• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Why doesn't everybody throw this disc?

I also know a guy that only plays with a Star Max. Just one disc, every round, every shot. I've also only ever seen him play on one course, but he beats me every time with one Star Max.

I don't know what I would do without a Pig. It's my go to driving putter.

^^^ This exactly!

Some people on here need to read the title of the thread again because LOTS of people bag TeeBirds and Roc3s. The thread isn't asking what your favorite disc is. Apparently, at least according to this thread, lots of people bag Comets too. ;)

There aren't many Sharks out there. I'm unsure why...perhaps it's the Roc being fairly close in terms of flight characteristics. It might also be the fact that the Shark was the first disc I bought and it's been in my bag since day one: overhand shots, backhand approaches, or flicks to get out of troube. Why doesn't everybody throw this disc?

Yes yes yes.

Summit for those straight, low speed, no fade shots. :thmbup:

Polecat murders Summit at that. I don't know why only old timers keep a Polecat/Rattler/X Putt'R/Super Puppy type disc. Polecat is that one disc that lets me get away with stuff most DGers can't like super tight tunnel shots.

Polecat murders Summit at that. I don't know why only old timers keep a Polecat/Rattler/X Putt'R/Super Puppy type disc. Polecat is that one disc that lets me get away with stuff most DGers can't like super tight tunnel shots.

True, but I feel the summit can do more in my hands than a polecat due to its shape and durability . :)

Anything DGA. Super underrated company IMO. I couldn't play a round without my Breaker, and my Aftershock has been helping me work out some backhand form issues.

Hum . . . well after a year of getting back into the game after a long break, I would have to say that I am thankful I had that 14 year old Stingray in the old bag. I have replaced ever disc in that old bag (including the bag) except the Stingray. Over the last year I could depend on it giving a dependable turn and 300' distance. Without it some dogleg right holes would have sucked.

I am now getting better at throwing reliable anhyzers, so we'll see what the future holds for this simple DX disc. Anyway thanks Stingray.

Escape, Mercy, Pain, Warship. They really should get more love, or at least some mercy...

F5.....it's just the best feeling and flying fairway I've ever used....I can see it being very similar to a TL. It handles power, has light fade, but is stable enough to not turn and not come back.

Also, Roadrunner and Valkyrie....just great speed 9 drivers, controlled, but great shape to them and you can do a lot when hyzer flipping a RR to go very very straight for the first 1/2 of it's flight, then bends right and fades back left.

Zone .. most unique disc i have ever thrown.. its thrown the most out of any disc in my bag other then my Putter .. if you have never tried one snag yourself an esp and thank me later
I have to ask... why exactly does everyone love the ESP Zone so much? I actually decided to buy one right before Winter so I haven't thrown it much yet, but my initial experience just makes me wonder what makes the Zone so great. I am not hating on the Zone by any means, I just want to know why it is exalted above the rest. I figured it would be helpful to have an OS putter but so far I have not been able to putt very well with it! I suppose that will come once I am familiar with this disc.

My contribution to this thread is the Z Xpress. No one ever talks about the Xpress but for me this disc flies beautifully and can be put on any line. It was the first disc I actually bought instead of inherited and it's safe to say I didn't know much technique back then. After putting it away for a while I decided to bring it back out and use it for my neutral/understable slot. I have concluded that the Z Xpress is extremely consistent and reliable yet it gets no love.

Star Firebirds. The ones I have are like no other disc I've ever thrown. Ultra predictable, super utility...just a killer disc. BH, FH, OH, skip approaches...just awesome. I affectionately call mine "Magic".

I have to ask... why exactly does everyone love the ESP Zone so much? I actually decided to buy one right before Winter so I haven't thrown it much yet, but my initial experience just makes me wonder what makes the Zone so great. I am not hating on the Zone by any means, I just want to know why it is exalted above the rest. I figured it would be helpful to have an OS putter but so far I have not been able to putt very well with it! I suppose that will come once I am familiar with this disc.

The zone is less of a putter and more of an overstable approach/short range driver. It receives high praise becuase it's slim profile, beadless, flat, and all around tough as a tank (in ESP or Z). It's a great backup head-wind putter. And does more than just hyzer shots.

You'll begin to figure out why it's so heralded as you use it more. For me, every shot within the 200ft range I always consider throwing the zone before any of my other discs. Can i hyzer at the basket? Maybe a short anhyzer flex shot to bend around the tree. Do i have a head wind? maybe a little flick roller through a tight space? Or an overhand above the wall in front of me. maybe a low skip shot. I get all of that and more in one disc.

A Putter to drive with (used on shots over 50')

A straight/stable, mid (like a Buzzz, Roc or Roc3)

An overstable driver (like a Firebird or Pred) - the only exception here would be folks that can't get over 250'

My contribution to this thread is the Z Xpress. No one ever talks about the Xpress but for me this disc flies beautifully and can be put on any line. It was the first disc I actually bought instead of inherited and it's safe to say I didn't know much technique back then. After putting it away for a while I decided to bring it back out and use it for my neutral/understable slot. I have concluded that the Z Xpress is extremely consistent and reliable yet it gets no love.

The zone for me can do it all. That is why it is so needed. If the basket is on the left from my lie and it's under 250 I'm throwing the zone. It too predictable, it does the same thing no matter what.

Ruby. All of the benefits of a lid without the deep dish feel. Plus it's premium plastic. I think it's "easy to throw" marketing hurts it in the eyes of non noobs.

The zone is less of a putter and more of an overstable approach/short range driver. It receives high praise becuase it's slim profile, beadless, flat, and all around tough as a tank (in ESP or Z). It's a great backup head-wind putter. And does more than just hyzer shots.

You'll begin to figure out why it's so heralded as you use it more. For me, every shot within the 200ft range I always consider throwing the zone before any of my other discs. Can i hyzer at the basket? Maybe a short anhyzer flex shot to bend around the tree. Do i have a head wind? maybe a little flick roller through a tight space? Or an overhand above the wall in front of me. maybe a low skip shot. I get all of that and more in one disc.
Right on. I figured something like this. I can't wait to give the Zone a proper trial on the course!
The zone for me can do it all. That is why it is so needed. If the basket is on the left from my lie and it's under 250 I'm throwing the zone. It too predictable, it does the same thing no matter what.
Sounds good :thmbup:

Latest posts