• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your Buzzz of choice?

What's your Buzzz of choice?

• 1st Run

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • 2FR Buzzz

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Old production Z

Votes: 34 11.4%
  • New production Z

Votes: 69 23.1%
  • Midnight

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Z SS

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • ESP SS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESP

Votes: 35 11.7%
  • FLX

Votes: 37 12.4%
  • Pro D

Votes: 14 4.7%
  • Crystal Z

Votes: 26 8.7%
  • Crystal FLX

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Sparkle Z

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • X Buzzz

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • I plead the 5th...

Votes: 28 9.4%

• Total voters
I've been getting surgical with my Glo Buzzzes. Enough time has elapsed with them in my bag to now go ahead and crown them the best Buzzz available, perhaps of all time (ultimate durability still undetermined). I LOVE these Buzzzes. They fly great on all lines. My current fave is the slight turnover straight shot that just straightens out at the end. My Glo is just broken in to the point where I pop it with just a touch of anny seemingly effortlessly and it just does that beautiful line through whatever gap I need to hit for about 300'. These Buzzzes are definitely not as affected by wind as most others either.

I'm probably going to grab on of the new Z Glo Buzzz SS's to test this week to see how it compares to the other runs I've had. They feel real nice and stiff like the regular Glo Buzzzes. Anyone throw these yet?

discspeed said:
I'm probably going to grab on of the new Z Glo Buzzz SS's to test this week to see how it compares to the other runs I've had. They feel real nice and stiff like the regular Glo Buzzzes. Anyone throw these yet?

I tried one of these tonight...big disappointment. Though they are made of the same plastic as the regular Z Glo Buzzz, the giant stamp on the front makes them flat...too flat. The flight plate is actually concave. This kills the glide. They also are kind of stable, not really flipping up or turning. When I did turn it, the disc just fell out of the air. This is one of the worst Buzzzes I've ever thrown, which is too bad because I think with a decent dome it could be a totally different disc.

I'm about to take my first plunge into the world of the Buzzz. I just won an auction for a heavy CryZtal Buzzz with a farting lemon stamp on it. Yes, I know you all hate that logo, but I just like that it's got Indiana on it. :)

I tried out my new CryZtal Buzzz today, and I think it is going to take me a while to get the hang of it. It seemed to fly a bit more stable than I expected. I'm sure a lot of it is bad form, but I did not really get a good straight throw with it. I did almost hyzer (well I didn't throw it hyzer, but it hyzered anyway hehe) a great birdie shot with it, but it just barely missed. I still will use my trusty Roc for my approaches, but I'll still try to get practice in the the Buzzz to give it a chance. It is a really nice looking disc though. :)

Looking through this thread, I guess I haven't expressed in depth my opinions of the Crystal Z Buzzz.

The Crystal Z Buzzz is a somewhat bizarre member of the Buzzz family. Crystal Z is bizarre itself, so that is probably why. For example, one year at Sunking's Red Hawk Amateur Championships they had Crystal Z Avenger SS's. I had some credit from a previous tourney so I decided to try one out because they had a nice dome, were fairly stiff, and felt great. At this point I was throwing all Discraft and using the ESP ASS, and it tended to get too flippy, too fast. I was hoping this Z version would be a better disc for longer. I threw it out at Red Hawk and was surprised by its stability. It had just a touch of high speed turn with a healthy fade. Overall it was very straight and glided decently long, kind of like an original mold Beast. I liked it a lot and started giving it the full test at all of my home courses. I threw it at a variety of speeds and on all kinds of holes. I had had it for about 2 weeks and I was playing on a windy day. The disc seemed to be less stable, but I wasn't sure. I knocked it pretty good off a tee and it didn't work the rest of that day as it was flipping on every shot. I chalked it up to the wind and went home. Next time I played the wind wasn't blowing and to my surprise the Crystal Z ASS was flying just like my ESPs. I put it down after that. The next tournament I played a guy in my group pulled out a Crystal Z ASS and threw a roller than flipped early and failed. This was about a month after the tournament that provided the Crystal Z ASS. I asked him about it and he told me that although it had started out more stable than his ESPs, it quickly broke in and now it was his flippiest and only useful for rollers. The disc still appeared almost new.

So anyway, the Crystal Z starts out as perhaps the most overstable Buzzz, but breaks in as fast or faster than most the other plastics. That's one issue I have with those Buzzzes. Flightwise they are different as well. They are slower and more affected by the wind. Because of the slow speed they need more height to fly far than other Buzzzes. Because of this and the stability, I often lead Roc throwers who ask me about the Buzzz in the Crystal Z direction. The discs do fly on nice, glidey hyzers when new, and break in to be nice glidey straight/turnover discs, but they suck in the wind. Overall, I think most the other Buzzzes are better choices for versatility and durability.

discspeed said:
Looking through this thread, I guess I haven't expressed in depth my opinions of the Crystal Z Buzzz.

Hm...shame. I picked up two just before winter started (with some sweet stamps none the less). I throw them in rotation so hopefully they'll last longer. If not, maybe they'll fit the straight/understable mid roll in my bag. If not, I suppose I can always start throwing my glows when it isn't dark out.

discspeed said:

The Crystal Z Buzzz is a somewhat bizarre member of the Buzzz family. Crystal Z is bizarre itself, so that is probably why. For example, one year at Sunking's Red Hawk Amateur Championships they had Crystal Z Avenger SS's. I had some credit from a previous tourney so I decided to try one out because they had a nice dome, were fairly stiff, and felt great. At this point I was throwing all Discraft and using the ESP ASS, and it tended to get too flippy, too fast. I was hoping this Z version would be a better disc for longer. I threw it out at Red Hawk and was surprised by its stability. It had just a touch of high speed turn with a healthy fade. Overall it was very straight and glided decently long, kind of like an original mold Beast. I liked it a lot and started giving it the full test at all of my home courses. I threw it at a variety of speeds and on all kinds of holes. I had had it for about 2 weeks and I was playing on a windy day. The disc seemed to be less stable, but I wasn't sure. I knocked it pretty good off a tee and it didn't work the rest of that day as it was flipping on every shot. I chalked it up to the wind and went home. Next time I played the wind wasn't blowing and to my surprise the Crystal Z ASS was flying just like my ESPs. I put it down after that. The next tournament I played a guy in my group pulled out a Crystal Z ASS and threw a roller than flipped early and failed. This was about a month after the tournament that provided the Crystal Z ASS. I asked him about it and he told me that although it had started out more stable than his ESPs, it quickly broke in and now it was his flippiest and only useful for rollers. The disc still appeared almost new.

So anyway, the Crystal Z starts out as perhaps the most overstable Buzzz, but breaks in as fast or faster than most the other plastics. That's one issue I have with those Buzzzes. Flightwise they are different as well. They are slower and more affected by the wind. Because of the slow speed they need more height to fly far than other Buzzzes. Because of this and the stability, I often lead Roc throwers who ask me about the Buzzz in the Crystal Z direction. The discs do fly on nice, glidey hyzers when new, and break in to be nice glidey straight/turnover discs, but they suck in the wind. Overall, I think most the other Buzzzes are better choices for versatility and durability.

Interesting info indeed, thanks for sharing. The Crystal Z is the last of the Buzzzes I have yet to try out, if you don't count the GTs. I've got two Crystal Z Avenger SS, one of which I've had since last summer and its still plenty stable but it might not be worn enough to get as flippy as you describe, the other I just got as a present so its only been tossed a few times. I can definitely echo your sentiment though with regards to Crystal Z Challengers, as I have one I used a ton last year and seemingly all of the sudden it lost its overstablility.

Cryztal Z is definitely a plastic apart. Never thrown an ASS, but if you want a really overstable CZ Challenger, look for a flat one. I have had no problems with the flat ones losing stability, but you simply cannot throw them as hard as other Challengers. I used to carry a CZ Buzzz, and they are nice to look at, but a heavy FLX or Glo Buzzz fills the same slot with more wind resistance and speed. Nice trophies, but not the pick of the litter. Still, if you want to throw them, I salute you. Again, flatter has been more stable in my experience. Domey ones have an interesting trait though. You can chuck the crap out of them and they go a ways, but they appear to be putters they fly so slowly. Oddly, most players that I know that carry only one Buzzz use Cryztal, and most that carry more than two don't use the Cryztal.
KP

discspeed said:
I've been getting surgical with my Glo Buzzzes. Enough time has elapsed with them in my bag to now go ahead and crown them the best Buzzz available, perhaps of all time (ultimate durability still undetermined). I LOVE these Buzzzes. They fly great on all lines. My current fave is the slight turnover straight shot that just straightens out at the end. My Glo is just broken in to the point where I pop it with just a touch of anny seemingly effortlessly and it just does that beautiful line through whatever gap I need to hit for about 300'. These Buzzzes are definitely not as affected by wind as most others either.

Are the glo buzzzes stable enough to leave a Wasp out of the bag for wind...or are you still carrying something more overstable for windy days? That's the only reason I have my Wasp, but I have only thrown my Glo Buzzz a couple times, and the weather won't be permitting around here for a while still...

Unity said:
discspeed said:

Are the glo buzzzes stable enough to leave a Wasp out of the bag for wind...or are you still carrying something more overstable for windy days? That's the only reason I have my Wasp, but I have only thrown my Glo Buzzz a couple times, and the weather won't be permitting around here for a while still...

I had an Aftershock in the bag for a little while. A month or so ago I played a mini tournament in pretty extreme wind. All the holes were pretty short. When it got really windy the Aftershock was flipping and needed to be thrown with a lot of hyzer just like the Buzzz. I decided that it wasn't enough better than the Buzzz to bother with. I throw my Buzzz in pretty extreme wind because I know it so well. I know how to play the bit of flip and how the wind is going to push it, etc. If its too windy for the shot I need with the Buzzz, then I'll throw a Striker or XXX. This has been the windiest winter I've ever played through, down here or in MI, so I've gotten a lot of work on my windy day game. All in all, the Glo Buzzz works great in the wind.

discspeed said:
discspeed said:

I tried one of these tonight...big disappointment. Though they are made of the same plastic as the regular Z Glo Buzzz, the giant stamp on the front makes them flat...too flat. The flight plate is actually concave. This kills the glide. They also are kind of stable, not really flipping up or turning. When I did turn it, the disc just fell out of the air. This is one of the worst Buzzzes I've ever thrown, which is too bad because I think with a decent dome it could be a totally different disc.

I fully agree. So I modified the shape of one of mine. Its got some real nice dome to it now, just note sure it will show well in the pic. The one one the left in the pic is normal, super flat. The one on the right I took the stamp off and domed out. Cant wait to go throw it now. My first experimenting with changing the shape of a disc.
imgp1598pf.jpg

The Bird Man said:
How do you restore/create dome on a disc?
I put the disc inside a large mixing bowl, with a near airtight seal when pushed in(bottom of disc facing up). I then placed a wine bottle in the center of the disc to weigh it down. Anything round and heavy will do the trick. Keep in mind the size and weight of different objects would change the shape a bit. Then I filled the bowl with HOT tap water, topping it off with boiling water every so often. Kept it hot for about an hour, then I let it slowly cool off for about 6 hours. Pull it out and you have dome!

There is a whole thread about disc shaping somewhere on here, but no search function to find it...

I just started throwing an old flat 176 Z Buzzz and I am really pleased with it. I've rejected this same disc many times in the past. Weird.

Stiil want try the GL Core though. Feels nice.

figured i'd post this in here

went to play a round in the rain with a freind today, at hole number one there's a chap that was coming to disc by himself so of course i invited him to join...

as the round went on, i noticed some odd discs he had, one was a bulldog... never seen one before

but the reason for posting here is that he has a first run buzz, it was tye dye, but the son of a bitch painted it!!!!
it looked like a glow disc till i had it in my hands, wasp on the rim, first run on the stamp... beautiful disc with spray PAINT! on it

what...
i told him he's crazy dumb dude (pg version) he said, well i found it, the dye made it hard to find so i painted it....

ugh.... a tear to my eye

i wanna steal it and acetone the paint off, whats this guy thinking

MotoDj said:
but the reason for posting here is that he has a first run buzz, it was tye dye, but the son of a bitch painted it!!!!
it looked like a glow disc till i had it in my hands, wasp on the rim, first run on the stamp... beautiful disc with spray PAINT! on it
Shouldn't there be some sort of jail sentence associated with this?

rKp said:
MotoDj said:
Shouldn't there be some sort of jail sentence associated with this?
Total Buzzz kill....