• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Would you want a Overmolded Lid-like disc?

Would you want a Overmolded Lid-like disc?

• Total voters
Why do people think the envy is like a lid? It is NOT like a lid in pretty much any way. Like at all.

Saying the envy is like a lid basically tells me that you have no idea what a lid flies like.

No, I own a polecat, I am quite aware of how a lid flies. An Envy is lid-ish, not in its flight, but by its shape.

A lid is defined by how it is shaped, not by how it flies.
Remove the bevel from an Envy and it is a lid...a very small lid that would not have the glide that lid lovers want, but still a lid.

I, and many others it seems, want a proper sized, weighted and shaped lid. With the extra weight that the over-mold has, the plate would probably have to be Fission plastic to make it work, but that would even be nicer.

Innova already tried to make a more gyroscopic Polecat. It is called the Birdie. By adding the Thumtrac they added a substantial amount of mass to only the perimeter of the disc and none in the center. This made it more gyroscopic.

IMO the Birdie is a failure. By adding the Thumtrac, it lost all of its finesse and it's glide. It is fairly straight, has good torque resistance, and has only a little fade. But it is now a DG putter in lid-ish clothing; i.e. it lost all of its lid qualities. The best use for this disc is when people want an Aviar-ish flight but can't get used to the feel of a traditional putter because they are too used to throwing lids. The Birdie is perfect for these people. For fans of the finesse game, the Birdie is not going to scratch the itch.

To answer the original question, I think an overmolded lid would be another version of the birdie. It might have a little more glide because the Thumtrac would not be messing with the aerodynamics, but it would not be a finesse disc and therefore it will not be a lid.

To be fair Tumbtracs seem to be murder on glide. And with the Birdie it's all still one plastic. I'd like to see what the MVP guys can do with the plastic density ratio of their two piece construction.

I don't want a full size lid from them though.

I'd like to see something like the doggy style or bite.

Doggie disc are made to be soft enough to not hurt a dogs teeth; could that be done with an over-mold? Even the Electron's over-mold is pretty dense.

I am not dissing the idea, just curious.

This is pure gibberish. If DGR was still around I would go over there and see you featured in the thread making fun of DGCR.

Well I agree with him. Envy class is larger diameter and shorter wing than regular putters; its wing to plate ratio is more lid-like than not, even though its overall height and subsequent speed is very non-lid.

So what you are saying, let me get this straight, what you want is a putter that is more uncomfortable to hold like a lid, but flies like a more comfortable to hold traditional putter? That is what you want? A more uncomfortable disc that does exactly the same thing?

Well I agree with him. Envy class is larger diameter and shorter wing than regular putters; its wing to plate ratio is more lid-like than not, even though its overall height and subsequent speed is very non-lid.

Seeing that the aviar and magnet, pretty much the definition of "regular putters", are larger and have shorter wings, I would say you are significantly off the mark.

It took a long time to change my mind, but I agree with the "lid-like" marketing of the Envy. I do think the Proxy's a better comparison though (for my arm). I mentioned this somewhere else, but it's like a "lid driver". Quite a weapon, really. Maybe midrange is a better mold type. It's fast, but it can be quite floaty. It's not a one-to-one to lids by any means (don't know why it has to be), but I can now understand the marketing.

The My Proxy is a much faster Polecat in (regular) Neutron plastic...with a beveled edge.

So what you are saying, let me get this straight, what you want is a putter that is more uncomfortable to hold like a lid, but flies like a more comfortable to hold traditional putter? That is what you want? A more uncomfortable disc that does exactly the same thing?

no. i think you were asking me this question?

i want a lid. i do not want it in base plastic like the doggystyle. i do not want it super light like the opto bite. i want it the same size/shape as the doggystyle or bite, preferably deeper like the doggystyle, and heavier weight so it's easier to get a feel for on slow finesse shots. i much prefer a heavy disc for finesse work. feeling the sling around the fingers is crucial.

so i want a lid that isn't a "full size" ultimate lid in premium plastic with a normal disc weight.

I was posting at the people claiming the envy is lid-like, but only where it counts which is shape. Which is completely crazy since nobody wants lid shape with traditional flight, they want lid flight with better feel.

Not even sure what you're talking about. I throw the proxy which already is a lid flight with normal putter feel.

I said i want an overmolded lid. Dont get me twisted dawwwwg. Sonic like would be dope in some plasma plastic with a OM to add some stability in the HSS.

Does MVP make a really stiff plastic (like Fossil or Pinnacle)?

All I want is a disc that flies like a Polecat, feels similar to a Polecat but is in a really stiff plastic. If it has an overmold, I could dig that.

Signature AFTC edition needed. Throw the crosshairs on some chains and give it some super soft plasma treatment for catch...

Djqzx.gif

They've had firm Electron Ions for months and not released them yet, and you're still waiting on a lid? Good luck!