• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Local Birdie Bash

Hello Vibramaholics (better disc than other stuff, I say),

Just competed in my local birdie bash! Great time!

Competition: I finished outside of the winner's circle. I missed far too many putts to be competitive. The wind was 10-20 mph, and I had Sole. I putt with the Sole a lot, but not when the wind is up like it was today. (My inclination is that if I had had a VP, then I would've recorded a better score.) 5 points total. Something like 10 points won.

Spirit Award: I finished second behind one of my friends who I drove to the event. I'm very happy for my friend, because he doesn't have as many discs as I do, and I even gave him a disc that I wanted him to try, because he doesn't have a distance driver. Very glad to report that he accepted my offer.

Here's a big reason why he won the Spirit Award: he helped more than one person find their lost discs in the snow. When I asked him if he could play another 18 holes (after we finished the round), he said, "Hell yeah!" Needless to say, I was not wanting to play at all after the Birdie Bash, because the temperatures were -27 degree wind-chill in greater Minnesota, where I reside.

Putting is the key to game! Fellow Vibram throwers remember this! Keep those 4 putters in your bag (at all times). If you can get over the learning curve with them, then you are sure to be successful in your leagues and in tournaments.

I humbly disagree, I prefer to learn my main putter in all situations. Getting consistent with another putter for just windy use that you can't regularly practice(depending on geography) or gauge seems far more difficult than using one in all putting situations. You gain more familiarity with it and know its reactions. I've been using a ridge for 2 years or more now and it is plenty capable of handling the wind. The sole IMO was more stable. Just keep at it, maybe add more spin but a slower approach.

I did bag all four at first but I slowly found the overlap, as I started to wear in my first couple ridges they took over summits, glow ridges arent VP beefy but they got some beef. I only bag 1 vp and for some reason it flys like a freak, nothing like my previous vps. Thing doesn't act very overstable at all. I'm betting the sole can be worked in like my ridges did.

I did bag all four at first but I slowly found the overlap, as I started to wear in my first couple ridges they took over summits, glow ridges arent VP beefy but they got some beef. I only bag 1 vp and for some reason it flys like a freak, nothing like my previous vps. Thing doesn't act very overstable at all. I'm betting the sole can be worked in like my ridges did.

Had quite a few nice runs with the Sole today, but I was either too high, too low, to the left, or to the right. I was expecting one to fade back, but just didn't in time (which is me underestimating their stability in the wind).

Gotta say though, loving the VP. Only a few people picked the VP, but I talked to one person who thought it was great. He said he had some nice lines.

I am sure Soles work in like that. You can even buy a fresh Sole that flies like a Summit. My mid 160's medium Sole flies exactly the same as my Summits for the most part. Would throw Soles but they just aren't as comfortable to grip as my Summits.

I am sure Soles work in like that. You can even buy a fresh Sole that flies like a Summit. My mid 160's medium Sole flies exactly the same as my Summits for the most part. Would throw Soles but they just aren't as comfortable to grip as my Summits.

From my experience the sole isn't every going to be as beefy as a VP. I have thrown the all of the rubber varietys, and none of them were quite as stable as the vp. And with the glide the sole has it was not a great head wind disc for me. It was too glidey, not nearly as point and shoot as a ridge or a VP. I don't play with my vibram enough to wear through the cycles especially with the medium. I carry a ridge and a summit in my all vibram bag (cold weather or rainy weather bag).

i'd like it if they would make something in between the summit and ridge. that is a huge gap. i would be more inclined to throw something neutral/understable out of the box like a zero pure in flight than the summit - even though i do love the summit. it's just way too understable for longer drives IMO.

i'm sure they have other things they need to flesh out first instead of adding to their already robust putter lineup, but that's the one thing that has a bug in my bonnet right now for my putter setup.

From my experience the sole isn't every going to be as beefy as a VP. I have thrown the all of the rubber varietys, and none of them were quite as stable as the vp. And with the glide the sole has it was not a great head wind disc for me. It was too glidey, not nearly as point and shoot as a ridge or a VP. I don't play with my vibram enough to wear through the cycles especially with the medium. I carry a ridge and a summit in my all vibram bag (cold weather or rainy weather bag).

I know my glow ridge is slightly beefier than a normal one, I wonder if a glow sole would do the same. Highly doubt it would get VP beefy but in calm conditions I could see it hitting the same lines if it ran more stable.

i'd like it if they would make something in between the summit and ridge. that is a huge gap. i would be more inclined to throw something neutral/understable out of the box like a zero pure in flight than the summit - even though i do love the summit. it's just way too understable for longer drives IMO.

i'm sure they have other things they need to flesh out first instead of adding to their already robust putter lineup, but that's the one thing that has a bug in my bonnet right now for my putter setup.

I'd love a disc like you're describing, something that I can throw flat and fly right. Currently use a broken in ridge for that shot which helps familiarity but buying new discs is fun too. Plus a putter more OS than the VP would be awesome too, something I can flick a bit harder than the VP would be nice.

yeah, i'm sure as the ridge breaks in it won't be an issue (which is why i bought a firm after hearing they break in faster - perfect since i like firm putters too) but man . . . i think that might take a while even though i play almost daily. c'est la vie. i just want some warmer temps and this snow to go away so i can do some proper field work and enjoy playing like i used to.

yeah, i'm sure as the ridge breaks in it won't be an issue (which is why i bought a firm after hearing they break in faster - perfect since i like firm putters too) but man . . . i think that might take a while even though i play almost daily. c'est la vie. i just want some warmer temps and this snow to go away so i can do some proper field work and enjoy playing like i used to.
A Ridge will get to that slot, but it'll take a good 6-8 months of regular play, from what I can tell. I've been throwing mine for about that long and it's a little concave now....thrown flat it's straight with very little fade and will hold even the slightest anny line to the ground.

On the topic of carrying all of the Vibram putter molds, I agree on waving off the Sole and Summit if you're a Ridge thrower. I think the VP and Ridge, however, are close enough in profile and feel that they're almost interchangeable for me. For shorter drives, upshots and putts, I probably use them an equal amount. If there's much wind at all, from any direction, I'll use the VP.

Alright, there's a Birdie Bash coming up here sometime, somewhere. Probably May something, at the same park it was at last year.

I know I'm getting a backup VP. I don't actually putt with them, so I might be a little shaky there, but whatever.

Last year I got an Ibex. I wasn't crazy about it.

I'm wondering about the Obex. There are quite a few holes (if they're laid out the same as last year) where a strong fade or a flex shot would be handy. I could handle those with the VP though...

I've heard it's not a meathook OS disc, more of a straight then pretty good fade disc. Is that right? Hmmm....

Looks like I'll be throwing flex shots all day if it is. :p

For me a new obex is a little more HSS than the shark. Then a hair more LSS, but generally the same flight pattern.

The Obex is vastly underrated. Yes, it is straight with a reliable fade. It really has great glide and handles the wind well. With the VP and Obex, what are you going to use on holes that finish right? I suppose you could flick the VP.

The Obex is vastly underrated. Yes, it is straight with a reliable fade. It really has great glide and handles the wind well. With the VP and Obex, what are you going to use on holes that finish right? I suppose you could flick the VP.

I flick everything. As for the left finishing holes, I don't really remember any/that many. Although they might change up the layout or something. But I'm working on my backhand. And I can OAT things like a champ :p

I flick everything. As for the left finishing holes, I don't really remember any/that many. Although they might change up the layout or something. But I'm working on my backhand. And I can OAT things like a champ :p

How long are your holes? You could forgo the mid and work a trak. That really depends on if you get get your putters far enough to cover the range you want. Powered down the traks work pretty well.

i had the opportunity to feel a soft vibram today . . . and i gotta say, with all this overmold and doubleshot action going around with innova/gateway/mvp/axiom . . .

i would probably cry if they made a ridge/vp/summit with a firm flight plate and a soft outer rim. can you imagine? they would be upshot/putting machines. i prefer to putt with firm putters, and if vibram could somehow make that work i don't think i would ever buy another kind of putter.

it probably wouldn't work chemically, but it's so tasty to think about.

Softs

Been throwing a soft Ascent for a while now. Had an opportunity to play with a medium Ascent at the Birdie Bash, and my form was great. Very clean.

I'm going to use my soft throughout the year on more wooded courses, where I tend to hit lots of trees. Overall, it's not much different than a regular, but it does reward clean form. Very good disc. I would rate it highly.

GGGT still has some soft Ascents (in stock) right now:http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/vibram-ascent-xlink-soft-p-2695.html

i had the opportunity to feel a soft vibram today . . . and i gotta say, with all this overmold and doubleshot action going around with innova/gateway/mvp/axiom . . .

i would probably cry if they made a ridge/vp/summit with a firm flight plate and a soft outer rim. can you imagine? they would be upshot/putting machines. i prefer to putt with firm putters, and if vibram could somehow make that work i don't think i would ever buy another kind of putter.

it probably wouldn't work chemically, but it's so tasty to think about.

Oh they've made fusion discs just not in the way you described and it is glorious!

Mmmmmmm Fusion.

I finally got some production run F and M O-Laces...Holy cow, these are overstable and awesome! My original ones I got weren't super beefy like this. I'm glad this is how the normal production run turned out (I've been throwing the Glow version, which was really overstable as well).