• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

The Unlace is the longest mold I have, and great for long, BH turnover shots... but somewhat unforgiving in terms of needing clean form and lots of wrist.

Lots of love here for Vibram's high-quality products! :thmbup:

QUESTION TO THOSE MOST WHO ARE HIGHLY EXPERIENCED WITH VIBRAM'S PRODUCT LINE:

If you had to pick one Vibram disc that solidly outperforms all other discs on the market in the role for which they were designed (e.g. understable high-speed driver), which one would it be, and why?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

IMO, the unLace. Superb understable distance driver.

I'm sure this is somewhere in the 409 pages, but what's the deal on pre-pdga putters? I have a pre-pdga ridge and really like the feel of it. Is it cool to use it? Is it technically an 'illegal' disc?

it is fine to use. it just means that is the early rubber mold. sought after in some circles.

it has been pdga approved since it's pressing.

The Unlace is the longest mold I have, and great for long, BH turnover shots... but somewhat unforgiving in terms of needing clean form and lots of wrist.

Agree - it is an oddball disc in that it is a high-speed form factor that doesn't like high speed. Of all the Vibram MPH markings on the back, only the Summit is lower last time I checked, 43 mph or so.

If you hit it just right at about 60% on a hyzer release, it just flies forever.

So I picked up some Vibrams to make a small bag to mess around in the (rainy) off season. I've played exactly 2 rounds now with them and here are my opinions for whatever they're worth.

Making the Vibram bag:
Medium Ridge (173g) - I used to have a firm Ridge a long time ago. I always loved this disc for driving and putting back then, and I still love this disc for driving and putting now. One of the more underrated putters out there imo.
Medium Obex (177g) - Man, I used to have one of these and all I remember thinking was that it was super overstable and glideless. Throwing this now, I think this is one of the best Rancho Roc clones I've ever thrown. Nice glide, great high speed stability, gentle forward fade. I'd rate it 4 5 0 2. Great disc.
Medium Crag (176g) - Flies a lot like a Pig or Gator. It's a little deep for forehands and the weirdly shaped rim isn't the most comfortable, but it's nicely overstable and should be useful occasionally. I'd rate it a 3.5 2 0 3
Medium Launch (177g) - Flies like a worked in Roc. I wish it were just a little less stable to create more separation between it and the Obex, but the slight turn and lack of fade mean that it has a place. 4 5 -1 0.5
Medium Ascent and Medium Notch (both close to 175) - These fly very similarly, like an overstable Teebird with just a little less glide. I'll probably only bag one of them but I can't decide which. Probably the Notch since the Ascent is OOP (even though you can still buy the final run ones). 7 4 0 2.5

Not making the Vibram bag:
Firm Ibex (177g): I had high hopes for this flying somewhat like a Buzzz. In my past experience, new buzzzes often tend to have just a small flip up and then a very straight flight with lots of glide and a mellow fade. This disc does not do that. It is easily as beefy or moreso than the Obex with less glide. I adjusted to the high speed stability and threw it side by side with the Obex on several holes and it just doesn't glide well. They flew similar lines but the Obex outdistanced it significantly every single time. I'd call it a 4 3 0 2. Given other peoples' praise of this mold, I'd guess mine is just a turd and not representative of all Ibexes.

Still to try:
175g Medium Lace and 168g Medium OLace: Both of these look really nice. I had a firm lace in the past that flew amazingly for about half a dozen throws and then got flippy as crap. The PLH on this one looks higher than my memories of that disc, and in my past experience medium beats in a little slower so I'm hopeful. The OLace looks and feels just like the Lace but with ever so slightly higher PLH. Both have a smooth dome with just a little pop to them.

I reckon your Ibex is a lemon. I fell in love with the Ibex because it flew like a longer, seasoned Shark for me out of the box. Now, I have a medium and soft--no firm--so that may make a difference, in some degree.

The first Valley I had was a lemon, flying way overstable for me. It was only after I threw my son's Valley that I figured it out, and then the Valley became a favorite. (The X-Link medium gets a bit squishy in summer heat and, as I don't care for the feel of the Firm, quit carrying the Vibram fairways because of it.) So Vibram lemons can be way off the mark.

Most of my bag now is MVP. I still carry the Ibex in soft and medium because it's such a sweet mold. I carried Sharks from the time they came out on the market until I found the Ibex.

Pulled out the Vibram bag today because it was cold and wet here in DFW. Love the grip, etc. etc. etc... that's why I have a Vibram bag. Playing a couple of rounds at Turner today, I couldn't help but notice how much better the Ascent is than their newer fairway driver for the "same" purpose... the Arch. I have all of their molds and I can't express my disappointment on the discontinued status of the Ascent. Oh well, this is a "utility" bag for me, so I need to get over it.

Pulled out the Vibram bag today because it was cold and wet here in DFW. Love the grip, etc. etc. etc... that's why I have a Vibram bag. Playing a couple of rounds at Turner today, I couldn't help but notice how much better the Ascent is than their newer fairway driver for the "same" purpose... the Arch. I have all of their molds and I can't express my disappointment on the discontinued status of the Ascent. Oh well, this is a "utility" bag for me, so I need to get over it.

Weird. I found the exact opposite to be true. The newer fairways are much more.....consistent? I could never find a trak or ascent that would work the way that it was sold. But the valley, arch, and notch all seem to be right about where Vibram says they are. At least for me, though the half & half V.O. versions were pretty nice!

The older fairways didn't fly well, for me. The Trak, for example, was something that I viewed as more of a mid. When the new fairways appeared (and I figured out the first Valley I had was a lemon), I carried a Vamp, a Valley, and an Arch and found them all to work better than the older models.

And thinking about it now, I think I need to put together an all-Vibram bag for cold weather. Ridge, Ibex, Vamp, Valley, Arch, Lace, UnLace, all in medium or soft.

The older fairways didn't fly well, for me. The Trak, for example, was something that I viewed as more of a mid. When the new fairways appeared (and I figured out the first Valley I had was a lemon), I carried a Vamp, a Valley, and an Arch and found them all to work better than the older models.

And thinking about it now, I think I need to put together an all-Vibram bag for cold weather. Ridge, Ibex, Vamp, Valley, Arch, Lace, UnLace, all in medium or soft.

Apsh, Trak is the best of the bunch. OOP'ing the Trak is what turned me away from Vibram (besides still using Soles to putt).

Was at a local PIAS the other day and they had some Vibram for cheap. Ended up getting a Crag and Ascent, mostly to just hang on the wall and remember Vibram by bit of course I had to throw them and see if I had missed anything.

The Ascent is a pretty standard long fairway/short control driver for some turn some fade and is overall not extremely special but very useable.

The Crag however is very interesting. It's like a Harpish slow mid/ approach disc with this weird high wing and shoulder, fairly deep, and for hit and stick approaches inside 250 it's really accurate and realizable. It's got a downright funky feel but throws really well.

Digging this thread up because I'm curious if these Vibram putters are worth anything.

I was going through my stash and found these two Ridges. The red one is a 176g and the one with the skull is a 175. The red one was used for maybe two or three rounds and the skull one was likely thrown a few times in a field. Unfortunately, both are inked.

Thinking of thinning out a chunk of discs that I don't throw but didn't want to over or under price these things.

Any idea where I should price these things?

b6c82cf18ce4db71fe187be030108eab.jpg

e799c2a708c7fc7932d311b1efb1051b.jpg

Digging this thread up because I'm curious if these Vibram putters are worth anything.

I was going through my stash and found these two Ridges. The red one is a 176g and the one with the skull is a 175. The red one was used for maybe two or three rounds and the skull one was likely thrown a few times in a field. Unfortunately, both are inked.

Thinking of thinning out a chunk of discs that I don't throw but didn't want to over or under price these things.

Any idea where I should price these things?

b6c82cf18ce4db71fe187be030108eab.jpg

e799c2a708c7fc7932d311b1efb1051b.jpg

I've seen them in the $20-30 Range, but you might get more than that on Facebook. I don't mess with that though.

Latest posts