in my video it till turn in a headwind, but that's what a beefier disc is for.

As I expected this disc will steal many right to left FH shots from my axis and beat volt. It's exciting to see MVP continuing to fill out their rang of discs.

This is an interesting observation, and I am wondering if it is related to power level. For me, I'm getting very little lateral movement out of the Servo, but I also don't have a big arm.

Took the Servo out for a full round today and used it off the tee for all 18, even on holes where I knew that wasn't the best idea. It is very, very straight, with just a minor fade at the end. Much more like a TL than the C-FD like I first thought. In fact, I threw this back to back with the C-FD a lot, and got way more turn out of the C-FD. The fade on the FD was also stronger.

As for distance potential, I will say the C-FD has a bit more glide, so it ended up going a little further. But for line holding, the Servo had it beat.

As a lefty, though, I often need to be able to make a disc hold an anny to the ground, especially on those righty-friendly, backwards C-shaped holes. I still tried the Servo on those today, and even with the harshest of annies it would still flex out after about 80% of the flight. They were always very tight, tidy s-curves that still didn't move much left to right, but I don't think this thing will be turning over at my power level any time soon.

But man, it is precise. I already feel very confident using the Servo to hit tight gaps, which opened up a couple different lines for me at my home course that I don't normally take. I was also more confident than usual on a couple double mando holes that I will usually have to either flex a stable driver with, or flip an understable disc to flat and hope I don't turn it over before the mando. With the Servo, I just ripped it flat and watched it cruise on that line, with less fade than I usually get out of something with this much high speed stability. Throw it straight, it ends straight.

Looking forward to seeing how this one breaks in and if it will develop more turn first, or lose the fade. If it loses the fade, man, it'll be pinpoint accuracy all day. If it develops more turn, it'll be a great line-shaper. Seems like a win-win.