• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
isnt this the definition of disc golf?

Well, there is disc golf and then there is disc golf. The first one is where you have multiple discs so you can throw what is best for the situation and lower your score. And then the second one is where you throw what could make your shot look cool but will eventually raise your score. Often I get caught up in the second.

Sadly I often play as well or sometimes even better when I only carry four or five discs instead of my full complement of 18 in my Carolina bag. Then again, the one time I put this theory to the test during a major tournament, I stunk it up even worse than normal.

Not trying to derail the thread, but someone mentioned the Trax is like a longer Eagle. Um...so this is good vs a headwind?

I am seriously becoming a Vibram fan...but want to learn more.

I can only speak for the discs in my bag. My Trak (orange marble) has more glide and is more understable than any of my Ascents. In my experience, the Ascent is better into a headwind. Better doesn't make it a headwind disc. My Trak and Ascents are prone to turn over in headwinds over 15 mph, so I carry an EXP1 or Banshee.

Not trying to derail the thread, but someone mentioned the Trax is like a longer Eagle. Um...so this is good vs a headwind?

I have a max weight Trak that is pretty understable - more than I thought it would be given the flight ratings most stores give it. Never thrown an Eagle, but this thing is more understable than my beat Champ Leopard. So I wouldn't imagine it being very good in the wind.

I was only refering to the "Black-Eye" Traks. My normal medium Trak is not as understable as I was expecting or hearing others talk about, but it only has a few throws on it. The Black-Eyes (all yellow except a ring of black around the logo to make the logo stand out) are considerably more stable and do not represent the normal runs of Traks. They are out of production. I do not know what happened at the plant to make them so stable, so I do not know if it can replicated if that is the type of disc you are looking for.

6243336603_1f5d7920e3.jpg

It is the third one in the bag. The orange one is the Ascent and the blue is the Medium Trak.

This ebay listing gives you a better look at the disc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vibram-X-Li...081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d302c92e1

My first few throws with the Black-Eye Trak reminded me a lot of a slightly shorter Predator. My comment that you likely saw is that after numerous trees hits and getting used to the disc, it now reminds me more of a longer Eagle than a Predator, a much longer and new Eagle. Basically a healthy dose of HSS with consistent and predictable LSS. My blue Medium Trak still has enough HSS where it can turn but not easily flip, but it has considerbly less LSS.

Got my first ace today with the Sole! Hole 7 at Sequoyah Park.

Nice glide with the Sole. Just threw it with an easy S curve and watched it sail in. Solid chains. Bottom of the basket!

Sweet.

I've been playing two disc golf for close to four weeks now. With the exception of big power and flying really slowly into a headwind, the Ibex really can do it all. It is all I want it to be.

I've been playing two disc golf for close to four weeks now. With the exception of big power and flying really slowly into a headwind, the Ibex really can do it all. It is all I want it to be.

I played in GGGT's extra tournament that included with their Ace Race on Saturday. I rocked an all Vibram bag but mainly used the Ridge, Ibex, and a Black-Eyed Trak. I finished 10 under par, 28 holes with 10 birdies and no bogeys.

That is not saying much about the temp course we played on it, but those three almost always did exactly what I wanted them to do. On the rare occassion one of them did not fly how I wanted (mainly from human error), the others quickly picked it up and at least allowed me to save par.

Anyway, I am very pleased with the Vibram discs in this bag.

So as a driving putter, would you all say that the Sole is in between the stability of a Ridge and VP. When pushing my Ridge past 220 feet, its easy for me to get a too much turn out of it. But my VP starts to fade too early at that distance. I'm hoping the Sole is just right - straight with a late fade.

So as a driving putter, would you all say that the Sole is in between the stability of a Ridge and VP. When pushing my Ridge past 220 feet, its easy for me to get a too much turn out of it. But my VP starts to fade too early at that distance. I'm hoping the Sole is just right - straight with a late fade.

For me it really depends on the snap I guess. If I underwhelm it, it has a ton of fade, but if I get it just right it will hold its line all the way into the ground. The tough part is comparing it to the other putters because the Sole has a ton more loft than those other two putters. The Ridge can get out there but I almost think it is more because of it being a fast putter, almost a mid in that regard. The Sole is slow but just hangs in the air forever.

I guess it is up to you, but when looking at the distance, while I can get the Sole out there and it will do the job, I more often start looking at the Ridge for a straighter or slightly turned line or the Ibex for a consistent finish. For me, it is a million times easier to power down a reliable mid than to power up a putter, especially one that floats in the air and can be affected by the wind or height restrictions.

I have no problems driving my ridge,i can get it out 300easy with little to no turn. To me the sole is a little less hss than the ridge and can shape lines better.every ridge ive thrown from new to used 170g-176g ,have all been reliable in wind and ive yet to have one turn too much. Sounds like oat if the ridge is turrning for u past 220'

DiscGolfCenter.com has unique Firm Ibexes in stock, so you can pick the exact disc you want. I was hoping for x-link, but they're firms. I couldn't wait any longer and I found one with colors I like, so I purchased a firm anyway. Hopefully the firm Ibex isn't damaged as easily as my firm Ascent.

I also voted long range driver. It would complete the vibram bag. Or at least have all the ranges covered. I agree with curveball4, second choice would be an understable mid to compliment the Ibex. Something with the flight characteristics similar to a Stingray.

Status
Not open for further replies.