• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] The Servo - Fairway Driver

Anyone concerned about a plus rim on the Servo need not worry. Any slight "+ slant" is barely noticeable. It feels great, both with the power grip, and FH grip. The flat top is especially good for FH.

Because + rims are only evil when produced by Innova.

This is an interesting observation, and I am wondering if it is related to power level. For me, I'm getting very little lateral movement out of the Servo, but I also don't have a big arm.

Took the Servo out for a full round today and used it off the tee for all 18, even on holes where I knew that wasn't the best idea. It is very, very straight, with just a minor fade at the end. Much more like a TL than the C-FD like I first thought. In fact, I threw this back to back with the C-FD a lot, and got way more turn out of the C-FD. The fade on the FD was also stronger.

As for distance potential, I will say the C-FD has a bit more glide, so it ended up going a little further. But for line holding, the Servo had it beat.

As a lefty, though, I often need to be able to make a disc hold an anny to the ground, especially on those righty-friendly, backwards C-shaped holes. I still tried the Servo on those today, and even with the harshest of annies it would still flex out after about 80% of the flight. They were always very tight, tidy s-curves that still didn't move much left to right, but I don't think this thing will be turning over at my power level any time soon.

But man, it is precise. I already feel very confident using the Servo to hit tight gaps, which opened up a couple different lines for me at my home course that I don't normally take. I was also more confident than usual on a couple double mando holes that I will usually have to either flex a stable driver with, or flip an understable disc to flat and hope I don't turn it over before the mando. With the Servo, I just ripped it flat and watched it cruise on that line, with less fade than I usually get out of something with this much high speed stability. Throw it straight, it ends straight.

Looking forward to seeing how this one breaks in and if it will develop more turn first, or lose the fade. If it loses the fade, man, it'll be pinpoint accuracy all day. If it develops more turn, it'll be a great line-shaper. Seems like a win-win.

What weight was the servo you were using?

resistor being so flat you can feel the slanted inside rim a lot more like a Riot. Servo has a little shoulder and slight dome so should feel different in the hand but all MVP discs have +rims.

Thanks, yeah I know all them have + rims I was just curious if it was because the resistor was so flat that it felt like the rim is more slanted and if the servo was the same way. It's a little more comfortable to have that slight + rim than the over-exaggerated ones.

Because + rims are only evil when produced by Innova.

I think you may be right! Had a good day throwing and MVP Amp and a Lat 64 Striker for 27 holes today. I even started working in a Volt, which is new for me. All these comments on the Servo has itching to try one as well.

I'd also like to know the weight of the Servo you were throwing onemilemore. This mold sounds so intriguing.

171 grams. In reference to BigSky's earlier question about a lighter one being a good beginner driver, I will say yes, with the caveat that an understable complement would be needed.

Yeah that sounds good. I was thinking along the same lines. Am always on the lookout for new discs to give beginners. cheers.

Much more like a TL than the C-FD like I first thought. In fact, I threw this back to back with the C-FD a lot, and got way more turn out of the C-FD. The fade on the FD was also stronger.

As for distance potential, I will say the C-FD has a bit more glide, so it ended up going a little further. But for line holding, the Servo had it beat.

this kind of perplexes me. having 4 CFDs and 400ft power, i never got my cfds to turn, and also felt like they were rather glide-less. are you throwing the cfr, clear run with dome or the current blizzard-esque flat ones?

this kind of perplexes me. having 4 CFDs and 400ft power, i never got my cfds to turn, and also felt like they were rather glide-less. are you throwing the cfr, clear run with dome or the current blizzard-esque flat ones?

Yah. I'm with jake on that. I've seen him throw a lot to FD's and they were always rather straight little turn or fade, kinda glide less, and slow but very dependable. Have you thrown many different FD's OMM?

Yah. I'm with jake on that. I've seen him throw a lot to FD's and they were always rather straight little turn or fade, kinda glide less, and slow but very dependable. Have you thrown many different FD's OMM?

My C is relatively flat (not Servo flat), and it could have been that I was torquing them a bit yesterday. It has a little wear on it, but not enough to think that would contribute. More likely my form than anything else, but I had a lot easier time keeping the Servo on a line than I did the FD.

My C is relatively flat (not Servo flat), and it could have been that I was torquing them a bit yesterday. It has a little wear on it, but not enough to think that would contribute. More likely my form than anything else, but I had a lot easier time keeping the Servo on a line than I did the FD.

Id ain't thrown an FD in a while but I'm also fairly sure the Servo flies a bit faster....this sound right?

This is an interesting observation, and I am wondering if it is related to power level. For me, I'm getting very little lateral movement out of the Servo, but I also don't have a big arm.

Might be power but also FH is really just a different type of throw. FH is just way easier to oat intentionaly or not. For very high consequence gaps going left their is nothing as high percentage for me as throwing a volt, servo, or axis on an anhyzer FH. Axis is more of a touch shot, while volt needs some snap and my experience so far is that the servo will sit right in between.

Anyone have an opinion on whether the Servo is comparable to a Stalker? That's probably the slot it will be competing for in my bag not the Roadrunner.

outside of feel I think they could be used very similarly on the course. Stalkers are pretty unique though so doubt you will get much help there with an actual side by side comparison.

Id ain't thrown an FD in a while but I'm also fairly sure the Servo flies a bit faster....this sound right?

Yeah I would agree with this. Feels like it comes out of the hand with a little more speed, and I think it has a bit less glide, which makes it fall down at the end a bit quicker. However, I did notice the Servo has really nice glide on low (like 5 feet off the ground because I screwed up low) throws.
Might be power but also FH is really just a different type of throw. FH is just way easier to oat intentionaly or not. For very high consequence gaps going left their is nothing as high percentage for me as throwing a volt, servo, or axis on an anhyzer FH. Axis is more of a touch shot, while volt needs some snap and my experience so far is that the servo will sit right in between.

OK, this makes more sense, but I wasn't sure if you were intentionally OATing things with your forehand or not. As for sitting between the Axis and Volt, definitely.

So this thing is basically a poor mans TL or FD then? :hfive:

Closer to a TL in my opinion. But it has been a long time since I have thrown a TL.

I just took the Servo for a spin on a two disc round at my alternate home course. I used it for every shot except for putting, which I used the Ion for.

What I discovered:

1. It's very difficult to range a fairway driver on 70-150 foot shots. LOL. But, it did give me an idea of the LSS of the Servo. Let's just say it acts much more stable at those speeds. I had to give it a fair amount of anny, and have it "S" it's way to the basket. But I know that none of you will be throwing it at that distance, and neither will I. I was fun to experiment though. :thmbup:

2. I almost got my first ace! Well, at least I think I did. :p I could have sworn I heard it nick the chains on a blind 250' shot. Either way it was an easy putt for birdie. It was definitely my best Servo throw yet.

3. It forehands very well. The flat top and stability allow for a smooth throw, and great workability.

4. I like this disc even more now than before. I'm sticking by my assessment that it is a slightly more stable QJLS/TL. I'm going to roll with my E Volt / Servo / Amp trio and see how that works out. All three are versatile in their own right.

I have a strong feeling that the Servo will find a place in the bags of most who try it. MVP has given us its most universal mold to date.