• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why does Nate Doss tape his fingers?

DillonN

I've noticed in a couple of videos that Nate Doss tapes some of his fingers up with what, I'm assuming, is medical tape. Does anyone know why? The reason I ask is that when I go to play a round my first 5 drives, give or take, hurt my index and middle finger joints. (closest to my finger tip) Any help on the subject would be much appreciated.

You can see what I'm talking about in this video at about 20 seconds in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2-Z97rgTIQ

i wear it when it is colder. it is pretty common to get a callus on your fingers from throwing. I haven't lost any chunks of skin recently so I stopped wearing it for now

i would imagine just sore finger tips, when the disc is ripping out of your hand that fast and that often i would imagine your finger tips would get sore, maybe he's always played with it on and he's just used to it

mickas said:
i would imagine just sore finger tips, when the disc is ripping out of your hand that fast and that often i would imagine your finger tips would get sore, maybe he's always played with it on and he's just used to it

I don't think that's it. I've played a lot of disc golf all at one time before and never had any trouble with my fingers being raw or sore. I want to say it has something to do with support.

mickas said:

Plus, he's a big Avenger user. My Z Avenger had the sharpest rip point of any disc I've ever used. Just a thought.

I have dry skin (esp. my hands) and I have had to tape my index finger due to the skin tearing at the first joint. Ouch. Good thing is that it doesn't seem to mess with my game. My game's already messy as it is... :lol:

Just wild speculation to offer an alternative to the previously mentioned possibilities. Less friction between the skin and the disc for added power during disc pivot increasing speed and spin rate.

The same reason I wore Jnco jeans in the late 90s.... to look cool.

I guessing because of the callus that forms on the forefinger right above the first knuckle. :idea:

ive started wearin tape on my middle finger because i started getting huge blood blisters (it hurts like a B**** when discs slide over a blister over and over again). I didnt have to wear tape till i started throwin my champ beast on a 400 ft anti...

one said:
Jsw said:
The same reason I wore Jnco jeans in the late 90s.... to look cool.

psssst

those haven't been cool since the mid 90's

Tell that to the kids I went to high school with. I moved to a cow town and like half the "punk/skater" frauds were still wearing them, and that was only like 5 years ago! I walked in and I was like "holy shit, people still wear those things?". :lol:

I wore them in like 5th and 6th grade which i guess technically was the mid/late 90s - but are we gunna split hairs here dude? 8)