• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

How has the Notch changed?

I can't confirm or deny it... where I came up with that is that I heard the Notch was a speed 6, but the PDGA website has it as a 1.9 cm driver... so who knows? It's common practice for molds to change in the approval process, from what I can tell...

I can't confirm or deny it... where I came up with that is that I heard the Notch was a speed 6, but the PDGA website has it as a 1.9 cm driver... so who knows? It's common practice for molds to change in the approval process, from what I can tell...

Although that may be true to some extent, changing from a 1.6 to a 1.9 rim is a HUGE change.

It was originally announced as a 1.8 rim.

I think something similar like that happened with the Ascent. Shooting for a TeeBird/Eagle crossover, and then went with the 1.8 cm for a little extra speed and in theory more wind-fighting ability... I'm still hearing good things about the Ascent/Trak wherever I go. The problem (as I see it) is that people are overly critical analytical, especially with regards to something different. Huge amount of group-think that goes on in these DGCR forums... hard to detect if you're part of the group, but it's strong here.

Not sure if you're referencing me, but I'm a huge Vibram fan. I may not be bagging any right now, but I was Vibram exclusive for about 2 years. I really liked the Notch, love Ascents (but can't pick through them locally), believe that the Ibex is the disc everyone claims the Buzzz to be, the unLace is the only disc I've broken 400' with, and if the Scale wasn't a perfect WizardOS would bag the VP in a heartbeat (although I'm also starting to feel like a super OS putter is not something I need in my bag). Only Vibram I dislike is the Obex and only because it doesn't really fill the role it was intended for.

The main reasons I don't throw them anymore is I love throwing baseline plastic, cycling minimal molds, and I like hand picking my discs, which limits me to Gateway, Discmania, Discraft, and Innova in my area.

Much love to Vibram and its a huge honor for me to be on their tester Team.

Not sure if you're referencing me, but I'm a huge Vibram fan. I may not be bagging any right now, but I was Vibram exclusive for about 2 years. I really liked the Notch, love Ascents (but can't pick through them locally), believe that the Ibex is the disc everyone claims the Buzzz to be, the unLace is the only disc I've broken 400' with, and if the Scale wasn't a perfect WizardOS would bag the VP in a heartbeat (although I'm also starting to feel like a super OS putter is not something I need in my bag). Only Vibram I dislike is the Obex and only because it doesn't really fill the role it was intended for.

The main reasons I don't throw them anymore is I love throwing baseline plastic, cycling minimal molds, and I like hand picking my discs, which limits me to Gateway, Discmania, Discraft, and Innova in my area.

Much love to Vibram and its a huge honor for me to be on their tester Team.

No, I wasn't referencing anyone in particular with that comment. Merely making an observation about the forums (knowing full well that it might draw some ire from forum-goers).

I throw 100% Vibram all-the-time, with the mind-frame that it's not the discs. It's me. This allows me to grow as a player beyond the realm of my imagination, because I am continually challenged in how I play.

Two examples: I throw RHBH mainly. Also LHBH, RHFH, RHOH (tomahawks and thumbers). Vibram allows me to throw RHOH without destroying my discs. Vibram is also great for hyzer-spikes, because they'll quickly destroy your discs.

Another example: the unLace is very, very flippy, yet I can push the limits with that disc by changing hyzer-angles to compensate for the velocity of tail-winds. Also, I tend to throw my unLace higher in the air if I would like it to fade more/turn less.

Regarding your love of baseline: I too love baseline, because I find it to be the most similar to X-Link, especially in terms of feel.

Regarding cycling: I do quite a bit of cycling, though it seems pointless at times with premium plastics.

:thmbup:

Notch and Arch were in-house protos so only Vibram knows if they have undergone a change from proto to 1st run pressings. They have been sent to testers as 1st runs. No change AFAIK will occur with those discs except the tooling on the bottom which shows 1st run discs.

Valley changed dramatically, was sent out to testers and the feedback was not too good so it underwent a complete redesign. The R448 is not the Valley that was approved....that disc was not sent back out to testers. There are a few floating around but I haven't had a chance to throw one of the PDGA approved versions yet.

Was hoping someone could shed some light on the disc pictured below. I believe its a VP. As you can see the rubber is EXTREMELY soft, so much so that I can't keep it from deforming when taking a picture. It also takes zero effort to fold it in half. Just curious when this run was produced.

Ummmmmmm whoa. Whoa.

That's the first run soft. I'm unsure what it's worth. Join the collector group. Tons of knowledge on there. It is a VP though.

Notch and Arch were in-house protos so only Vibram knows if they have undergone a change from proto to 1st run pressings. They have been sent to testers as 1st runs. No change AFAIK will occur with those discs except the tooling on the bottom which shows 1st run discs.

Valley changed dramatically, was sent out to testers and the feedback was not too good so it underwent a complete redesign. The R448 is not the Valley that was approved....that disc was not sent back out to testers. There are a few floating around but I haven't had a chance to throw one of the PDGA approved versions yet.

This is complicated information, but it's good to know! I pre-ordered the Valley today, so I'm excited! Went with heaviest available. Interested to see how it flies, because it's been compared to the Lace. The Lace has a right-turning ability for power-throwers, and I think the Valley should have this same right-turning ability, but it'll be more obvious to newer players. :thmbup::thmbup:

I'm currently throwing a 168g unlace. It seems a little too unstable for me. Is there anything else from vibram thatay be a little easier to throw. As a lefty I'm looking for something that will go slightly left but not as hard left as the unlace. I have found some uses for the unlace but, it was ideally what I was searching for

Thanks,
adam

I'm currently throwing a 168g unlace. It seems a little too unstable for me. Is there anything else from vibram thatay be a little easier to throw. As a lefty I'm looking for something that will go slightly left but not as hard left as the unlace. I have found some uses for the unlace but, it was ideally what I was searching for

Thanks,
adam

Maybe try a Lace in a lighter weight.

Will the lighter discs tend to go left for me? I do like the flip and roll of the unlace but it's unpredictable for me.

A lighter weight Lace may take some beating in (depending on how far you throw) before it goes reliably left for you. It is the logical next step from the unLace though. Maybe get a firm so it will beat in quicker.

A lighter weight Lace may take some beating in (depending on how far you throw) before it goes reliably left for you. It is the logical next step from the unLace though. Maybe get a firm so it will beat in quicker.

Agreed. Also, if you are buying in person, look for one that has a lower PLH (essentially the height of the wing).

Thanks,
adam

I think the Trak is what you're looking for. The Lace is too fast/unpredictable for that kind of shot in my opinion. I'm also a lefty and use the Trak for long turnovers.

I thought he was looking for something with slight turn that will fade back... not just a turnover. Although, if he can learn to do that with a Trak, he will be a lot better off.

I thought he was looking for something with slight turn that will fade back... not just a turnover. Although, if he can learn to do that with a Trak, he will be a lot better off.

I can use my Trak almost (but not quite) interchangably with my Eagle. Depending on the angle, you can get nice turnovers and nice s-Curve lines.

Thanks,
adam

I'd go with the Trak, because a speed 7 is twice as consistent for newer players as a speed 14 (which would be the Lace). It will also go just as far as the Lace, if you're a newer player.

The unLace is difficult to master, but it might help to throw stand-stills with for a while. You'll pushing it out there without having it turning over, as much. Stand stills are how you improve before you start tackling the run-up, cross-step, and heel-pivot.

Latest posts