• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith love - post your stories

Madison Walker Swirly Wraiths are pretty overstable relative to most wraiths. But the plastic on the discs is amazing. Grippy rubbery star. Definitely check them out!

Might try that. . the STAR in my Hannah Leatherman Leo3 is the best Star plastic i have found

I bet there's a range of stability in all the variants listed.

I do think with innova particularly that you are more likely to get a "choice" blend of plastic for a tour series disc.

I have avoided innova a bit over the last decade, its odd how much innova is in my bag...

Madison Walker Swirly Wraiths are pretty overstable relative to most wraiths. But the plastic on the discs is amazing. Grippy rubbery star. Definitely check them out!

I second this. My first, flattish one is starting to show some high speed turn and much more glide than new. This disc is totally worth paying the premium for IMO.

Looking at the lokal shops here in Sweden i can find:

Champ, Star, GStar, Champ Dyed, Star bottom stamp, MF Champ, Madison Star and Martin Hendel Color Glow Champ. .

Can anyone rank these ones in stability or is the Wraith similar no matter what plastic it´s in?

Lucky...

So Pro seems to be the most popular plastic for the Wraith, but is DX worth getting? I'll probably be throwing the Wraith mostly on wide open holes, so I'm not too worried about it getting beat up. I'm pretty new and just getting into regularly throwing in that 300-350' range and looking for something a little longer. I like my Teebird in DX. Also I'd be lying if I didn't say a lot of the reason for wanting the DX is the stamp, haha. But if DX is too flippy, I'll go with Pro.

There are some suuuuper sweet DX Wraiths out there... but I haven't seen any new ones for a while. I'm a huge DX fan but not usually for Wraiths.
If you can find a DX with the right shape, it will probably be the longest disc in your bag. Pro is easier to find the right shape, though.

There are some suuuuper sweet DX Wraiths out there... but I haven't seen any new ones for a while. I'm a huge DX fan but not usually for Wraiths.
If you can find a DX with the right shape, it will probably be the longest disc in your bag. Pro is easier to find the right shape, though.

When you say the right shape. What shape are you looking for.

I love the wraith. On average it goes probably 20-50 feet further than any other DD in my bag.

Got this jet-black bottom-stamp wraith in the mail.

X4OwSZP.jpg

When you say the right shape. What shape are you looking for.

Well it really depends on several factors. I'm expecting my Wraiths to go 400-450' so I'm looking for a relatively overstable one.

The short version is to look for domey and decently high PLH. Does that help?

So for me, the wraith was the first disc I bought that wasn't from the Innova starter pack. Naturally I didn't know what I was doing and it just immediately hyzer'd out. I accidentally stumbled upon an affinity for the spike hyzer… after getting said wraith stuck on the roof of the local elementary school.
Fast forward to a few months ago. I won an ebay auction for 3 disc for $16. I was only interested in 2, but the other was a champ color glow wraith, brand new, so I figured it would have some resale value to it. It ended up going in my bag because I had the space for it. One day I pulled it out for a tee shot over a lake ~360' with the RHFH being the best line. I have a really strong forehand and turned said wraith #2 into the lake (for those counting I'm not 0/2 with wraiths). The lake got drained for dock maintenance and a buddy of mine found it and returned it to me.
Fast forward again to last Friday. I played my first ever glow round. I don't like the idea of glow tape so I scrounged up a couple glow discs to play. Pins were all short so I played 1-17 with an Envy and MD2. We come up on #18 and the hole has trees lining the left, and the lake lining the right, 350' to the pin. I decided, "Ah, F**k it" and pulled the wraith out. I had never bothered to hit it with the UV light before, but it glowed beautifully. as I threw it I got to watch it flip up to flat and sail over the lake that was reflecting the light of the moon. It gently faded back, took one small skip and curled up under the basket. I'd consider that just about the perfect end to my first glow round (except obviously an ace, but I don't have one yet).

After watching the forehand fest that was the WACO coverage. I put my Champ Wraith back in the bag for some field throwing over at the 7x7 soccer field with my portable basket to work on forehand driver throws yesterday. That turned out to be a really good idea because that thing was being (mostly) deadly accurate for me as a forehand disc. If it wasn't flashing chains. Hitting the base. it was getting decent putt potential.
Rethinks bag now.

After watching the forehand fest that was the WACO coverage. I put my Champ Wraith back in the bag for some field throwing over at the 7x7 soccer field with my portable basket to work on forehand driver throws yesterday. That turned out to be a really good idea because that thing was being (mostly) deadly accurate for me as a forehand disc. If it wasn't flashing chains. Hitting the base. it was getting decent putt potential.
Rethinks bag now.

I keep my two wraiths (one lightweight 12x star and one max weight XXL super swirly star) in the bag even when I haven't been using them, because it always seems like when I pull them off the bench they just come through in those clutch situations.

have a hole that is l to r and little downhill action with some trees and the line is for rhfh

took my champ wraith out today and went for a rhfh skip and i had about 50ft of lateral movement and landed right under the basket

pretty fun to see

I love Wraiths.

I decided to take them out of the bag for this year to work on form etc. But as my first distance driver, my Star Wraith was the domey-est disc I've ever thrown. So consistent even after beating the crap out of it. I hit 351' as a max distance with it, and at that point I decided to work on form this year, and then plop all the wraiths back in my bag before the snow flies and see how far they fly then.

Wraiths are amazing /Rant

I appreciate the love that the Wraith has received from the Pros as it got me to try it. I am not giving up much distance, but my misthrows are not as bad and the control is definitely enhanced, I almost have one beat into sweet, so close.

What's the range of stability's out there these days? Is there a clear cut shift by plastic or more PLH driven?
I have an old I dyed champ that works some great lines FH and I'm thinking I should grab another one or two. But I've only had the one so I don't have any expertise with other plastics.
I was throwing it besides an s-line cd3 the other day and found the cd3 had less glide and less finish, I'm wondering if that's a function of wear, mold or plastic?

What's the range of stability's out there these days? Is there a clear cut shift by plastic or more PLH driven?
I have an old I dyed champ that works some great lines FH and I'm thinking I should grab another one or two. But I've only had the one so I don't have any expertise with other plastics.
I was throwing it besides an s-line cd3 the other day and found the cd3 had less glide and less finish, I'm wondering if that's a function of wear, mold or plastic?

I'd say it's mostly PLH driven. You can definitely beat a pro Wraith into pretty flippy in fairly short order though. There are some very flat, very high PLH champions out there that are meathooks too. You can find stars for something in between those two, especially if you dig around in some used bins.