• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

What do HL terns fly like?
I've been using a champ shryke for my neutral to US distance drivers.
Love to keep a champ mamba for easy distance rollers.
can I expect something in between? Never thrown a tern before.

What do HL terns fly like?
I've been using a champ shryke for my neutral to US distance drivers.
Love to keep a champ mamba for easy distance rollers.
can I expect something in between? Never thrown a tern before.

HL Terns are more overstable than regular Star Terns fresh out of the box. The ones I have are 175g, that's all that was available to me.

The HL Tern will not be in-between the Champion Shryke and the Mamba, but a GStar, Pro, or lighter-weight Star Tern might be.

Wonder if it may be like a long leopard to start?
Guess I'll have to take it to the field.

I would say no; the HL Terns will start out more overstable than Leopards. Well, I'm a Leopard3 fan, and have HL Leopard3s; the HL Tern is more overstable to start out. By the way, by "more overstable", I'm not saying the HL Terns are truly OS discs like Firebirds or Thunderbirds, etc. Just more OS than regular Terns and Leopards.

I would say no; the HL Terns will start out more overstable than Leopards. Well, I'm a Leopard3 fan, and have HL Leopard3s; the HL Tern is more overstable to start out. By the way, by "more overstable", I'm not saying the HL Terns are truly OS discs like Firebirds or Thunderbirds, etc. Just more OS than regular Terns and Leopards.

Got to throw this around the home course over the last weekend.
It actually flew like a long leopard for me.
I was able to hyzer flip to flat with turn.
Some throws got a little squirrely with the winds that I had.
Gonna be one to dial in but I think I'll learn to really enjoy this disc.

Anyone else notice pro plastic ones molding up with a really high plh? I have 2 hot pink ones that are super beefier than I would expect for this mold in this plastic.

My experience in stability from most overstable to least, 350-400' max
Pink star
Pink champ
Pink pro
Clear champ tie dye - throws awesome brand new
Pink Echostar - becomes a roller fast
Green gstar

Also what are people's experience with donkey vs flat ones? Is this a mold you want flatter or more domey?

The color (in and of itself) doesn't matter. The plastic, PLH, and weight does.

My own experience with my (I'm embarrassed to say) 16 Terns is that the Champion Terns, (tie-dye or not), even in light weights, are the most overstable and have the least amount of glide, followed by Swirly Star, Starlite, regular Star, GStar, Echostar, and Pro.

Anyone else notice pro plastic ones molding up with a really high plh? I have 2 hot pink ones that are super beefier than I would expect for this mold in this plastic.

My experience in stability from most overstable to least, 350-400' max
Pink star
Pink champ
Pink pro
Clear champ tie dye - throws awesome brand new
Pink Echostar - becomes a roller fast
Green gstar

Also what are people's experience with donkey vs flat ones? Is this a mold you want flatter or more domey?

My own experience with my (I'm embarrassed to say) 16 Terns is that the Champion Terns, (tie-dye or not), even in light weights, are the most overstable and have the least amount of glide, followed by Swirly Star, Starlite, regular Star, GStar, Echostar, and Pro.

I kind of agreed with color until looking at the way multiple clear champ terns molded up vs the pink ones. And its likely not pink specific but I do think adding color may impact shrinkage and thus stability. It seems weird to me as I imagine they cant add much color, but the clear ones (I have looked through probably 10ish granted not a huge sample) all had consistent PLH and dome and slightly lower PLH than the colored champs.

I also have two pink pro, that I assume are different runs but who knows. One is a CFR from 2018 and one has a standard stamp from 6 months ago (who knows when production was though, could me same run as CFR for all I know) and both had significantly higher PLH than champ and star.

I have pro wraiths which are flip machines after a tree or two but these Terns I have intentionally thrown multiple times point blank into trees and they are still way more stable than my pro wraiths.

Edited to add - I just realized I have 2 of that same cfr, one in blue and one in pink and the pink has a slightly higher plh but not significantly different, just a slight one.

Last edited:

The worst Tern I've thrown was a color glow. Kinda flat, beefy, and glideless. Much shorter than I'm used to from a Tern.

Honestly, the more I throw glow plastic the less I like its flight characteristics. I threw the Pharaoh in glow and thought it was the same. Beefy and glideless.

When throwing a Tern, I absolutely want dome on it. Flat ones tend to be stubbornly overstable and glideless. Also, my favorite plastic is star. They're a bit on the flippy side, but absolutely bomb.

The worst Tern I've thrown was a color glow. Kinda flat, beefy, and glideless. Much shorter than I'm used to from a Tern.

Honestly, the more I throw glow plastic the less I like its flight characteristics. I threw the Pharaoh in glow and thought it was the same. Beefy and glideless.

When throwing a Tern, I absolutely want dome on it. Flat ones tend to be stubbornly overstable and glideless. Also, my favorite plastic is star. They're a bit on the flippy side, but absolutely bomb.

Yes, my Champion Glow (not color glow, just regular glow) Tern is pretty overstable for me, but it's also max weight. My newest Tern is a Pro, and it's been pretty good so far.

I love my color glow Firebird<3

I love my color glow Firebird<3

Well, with a Firebird you want beefy and glideless.

With a Tern I want absolute max distance and the best glide possible. Glow plastic works well in some molds, not so well in others.

I also threw a glow champion Destroyer that was a slab of beef. No glide or distance.

The glow Tern I have is super domey and glidey. Definitely the furthest flying Tern I've thrown. I was hoping for something similar from a McMorran color glow Tern, but this has me rethinking a purchase. The last image makes them look pretty flat too.

Anyone throw one of these color glows yet?

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-color-glow-tern-callie-mcmorran-tour-series.html

Metal flake Tern

Threw a metal flake champion Tern today. First time I'd ever seen one. 175g.

Surprisingly good disc. I was expecting something somewhat glideless and beefy here. For a Tern, this disc was a bit beefy, but it held high speed turn very well and ended up being very long. This disc glided SIGNIFICANTLY better than I was expecting.

I was able to throw this metal flake Tern as hard as I could flat and not flip it all the way over. I did torque it over a few times, but only when trying to force it anny. Really beautiful, long S curves followed by a gradual fade. I'd go ahead and say this was probably the best champion Tern I've thrown to date. A little less finicky than others. I was able to keep it relatively straight while throwing it at 100% power. I also didn't have to release it on a hyzer angle.

I'd put this disc at 12, 6, -2, 2. The -2 for high speed turn is a bit deceptive. I found that I really had to lay into this Tern to see it. However, once the disc started turning it held it nicely before fading. Metal flake Terns could be a great alternative for guys who like Terns, but want something a hair less flippy. This disc was longer than any DDX I've ever thrown, and I crested 450' with it a couple times. It had all the makings of a good Shryke, with high speed turn and floaty glide.

Top shelf distance. I'd put this disc with pretty much anything I own for sheer distance. Not as finicky as most Terns I've seen.

The glow Tern I have is super domey and glidey. Definitely the furthest flying Tern I've thrown.

Did you ever throw the echo star tern? If so, how does it compare to the glow?

Echo star tern is still the best tailwind disc I've ever owned and I've had some shrykes that were close but not quite as long and definitely not as comfortable for a backhand grip.

I only have 1 E* Tern. I wasn't a huge fan of it. Wildly flippy. Every time I really laid into it the disc would turn and burn pretty hard.

I had a lot better success with regular star Terns.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't like E* plastic.... in any mold. I feel like its a lousier version of star that reminds me more of pro plastic. The stuff wears out quickly and seems to fly a lot less stable than star plastic. I've thrown E* Bosses and Katanas and not really liked them either. The 1 E* Destroyer I threw was really flippy.