• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Would you want a Overmolded Lid-like disc?

Would you want a Overmolded Lid-like disc?

• Total voters
Not MVP but RIP Relic? It looks like an overmolded lid. No idea how it flies or anything about it.

Pretty beefy. It looks kinda like an overmolded Magic but they still are overstable.

I'd dig an MVP lid if only for durability purposes. I don't care what anyone says... I've been throwing a few of my MVP discs for a couple years and they're still amazingly similar to their off the shelf flight.

If i remember right... the garboid was the OS beaded version. I didnt mind the relic but rims were pretty fat and sort of flew like bricks compared to a floaty lid.

The scale/serpant actually remind me of a better garboid/relic combo.

Something about those RIP discs just didnt fly like a normal putter lol. The FR plastic was probably some of the hardest stuff i can remember holding in all these years.

See, this is the real reason why Innova dominates the pro tours. Their guys actually have nice discs to warm up with, like the Sonic, Polecat and Birdie (not to mention OOP stuff like Gophers). Discraft guys have Rattlers and Ultrastars. What the hell is an MVP sponsored pro supposed to warm up with? No wonder Stokely was all herky jerky with his pivot foot, he didn't have a nice MVP fastback to loosen up with before the round. :doh:

If MVP could come up with a Polecat overmold clone, I (like JCassidy) would assume it would actually be durable, which would be a game changer.
Beyond that, a true lid version of the Serpent would also be awesome.

Phenix is my current play around with curiosity disc. A clone would be insane looking with that big old dome popped up.

See, this is the real reason why Innova dominates the pro tours. Their guys actually have nice discs to warm up with, like the Sonic, Polecat and Birdie (not to mention OOP stuff like Gophers). Discraft guys have Rattlers and Ultrastars. What the hell is an MVP sponsored pro supposed to warm up with? No wonder Stokely was all herky jerky with his pivot foot, he didn't have a nice MVP fastback to loosen up with before the round. :doh:

Stupid new released high speederz. GIMME AFAKIN LID!

And now trifectology has a ultimate disc being produced... Stop sleeping MVP!

Money, brah. For every one of you lid lovers, there's a hundred guys who want more D.

Good things come to those who wait.

I would love an over-molded lid. There are only a few of us in this area that throw MVP, more are throwing all the time, but the most common MVP/Axiom disc seen seen in non-MVP throwers, is the Envy.
I traveled out of town last week and met up with some random guys at the course, one had a bag full of Innova whilst the other had Innova and Latitude...but all of us ware breaking out the Envy for control drives.
Seeing how the Envy is the most popular MVP/Axiom in this area, and the Envy is lid-ish, I think an over-molded lid would sell decent.

Also, seeing how the Condor has the longest distance record(no, no, not in the air...it was rolling), I think an over-molded Condor could set a new record...and bragging rights are always nice.

Innova already tried to make a more gyroscopic Polecat. It is called the Birdie. By adding the Thumtrac they added a substantial amount of mass to only the perimeter of the disc and none in the center. This made it more gyroscopic.

IMO the Birdie is a failure. By adding the Thumtrac, it lost all of its finesse and it's glide. It is fairly straight, has good torque resistance, and has only a little fade. But it is now a DG putter in lid-ish clothing; i.e. it lost all of its lid qualities. The best use for this disc is when people want an Aviar-ish flight but can't get used to the feel of a traditional putter because they are too used to throwing lids. The Birdie is perfect for these people. For fans of the finesse game, the Birdie is not going to scratch the itch.

To answer the original question, I think an overmolded lid would be another version of the birdie. It might have a little more glide because the Thumtrac would not be messing with the aerodynamics, but it would not be a finesse disc and therefore it will not be a lid.

Seeing how the Envy is the most popular MVP/Axiom in this area, and the Envy is lid-ish, I think an over-molded lid would sell decent.

Why do people think the envy is like a lid? It is NOT like a lid in pretty much any way. Like at all.

Saying the envy is like a lid basically tells me that you have no idea what a lid flies like.

interesting idea. I throw Zephyrs in the snow, and a Condor too. I have recently become infatuated with MVP/Axiom so I would definitely try an overmolded Zephyr type disc.

Latest posts