• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith love - post your stories

About 4 months ago I started to click with my form changes and decided to try out some old discs I had laying around. I only 1-step because of some lower back injuries I have.

I grabbed a 170 DX Wraith that wasn't quite right for me a few summers ago. This time it was perfect. I really like Pro and since Pro is more stable than DX I decided to try a 158 Pro Wraith (the lightest Infinite had). I've never had a disc that felt so 'lively' and 'snappy' before. It was strange to see it get up to speed so quickly and just start sailing.

Last Friday I was practicing at the course and was easily surpassing baskets I couldn't reach before. I decided to hit the Soccer field on the way to the parking lot. I thought it would be fun to throw through the goalposts. The first shot was short, as were all the others. My best shots were constantly 20-30' short. I was so disappointed in myself...not because I couldn't reach the magic '300' number, but because what I thought was improvement was actually a regression.

I thought about it and figured Soccer must be Metric so I got onto Google Maps and measured the field. It was 370' long. That's when I realized Soccer fields aren't 300', and I'm a moron who can throw 350'.

Long live the Wraith!

I carry a couple pros and a star. I put a dx Wraith in my bag for my last road trip in case of any sketchy water carries. Now I kind of like it and it's in and out quite a bit. Really straight flight with a dependable fade at the end at first, now I get a little turn out it on a good throw.

Plus they're like 8 bucks.

that was my problem i started to carry them as water discs and i found that i loved them

I almost threw the damn thing in a pond yesterday too.

How do Pro wraiths fly right out of the box? I carry a beat in EchoStar that I use for longer turn overs. A Champ for straight to slight fade. Will it fly like either of those?

How do Pro wraiths fly right out of the box? I carry a beat in EchoStar that I use for longer turn overs. A Champ for straight to slight fade. Will it fly like either of those?

Longer turnover sounds about right. I lose discs too often to beat them into flippy, so I like a Pro Wraith for the flippy distance slot to complement my Stars.

I've been bagging a low 170s flatter gummier pro wraith for flippier forehand distance shots and like it a lot. It was pretty true to numbers right out of the box, and now has picked up a little more high speed turn, and the fade has mellowed a bit (didn't fade a ton even when new).

Only issue I have with it, and it's more me than the disc...I like throwing it with a hair of hyzer and if I'm not clicking with my timing I have a tendency to wrist roll at the end of the hyzer release and it'll turn and burn. Flat releases with a beefier disc it doesn't tend to happen, I have the same issues when I need to thread the needle with a roadrunner on a hyzerflip and try to put too much on it.

On a good clean pull I can get it out over 400 on pretty much a straight hyzerflip laser beam.

I've been bagging a low 170s flatter gummier pro wraith for flippier forehand distance shots and like it a lot. It was pretty true to numbers right out of the box, and now has picked up a little more high speed turn, and the fade has mellowed a bit (didn't fade a ton even when new).

Only issue I have with it, and it's more me than the disc...I like throwing it with a hair of hyzer and if I'm not clicking with my timing I have a tendency to wrist roll at the end of the hyzer release and it'll turn and burn. Flat releases with a beefier disc it doesn't tend to happen, I have the same issues when I need to thread the needle with a roadrunner on a hyzerflip and try to put too much on it.

On a good clean pull I can get it out over 400 on pretty much a straight hyzerflip laser beam.

Awesome thanks for the response. I think I will pick one up and try it out. I love the wraith more and more every time I play

My 171g Star Wraith has beaten in sweetly and has a nice controllable turn. Looking for a fresh, heavy, OS complement to it, but stock is low at all my shops.

Anyone tried the Val Mandujano signature run? Curious if it's as OS as a typical Star.

(Or I might pay a premium for one of the Halos - I hear they're pretty beefy).

Just been playing with my MA 50 dubs partner for a couple months so he's figured out I like Wraiths. He dug thissun out of storage and gave it to me today. He likes Sidewinders, guess I need to give him the pfn champion that I don't throw.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_210220.jpg
    IMG_20200809_210220.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 106
Just been playing with my MA 50 dubs partner for a couple months so he's figured out I like Wraiths. He dug thissun out of storage and gave it to me today. He likes Sidewinders, guess I need to give him the pfn champion that I don't throw.

I have one of these on the way, what should i expect flightwise? I'm expecting the plastic to be money :)

I have one of these on the way, what should i expect flightwise? I'm expecting the plastic to be money :)

I can't say on the disc in that plastic but Echo Star I can tell about the plastic.
Gripwise the plastic is like bran new mega stiff Star one left in a car during summer for a week. From how it wears in, I have seen the Echo Star wear in the way that G-Star does, between Star and most Pro with the Pro plastic exception being very glossy sometimes stiff Pro being closer to the old Echo Star.

It really depends on wear and PLH but typically E* will be slightly more mellow than Star. Dudes on the "meaning of stable" thread have me paranoid to even use that word. Definitely slightly less durable and wears in a little quicker than Star. It's my favorite plastic but now Innova uses recycled plastic to make barf colored swirly to sell for a premium.

This one is 8+/10, has some dome and is somewhat OS. I've had a flat one for several years that's a flippy bomber.

yumm

Picked up a 163 gram G Star Wraith to add in with my 169 g star and 173 champ ones. First throws with it seem to make it more able to stay straight and/or flex with a good amount of spin on it than the other two, and it has that finish that makes Wraiths deadly accurate for me. I suspect it will make a Wonderful addition to my bag.

How was the flight on this? I carry a beat in E* and its my favorite disc in my bag. I throw it with a touch of hyzer and it flips up to flat and then just drifts to the right. Such a fun shot to throw.

How was the flight on this? I carry a beat in E* and its my favorite disc in my bag. I throw it with a touch of hyzer and it flips up to flat and then just drifts to the right. Such a fun shot to throw.

Pretty overstable to start for my 400' golf distance. I'm also more fond of hyzerflips so i reckon this disc will prove it's real worth once it's beaten in.

Pretty overstable to start for my 400' golf distance. I'm also more fond of hyzerflips so i reckon this disc will prove it's real worth once it's beaten in.

You are going to love it for that shot when it beats in. I am slowly switching over may bag to mostly DC but one mold that will never leave my bag is the Wraith. Oh and the RPro Dart

I've been pretty happy with the switch from Trespasses to Wraiths. The trespass is awesome, but just flies like a longer fairway driver, similar lines to the undertaker. So I wanted something with a little more bite at the end of flight, which the wraith offers. Makes it a little easier to gauge, I think.

I'm not happy about it, but I invested in a couple Halo Wraiths. I plan to throw one, and keep the other on the shelf and see what the future brings. Planning to just rock a few wraiths as my distance drivers.