• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I weighed my 171g G* and it weighed right at 170g.

I had a G* Teebird that was penned 166g and actually weighted 162g. And it's become one of my favorite discs.

KOOKY NOOSA!!!

I have a blue 166 G* Tbird that weighs 163, it's a main driver for me lately.

Can we talk numbers? Does anyone know of any vendors getting more than the initial 25 Proto-Star JLs? I haven't. 25 and done. The demand for these is pretty awesome. The last few First Runs were available on the order guides for a while after release. These Thunderbirds were initial release and done. From the horses mouth, "... just under 4500 between Innova East, Innova West and Innova Europe..."

Those Pre-Release ones had to be produced in WAY smaller numbers! The collector in me is stoked at these numbers! The thrower in me hopes that they release the Champ version (I agree with the McB3ast sig disc comment, somewhere he said these Thunderbirds might be kicking out his PDs, right?), because I really like the flight and feel of the Asia Open one I have.

Can we talk numbers? Does anyone know of any vendors getting more than the initial 25 Proto-Star JLs? I haven't. 25 and done. The demand for these is pretty awesome. The last few First Runs were available on the order guides for a while after release. These Thunderbirds were initial release and done. From the horses mouth, "... just under 4500 between Innova East, Innova West and Innova Europe..."

Those Pre-Release ones had to be produced in WAY smaller numbers! The collector in me is stoked at these numbers! The thrower in me hopes that they release the Champ version (I agree with the McB3ast sig disc comment, somewhere he said these Thunderbirds might be kicking out his PDs, right?), because I really like the flight and feel of the Asia Open one I have.

I'd say the Asia Open Thunderbirds were around 500-600 discs in number, making them quite a bit more rare than the protostars, but with retailers getting a max of 25 (period) they will still seem scarce. Innova will release the Thunderbird in JL plastic, and hopefully it will be out soon, but I think they're really trying to push their new GStar blend and create more mass market appeal. While people on these boards may be familiar with it, by offering the latest and great in GStar for a period of time they can build traction with more throwers. Just my rough guess on what they're doing. Paul did say that it kicked the PD out of his bag, and I really like the flight of my Asia Open Thunderbird as well. I'd like to see it in other plastics too, like XT Pro and Star, to see if I can season three or four of them to fit all my longer fairway shots.

It might be sacreligious for many of the frisbeeterians here, but I just got my Proto stamp in yesterday, and I plan on throwing the crap out of it.

I threw my 168g G* Thunderbird today and am very pleased with the shots. To me it flies like a seasoned Firebird. Has a real nice glide with a great touch of over stability. Before the round was over I was able to trust it to do what I wanted and expected it to do.
I think this can replace one of my firebirds and my OS tbird. That's what I plan on doing with it for now.
I played Mt Airy with 10+mph winds.

But the question is. Is this a game changer?

Depends...

Around where I'm at, there's not a lot of Discmania love. So, the PD is overlooked. I throw all kinds of PDs. I started throwing one of the Asia Open Pre-Release Thunderbirds. Similar flight to my SPD, but a touch more stable and slightly not as far. The Thunderbird is definitely finding a spot between my Destroyers and Teebirds. Which was a spot that the PD filled for me. I think with the ease of getting Innova discs into the hands of the players in my area (and I'm assuming, your's) that a lot of players will pick one up and find their needs met by this disc.

Game changer? Maybe...

Let my friend borrow my proto jolly launcher one for a throw. First throw ace. 303 feet.

Threw my 170g today (which is about 4g over what I like to throw), and I loved it. Think of it either as a seasoned Firebird or an OS Viking. Great disc.

Can't wait to get one in a lighter weight.

I threw my champion one today, and I have to say that it lives up to the hype. It flies very straight for me for about 380', then it slows down and has a fairly pronounced fade. It flies pretty similar to my slightly beat teebird, but has more glide and distance.

Doesn't look like these fly much farther than a reg TB. The flight on the chart is ~6% longer than a TB. How much farther are these going for people?

I thought this was going to be the Innova Avenger but it doesn't look to have the D of the Avenger or even a PD.

i agree who can compare these to pds?

i trust tbird outta anyone but im willing to listen to others haha

I've only thrown my glow Champ once (grip locked it into the woods so I can't comment on the flight :eek:), and it's going to be probably next weekend before I can get out for some serious throwing time. Sorry, man. :(

I will be throwing them together when I do have time though. I can/will grab some profile pics though.

Last edited: