• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

So Mr. Dodge, I have a favor to ask of you. Can you please speed up the process of getting your more overstable discs out please? I played GBO this past weekend and ended up throwing more non-Vibram discs because I could not trust them in the kind of wind I was playing in based on the fact that they are primarily straight flying discs. I flipped my Lace in a tailwind and watched it do the craziest thing ever. I can't even begin to describe it. I really love the Lace, but I just could not predict what they were going to do and they got benched about half way through. Please get me some more overstable Vibram discs fast!

I played GBO this weekend, and was surprised how much I pulled out my FR Trak that's nearing Whippet-X stable, and the medium FR Lace that is pretty darn near Force OS. While everyone else was saying "don't skip, don't skip!" I was not worried in the least.

I played GBO this weekend, and was surprised how much I pulled out my FR Trak that's nearing Whippet-X stable, and the medium FR Lace that is pretty darn near Force OS. While everyone else was saying "don't skip, don't skip!" I was not worried in the least.

I don't know where you got those discs because my Traks and Laces are nowhere near that overstable.

I don't know where you got those discs because my Traks and Laces are nowhere near that overstable.

The "Bumbleboot" first run Traks were very overstable. I do not remember FR Laces being more stable though.

The "Bumbleboot" first run Traks were very overstable. I do not remember FR Laces being more stable though.

Bumbleboot is what I have.

FR Lace was a freak accident. Lost it for two months, and got it back. Mega-dome, and all of a sudden pretty dang OS. And I'm talking putting it out there to 400' into a pretty stiff headwind, and barely flexing over.

My medium first run is the same way, sometimes I can barely get it over 300.

Hmm, interesting. I love my Laces but they are a little less stable than I want in a primary distance driver... Might have to track one of these first runs if we don't hear about the OSLace soon.

Make sure it's super domey, you may have to put some hot water in the flight plate so it will drop. You could actually get that stability out of a production run. I can't wait for the new lace to get here.

Last edited:
My flippy Lace is a first fun and as I mentioned I watched it do some crazy stuff with a tailwind. Blah. Get me the new OS Lace and the even more OS Lace.

I am guessing they haven't gotten it yet. I know Mr. Dodge said end of April or begining of May and more recently it seems like the hope is May and not later. Either way, the more OS Lace will be great to put in my bag as soon as it reaches the market. Then they can begin work on the crazy OS Lace, which will also go in my bag as soon as it reaches the market.

I have not received mine yet. IIRC Steve Dodge said that he hopes to have them to the testers by late April or early May, so hopefully in the next week or so there will be a surprise package from Vibram sitting in my mailbox.

Anyone else start to wonder if the OS lace may be worse/more OS than a nuke OS? Or if it's just too stable to throw? Does such a disc exist?

This is why I believe there are going to be at least two more Lace type discs that are more overstable than the current Lace. I would guess the first one will be more compareable to a Stable Nuke (yes they exist, I have a Z Nuke that does not flip all that much until you throw it into a 40 mph headwind). Then they will make another one that is more like the Nuke OS and I can't wait for that disc too since the Nuke OS is far and away my favorite overhand disc.

Had our local Birdie Bash yesterday (City Park New Orleans), and I thought I would write a bit about my experiences.

It was my first tournament; I had assumed that the Birdie Bash would be a good starter tourney, and I was right. The atmosphere was fun and supportive, even when it got competitive. I'm sure who I got paired with helped, and that I was never really in the running for the grand prize, so there was no pressure there. But there was a good level of camaraderie and mutual support going on, which was cool to see. Plus, I don't play with the local club very often (lots of work on nights and weekends), so this was a great opportunity to get to know them better. Definitely going to start going out more club events once summer hits and my work schedule lightens up.

I loved the format. The TD set up a lot of alternative holes/tees, so it was fun to play a mostly-new course (even if it compounded the challenge of playing with new discs). Or to put it a different way: it was fun to see the course from new angles. The often-shortened holes meant that a birdie was viable on pretty much every hole, which is far from a given from a relative newb like myself. Rounds played fast - about an hour and 15 minutes - which was nice. Again, it was a good easing-into the experience of playing two competitive rounds back to back (something I don't do often, if for no other reason than because I often play alone).

It wasn't all wine and roses, however: the discs failed to make it in time (!!!). The TD should be commended for keeping a good face and salvaging things: he's the friendly local disc proprietor, so he just made his Vibram stores available. It wasn't enough to cover everyone, however, so he ended up getting locals who throw Vibram to give out some loaners to cover the difference. I don't want to overstate the negative side of this - the predominant impression I got was that people had fun - but it definitely had an impact on the afternoon. Because we were working with what was available, many didn't get the discs or weights that they had asked for. This led to some comical situations, like a guy in my second round who was throwing a Soft Ridge that had apparently sat in the water for a year. Not sure if the water had had an effect, but that thing was crazy floppy, and was literally unusable for putts outside of ten feet (he did however almost get an ace with it!). I think people were generally bummed to not get to use "their" discs. I also felt like people ended up with more Firms than Mediums, which I thought was a bummer, because I personally think Medium feels was superior. I hope the experience didn't put too bad a taste in people's mouth, but I fear it did with at least a few, even though it's hard to blame Vibram for the late-arriving discs (TD said they were due to arrive Friday via UPS guaranteed, but that UPS delayed their delivery for some reason).

Glad you enjoyed the format, sorry the discs were late. I am glad Joe was able to make it mostly work for people.

So Mr. Dodge, I have a favor to ask of you. Can you please speed up the process of getting your more overstable discs out please? I played GBO this past weekend and ended up throwing more non-Vibram discs because I could not trust them in the kind of wind I was playing in based on the fact that they are primarily straight flying discs. I flipped my Lace in a tailwind and watched it do the craziest thing ever. I can't even begin to describe it. I really love the Lace, but I just could not predict what they were going to do and they got benched about half way through. Please get me some more overstable Vibram discs fast!

I'll get right on it! No tester discs have been shipped yet, we need to make sure it is right internally first.

I posted this question in the Lace thread, but I bet there are more people over here who have thrown enough Laces to answer.

Is there a difference in the stability/flight characteristics between the 2012 Players Cup Laces and current production run Laces?

The PC Laces were protos, probably a touch more understable.

This is why I believe there are going to be at least two more Lace type discs that are more overstable than the current Lace. I would guess the first one will be more compareable to a Stable Nuke (yes they exist, I have a Z Nuke that does not flip all that much until you throw it into a 40 mph headwind). Then they will make another one that is more like the Nuke OS and I can't wait for that disc too since the Nuke OS is far and away my favorite overhand disc.

Quick clarifying question. I absolutely LOVE my Medium X-Link Laces, and I understand that I may (or may not) be of the minority opinion of loving the current Lace configuration/stability.

However, you're saying that in time, there feasibly could be like 3 "Laces" much like there are currently 3 Nukes? (i.e., Nuke SS, Nuke, Nuke OS)

If so, no problem - I'll gladly keep buying "Regular Laces" even when the "OS Lace" and the "Ridiculously OS Lace" arrive ...I just want to make sure that the Lace itself isn't being re-tooled to become more OS overall (thus, the current Lace that I love disappears and I need to start hoarding now)

Sorry of that is a n00b question... it seems that my assumption (based on what is written here) is correct, but I just want to verify! :)

Thanks, I hope you all have a great day!
-Bubs

Latest posts