• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

Doesn't look like these fly much farther than a reg TB. The flight on the chart is ~6% longer than a TB. How much farther are these going for people?

I thought this was going to be the Innova Avenger but it doesn't look to have the D of the Avenger or even a PD.

Not sure how they judged that flight chart. My Asia Open Thunderbird gets PD distance. 390-420' consistently. I throw my Teebirds around 350' with the same power I put on the Thunderbird.

Not sure how they judged that flight chart. My Asia Open Thunderbird gets PD distance. 390-420' consistently. I throw my Teebirds around 350' with the same power I put on the Thunderbird.

Yeah the inbounds chart has been pretty accurate to my throws but this one didn't really make sense.

I usually go straight from my TB's to my WR's or DS's but I would like to try one of these in champ.

Only handful of throws, so take with a grain of salt:

Lime Green 175g GStar Thunderbird -

Hardly noticeable tick more stable than the GStar TeeBird3 I threw along side it. Almost identical distance, almost no turn, and a slightly healthier fade. When all was said and done, the throws with the Thunderbird were consistently better, but the results were almost identical to the point where the discs could have been interchangeable.

For reference, there was a left to right wind that was knocking anything down that was fading into it. Thus the discs that were turning or flipping were aided by the wind while anything fading into it where slammed down earlier than they should have been.

All and all, I think I would still prefer my TeeBirds, Gazelles, and Leopards (or Trilogy equivalents such as the Stags, Truths, and Hatchets) in the woods, but there was enough in the Thunderbird that I would actually trust it more than the TeeBird3 I was throwing for open field shots, especially if conditions were less than ideal.

i4DduJI

EV9JXNQ

Mine arrived in the mail today. Looking forward to throwing one tomorrow.

After 2 rounds of throwing it, I don't see the Thunderbird as a game changer for me. I'll probably keep it in the bag for awhile, just because, but it's not kicking anything out.

After 2 rounds of throwing it, I don't see the Thunderbird as a game changer for me. I'll probably keep it in the bag for awhile, just because, but it's not kicking anything out.

I am not sure what I was expecting from this disc, how it would be different, but after several days throwing the results are marginally different at best in comparisons to my Teebirds and Teebird3s.

Just for the sake of comparisons, I tried a few lines where I thought a seasoned Firebird or Predator would be useful, but I could not get it to track back left (assume rhbh). It was not necessarily flipping or turning for me, but I was expecting a straighter ahead shot with an incremental crawl into a solid fade.

I am not sure what I was expecting from this disc, how it would be different, but after several days throwing the results are marginally different at best in comparisons to my Teebirds and Teebird3s.

Just for the sake of comparisons, I tried a few lines where I thought a seasoned Firebird or Predator would be useful, but I could not get it to track back left (assume rhbh). It was not necessarily flipping or turning for me, but I was expecting a straighter ahead shot with an incremental crawl into a solid fade.

This is exactly what I'm getting when I throw them, but I don't have a monster arm, either.

175g orange champion thunderbird

I have about 400-420 ft distance. I find the thunderbird to be a longer teebird with more fade. I can throw tight s shots and it will fight against the anny. With a lot of nose down and torque I am able keep it on a full anny but it continuously fights it and isn't close at all to "sweeping" and lands nice and flat. This discs skips awesome for me. I can throw it low and it shoots straight and skips usually pretty straight with a little left action. Little height and she has healthy fade. Give her a lot of height and just throw flat and i get a nice sweeping hyzer that I would have to throw a wrist roll under hyzer with a teebird to do.

The thunderbird is super awesome. I don't like g star so I never wanted the teebird 3, but this thunderbird is what I really wanted that disc to be. It truly reminds me of a longer Avery Jenkins teebird(possibly brinsters but haven't purchased one yet)

Last edited:

I have about 400-420 ft distance. I find the thunderbird to be a longer teebird with more fade. I can throw tight s shots and it will fight against the anny. With a lot of nose down and torque I am able keep it on a full anny but it continuously fights it and isn't close at all to "sweeping" and lands nice and flat. This discs skips awesome for me. I can throw it low and it shoots straight and skips usually pretty straight with a little left action. Little height and she has healthy fade. Give her a lot of height and just throw flat and i get a nice sweeping hyzer that I would have to throw a wrist roll under hyzer with a teebird to do.

The thunderbird is super awesome. I don't like g star so I never wanted the teebird 3, but this thunderbird is what I really wanted that disc to be. It truly reminds me of a longer Avery Jenkins teebird(possibly brinsters but haven't purchased one yet)
:thmbup:
This is a good description of what the Thunderbird does for me except I love it in G*.

This is almost exactly my experience as well with my green Champion first run. The Thunderbird has a pretty healthy fade on the end of it. I wouldn't say quite as much as a firebird, but when it slows down, it does like to finish strong left. Before that, though, it flies super straight for me out to about 380ish feet. It has that great Teebird glide, but for me it flies 30-40' farther. Definitely a winning disc in my book, and honestly, if I can break one in and have a fresher one in the bag, these could possibly overtake a lot of shots from my teebirds.

Only thrown my glow champion a few times, but in the hand it feels like a bastard child of a teebird, firebird, and destroyer. Teebird rim, firebird fade, destroyer stability and speed.

Honestly not sure where this disc would fit for me (I have solid 375' golf distance) ... falls in the tweener range between a teebird (325' to 350') and a destroyer (375' plus). And I'm pretty comfortable smashing a teebird or smoothing a tuned-in destroyer (or wraith) to get to that 350-375' range ...

Hampstead and smarkquart - Champ or Gstar? ^^

175 Lime Green GStar.

In most respects it is better than what I am throwing, especially in open field placements shots, when I need a singular line -often flat forward fade, or when I need to muscle something low and flat. However, it is only incrementally better so I am not rushing out to replace everything else I have in my bags (Lat Lux, Grip A, Crunch, Focus, and NutSac). Maybe if I start winning them with funny money, in player's packs, or just trade I will start to incorporate them more, but for the time being I am remaining dedicated to all Trilogy except my Star Gazelle.

The Stag does not have the same fade as the Thunderbird, but with a clean throw I can often get the same end net result. If not, I can pull out the Boatman or Trespass.

Latest posts