• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

No official word yet....maybe some of the testers can chime in here...

They need to round out the fairway and mid line-up (MO and US) slots. Hopefully the MO are next and are not just big bead versions of what they have already released.

They need to round out the fairway and mid line-up (MO and US) slots. Hopefully the MO are next and are not just big bead versions of what they have already released.

Amen to that. I would like to replace my Banshee for MO and Stingray for US

Its raining, its Saturday, I'm bored. Any speculation on the next disc(s) Vibram will putting out in 2014?

It's raining and you throw Vibram? Sounds like it is time to get your buddies out to play some disc golf. Especially those who don't throw Vibram. You wil have a serious advantage throwing Vibram in the rain. Honestly I kind of hope every tournament round I play this year has rain just because of that reality.

As for the next discs, whatever they are they will end up in my bag so I can rock this game called disc golf in the rain. Ha!

It's raining and you throw Vibram? Sounds like it is time to get your buddies out to play some disc golf. Especially those who don't throw Vibram.

Ha! I cannot disagree with you. But sadly for me there is rain, and then there is rain (blowing wind and 40* type). The rain did stop for a few hours on Sunday, and I saw how good it is to carry a VP in the bag for 20+ mph winds. I have an Obex and second Ascent on the way as part of my Birdie Bash package.

Oh, I just remembered I invited a bunch of my hucking buddies to Birdie Bash too :doh:, there goes the advantage.

Why is the Ibex such a great disc?

Because I can get it to do just about anything I want. It goes striaght, holds a line. Super consistent. It is made by Vibram with the best material I have seen for a golf disc ever. It feels so good in my hand. It leaves my hand consistently. What isn't there to love about this disc?

Why is the Ibex such a great disc?

It would be a great disc to cycle if you ask me. I had one and beat the living crap out of it and it still had a great flight. It because a great hyzer flip disc. brand new, they hold a nice straight line.

So, I'm looking to try some Vibram fairway drivers because I've been so impressed with the Ridge/Ibex.

More specifically, I wanted to ask about flight paths of the Trak and Ascent. Based on the numbers, I'm guessing that these would compare to a Leopard(Trak) and Eagle/Teebird(Ascent). Are these discs different enough to bag both? Will the Ascent flex out from a forced anhyzer shot? I guess these things will be subjective to the thrower, but just looking for general responses.

Okay, so correct me if I'm wrong: Soft is extremely floppy and very durable, Medium is pretty flexible and almost as durable as soft, and Firm is something like KC stiff but isn't very durable..?

Okay, so correct me if I'm wrong: Soft is extremely floppy and very durable, Medium is pretty flexible and almost as durable as soft, and Firm is something like KC stiff but isn't very durable..?

Firm is still softer than K.C..
Vibram did a limited run of discs in a Super Firm formula in 2011. Super Firm is really close to K.C. Pro.

The long and short on Vibram durability is softer formulas contain more rubber, harder formulas more plastic.
The more plastic in the mix, the faster the disc beats in, and more damage will occur to the disc.

That being said, none of the formulas Vibram currently uses will show any significant signs of wear, even with heavy long term usage. :)

That being said, none of the formulas Vibram currently uses will show any significant signs of wear, even with heavy long term usage. :)

I used to own a medium Obex and that thing could really take a beating and never showed any signs of wear at all. I've owned a couple of firm Laces and I can say for certain that they do show signs of wear (nicks and such) and that they do get less stable after a few good tree hits. I think this is partly because it's a distance driver (so it tends to get hit harder) and partly because the firm is less durable. Anyway, in my experience firm definitely does wear in over time more than medium.

I know this is kind of a general question that's hard to answer. But for someone who's pretty new to the game (~6 months) and has never thrown any Vibram, what discs would be reccomended for me to get in my Birdie Bash players package?

Ridge is their most popular putter. I'd recommend that, or a Summit if you'd prefer a narrower profile and more neutral/understable flight. If the course is longer I'd go with the Trak (fairway driver); if it's shorter go with the Ibex (midrange). Both have neutral flights, are very versatile, and beginner friendly.

For last year's BB I went Trak/VP which covered a lot of lines for me. VP is a beefy putter with a deep rim, though, so not the most beginner friendly of discs.

Have fun!

How is the ridge for a driving putter? The course is basically a pitch-n-putt but it's somewhat technical as it is wooded. How would the Ibex fly compared to a Buzzz?

How is the ridge for a driving putter? The course is basically a pitch-n-putt but it's somewhat technical as it is wooded. How would the Ibex fly compared to a Buzzz?

Qikly pretty much nailed it. Ibex is a lot like Buzzz, with perhaps a less fade. It's a very straight flyer and has nice glide.
Ridge is the only Vibram putter I have yet to throw, until the next Birdie Bash that is.

I currently use a buzzz for most if my mid shots, so that's good information. How about the Obex, I know it's more over stable than the Ibex, but is it way overstable? Or just a nice fade?