• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Wizard Weights

This is possibly the dumbest thread I have read. If Gateway wants to sell discs, let them. If you want to buy them, so be it. If tourney directors want to weigh discs, more power to them. I do not fault Gateway for trying to sell their product. If a person wants to be a stickler for the rules, only buy 174 and lower marked Wizards (whether they actually weigh what they are stamped/marked is another kettle of fish). But who really gives a rats @ss.

The vast majority of players of disc golf are under no obligation to throw "approved" discs. Unless you are in a sanctioned tournament, it does not matter. At that point, it is the players obligation to use legal discs. That means weighing them yourself to determine. Will anyone every check you, no. But if it helps you sleep better at night, go for it. Disc manufacturers are only responsible for making and selling. If Gateways "blatant disregard for the law" is such a problem, buy something else and stop being internet outraged over a stupid piece of plastic.

So lets say this was football and the NCAA had specifications for footballs. Then come to find out that one of the major suppliers of footballs was making them outside of the specifications and thousands of the football out there being used in practice and games were actually illegal. You are saying that would be on each of the individual Universities to have checked each football specifically against the NCAA specifications, not on the company that ignored the rules and produced thousands of illegal footballs?

So basically if I'm going to play in a sanctioned event, it's my responsibility to test each of my discs (weight is just one thing, I have to get calipers and then I don't even know how I would do the flex test) and that is totally 100% on me with no obligation by the manufacturer for the legality of those discs? We should in no way expect them to be following the PDGA guidelines when they stamp "PDGA approved" on the disc?

Lol at that common sense.

Word^ I've been offered returns or refunds on over-weight discs from a manufacturer. I think most care for that reason 3putt.

129041188491268621.jpg

Gateway is not the only company that produces out-of-spec discs tho. Literally every single disc company does it, I don't get this witch hunt against gds

I'm soooo tempted to bring up the Tom Brady/Deflategate scandal as an analogy, but I won't, I won't..... (channeling inner John Wayne, there...)

You shouldn't. It isn't analogous.

It's very, very much analogous. Wilson makes the footballs, and they may or may not inflate them properly when they make them. However, it's not their job to check the air pressure during each game.

Similar situation here. That Wizard may or may not be proper weight, but it's not the manufacturer's job to check it for tournament usage.

And in both cases, for casual play it's a non-issue (unless the user of the disc makes it one).

Definitely analogous.

It's very, very much analogous. Wilson makes the footballs, and they may or may not inflate them properly when they make them. However, it's not their job to check the air pressure during each game.

Similar situation here. That Wizard may or may not be proper weight, but it's not the manufacturer's job to check it for tournament usage.

And in both cases, for casual play it's a non-issue (unless the user of the disc makes it one).

Definitely analogous.

No. The inflation is irrelevant. See Threeputt's analogy. If Wilson made each football 2mm larger than the allowed specs, but sold them with the claim that they meet the specs, then it would be analogous.

No. The inflation is irrelevant. See Threeputt's analogy. If Wilson made each football 2mm larger than the allowed specs, but sold them with the claim that they meet the specs, then it would be analogous.

No, I am correct. It's a very close, very good analogy, and I stand by it.

self-delusion:

the action of deluding oneself; failure to recognize reality:

"he retreats into a world of fantasy and self-delusion"

Does Wilson even inflate the footballs or do they ship them deflated?

I actually have no idea.

Deflated. Just like basketballs etc. Only retail packaging is inflated. When you order bulk they come bagged up in my experience. Way too big and heavy being inflated to make sense IMO.

Latest posts