• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What is your favorite putter and why?

From 70' or so to the basket, I use Yeti's. They feel great for me and release clean. Took more than 15 different putter molds before I found what I like.

For up shots, been playing recently with a G* BB Aviar driver and a Fluid Judge. Have to wait for warmer weather before I can make a final decision though.

I'm not a fan of driving with putters, I'm more consistent powering down a mid.

Axiom soft neutron envy for putting and approaches and my esp zone for drives and approaches I need to skip a corner.

Honorable mentions go to my apx which I love for working on form and my yeti which I love except I don't like feel in the cold. Which got me to try the envy.

Classic Judges for putting. They have their drawbacks (wind affects them a lot), but nothing has given me a more consistent putting game. If I'm outside the circle, it depends on the conditions. If it's calm, I stick with the Judge. If it's into a headwind or crosswind, it's a SS Wizard. If it's a tailwind, I'll use the Opto Pure.

For a driving putter, it's almost always an Opto Pure for me. I have put a Breaker in the bag, now, but it's only in the testing phase for a more OS driving putter.

The first putter I really got hooked on was the Eraser Wizard. The super stiff but still grippy Eraser plastic feels great, and I like beaded putters. I recently started using the Classic Judge though. Very similar to the Eraser Wizard, but a shallower rim feels better for me. I picked up one in Fuzion plastic for longer shots, cause the Classic plastic wears pretty quickly, and I tend to hit trees.

Putters are worse than opinions and a$$h0les -- everyone has more than one.

Case in point, me. These are all in my practice basket right now: Ion, Anode, Challenger, Magnet, Envy, Rhyno, Zone, Aviar, Shield, Dagger (x2). I'm still working out the Dagger and making progress. The Envy is my go-to upshot disc but I love the feel and grip of the Zero plastic.

It's also kind of like the rest of the discs. Some of us have this nagging feeling that the "perfect" putter/mid/driver for us is out there waiting to be found. But I know if I had just started with a stack of any one putter and practiced with them I'm sure I'd be a better putter today.

I personally have stopped trying new putters. I started throwing wizards the past year and my putting game has drastically improved. I'm not as hot or as cold as I use to be. They fly with a predictable dump at the end that shortens blow byes, and tightens up my lines.

I use to putt regularly with Omega SS & AP and I would go back to those too if I had to make a switch.

This has come from lots of experience testing out different putters (I have bolded the ones I preferred):
Innova
Aviar-DX, BB, SB, KC, JK, Yeti, R-Pro, McPro
Rhyno- DX, Champ, Star
Wedge- Star
Dart- Champ, R-Pro
XD- Champ, DX

Discraft
Magnet- Pro-D, Soft, Z, Glo FLX
Challenger- Pro-D, Soft, Z, Cryztal, FLX
Focus- Pro-D
Ringer- Pro-D
Zone- Pro-D, Z, Crystal, ESP, Crystal FLX
Rattler- Pro-D

Latitude/DD/Westside
Spike- Soft & Hard
Pure- Zero, EZE, Opto
Judge- Classic, Classic Blend, Classic Soft, Lucid
Sinus- AP
Warden- Classic & classic soft
Harp- BT
Shield- BT soft

Millennium/Hyzerbomb
Omega- SS & AP
Omega BB- SS & AP
Tank- SS

DGA
Titanic- Proline
Reef- D
Breaker- Proline & SP
Blowfly

MVP
Ion- Proton & Neutron
Anode- Proton & Neutron

Discmanina
P1- D
P2- D, P, S
P3- C

Legacy
Clutch- Gravity, Icon
Clozer- Gravity, Icon

Gateway (I perfer the SS-SSS blend)
Wizard- M, S, SS, SSS, SSSS, SSSSS, RF, RFF, HPP
Vodoo- M, S, SS, SSS, HPP, Organic
Warlock- S, SS, SSS
Magic- SS, SSS, HPP
Chief- SS

Prodigy
PA4- Whatever the baseline is

Misc
Beaver
Polar Bear
Garbaloid
Rubber Putter
Turbo Putter
Aerobie Arrow
and probably a few others

This list does not mean that I have had extensive time with each, but I have played enough with each one to give it a legitimate chance, well with the exception of maybe a few on the bottom.

I carry 4 putters. 2 breakers, one overstable and one neutral that will hold an anny line without fighting out of it. I throw these on a lot of upshots and all drives.

2 McPro's or DX Aviars in the winter. One is a putter only and the other is a backup putter, jump putter (a little straighter) and touch upshots.

Haven't changed in a long time...pretty happy.

Last edited:
Westside BT soft Swan for putting. Stays soft, even in winter.I always carry this disc, because it flies so straight.

MVP Neutron Ion for straight driving/approaches and sometimes putting.With heavy snow, i use Ion for single disc round.Good glide, midrange-ish distance.

Innova Star Rhyno for approaches when i need predictable fade.

I love the wizard. I throw a ton of drives and almost all my approaches with my putters, so I need one that can handle power and also is controllable. For me the inside the circle putting is about the same with any traditionally shaped putter, and I like to have a consistent mold for all my putter shots so I stick with the wizard for those too.

I love the wizard. I throw a ton of drives and almost all my approaches with my putters, so I need one that can handle power and also is controllable. For me the inside the circle putting is about the same with any traditionally shaped putter, and I like to have a consistent mold for all my putter shots so I stick with the wizard for those too.

Yeah this is my style. I keep a max vs lighter but really dont like having more than one putter in the bag. Its easier to do with molds like the wizard or ion with their big beads and slightly OS flight when fresh. If my main putter was understable i could see carrying a few different molds.

Finesse and super OS putters almost have an entire different role utility style.

Soft Magnet. I love the concave underwing because it fits my finger when I can grip. There are a few putters out there modelled after the Magnet, such as the Swan, Sole and Clutch.

My favorite for putting is the Swan 2, which I also like for driving when I need a left turn.

I've been using a Shield a lot this winter, and like it only slightly less than the Swan for putting, and more for driving.

Others I have tried include Pure, Aviar PnA, Dart, Summit, Challenger, and Ion.

For putting I really like my APX. I tend to throw as hard as I need to cover the distance, and not really any harder. That means it's travelling fairly slow at the end of the throw. Previous molds I've tried (Aviars, Challengers, Wizards) had a pronounced fade as they slowed, so putts that started out on target faded off line... I always had to compensate by aiming a bit right target (RHBH).

The APX's "understability" allows me to aim at where I want it to go, without having to throw harder than I need to get it there. It's also great for annie finesse shots with my Looking over might right shoulder with my back to the basket. It fits my personal putting style quite nicely.

That said, I really don't use it beyond 100' or so... FLX Challenger is my "go to" out to about 200'. Between 60' and 120', I might use either depending on the shot and conditions.

Last edited:

I use the KC Aviar in the same way. 2 for putting and 3 for upshots/drives with a XG champ rhyno for windy/utility.

I have 1 Wizard that feels great in the hand. Problem is I dive in head first and buy too many when trying a new mold to get the full spectrum of plastics/flight. Don't feel like investing in a new putting experience at the moment :)

Soft Envy for off the tee and approaches. This is the first disc i bought in 2014 that made the bag right off the bat. Crazy good.

Prodigy PA4 for hyzer flip turnovers and anny shots.

Blend Judge for in the circle. These are fairly new to me. I really love the feel but i don't quite have the consistency that i had with my wizards. I'm going to stick it out a little longer but a good wizard is tough to beat.

The only putters I use are KC Aviars. I currently carry four in my bag. I have one for putting & three for drives/upshots. I like to limit the number of molds I carry as much as I can. Cycling KC Aviars allows me to only have to carry one putter mold. I like that it has a bead. I feel beaded putters come out of my hand more consistently than headless putters. Before deciding to switch to KC Aviars for putting I previous was putting with DX Aviar P&As. I like the added stability that KCs offer over the P&As. I've found that I feel more confident & putt better in the wind with KCs than P&As. I attribute this to the added stability of KC Aviars. The KC Pro plastic fits my putting style well because I prefer stiffer plastic putters. I think softer putters cause a lot of inconstancies compared to stiffer putters. This is has been very apparent to me, especially with the drastic seasonal temperature/weather changes (I live in Wisconsin :|). I think softer putters are also less consistent because the flight plate flexes depending how hard you grip your putter. To me that means if you don't grip with the same exact pressure every time you putt your putter leaves your hand slightly different every time. That's why I prefer a stiffer putter (for more consistency in regards to the putter leaving my hand). Then again I could just be crazy & way overthinking my plastic preferences.

I use Wardens; just feels (and flies) right for me putting and throwing...

170g Classic Blend for putts of all distances. 175g Classic (Hard) and 175g Classic Blend for throwing.