• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith love - post your stories

I use a Star Wraith for my FH shots and they just bomb! I bag 2 Stars and for my FH game. One is a Pre Climo that's more on the US side, the other is a PFN, both compliment each other. Great for hitting all kinds of lines. I also bag a Pro that I only throw for BH bombs. I haven't really thrown a Wraith in Champ so I don't know much about their flight. Such a great Disc!

Hmm. I may have to try a pro and a star, see how they compare.
Are stars fairly consistent or do you see a huge variance disc to disc like destroyers

I find the Wraith pretty easy to throw with my noodle arm (280 avg drive w/Sidewinder). Gets about 20 feet further than my Sidewinder most of the time, and as long as I don't OAT the crap out of it, it finds the fairway okay. I don't know why it's easier to throw than something like the faster Destroyer or slower Beast for me, but it is. Not hard to keep the nose down, for one. Anybody know why that might be? Or is that more of an individual quirky thing?

I find the Wraith pretty easy to throw with my noodle arm (280 avg drive w/Sidewinder). Gets about 20 feet further than my Sidewinder most of the time, and as long as I don't OAT the crap out of it, it finds the fairway okay. I don't know why it's easier to throw than something like the faster Destroyer or slower Beast for me, but it is. Not hard to keep the nose down, for one. Anybody know why that might be? Or is that more of an individual quirky thing?

I have been loving the Star Wraith, it has a rounded notch that I think helps with nose angle sensitivity. And the wing does not have any deep concavity to really put on the breaks. It has good stability, but is not overwhelming HSS or LSS. I would think that working that sidewinder would help as Star Wraiths show just a little drift for me at 400 feet and only turn at 425.

If you want an amazing Wraith, get a halo. They seem to go farther, I can't understand why, but in two days I have had looks on long baskets that I have never had a look at before. I have yet to capitalize.

You see a huge variation from disc to disc, just like the Destroyer

I have several star and they vary like destroyers. I would say that of the 3 variables that seem to impact stability the most (PLH, wing concavity, dome) the ones I have had tend to have consistent wing concavity but do vary in PLH and dome. More dome and higher PLH generally being more over stable.

I think the width/depth of a destroyer wing being such a large chunk of plastic leads to more variability in runs, but wraiths definitely vary as well. I own 3 12x Climos all with different flights and a madison walker that is the most overstable of the bunch.

Personally, I love the box of chocolates you get with distance drivers and like that all 4 of my wraiths are worth bagging together along with PFN pro ones for turnovers.

I don't think anyone would argue with variations with all faster drivers. Where the Wraith has an advantage over the destroyer is the consistency of the variation. There are a few domey Wraiths floating around, but they seem very consistent with mild dome. There are a few flatter wings, but they are consistently slightly concave. The only variation I really worry about is the PLH which does vary slightly, but has a significant impact on the flight because the Wraith is slightly overstable. If the PLH is slightly high it pushes it into OS flight and a little low pushes it to Stable to US flight.

I find the Wraith pretty easy to throw with my noodle arm (280 avg drive w/Sidewinder). Gets about 20 feet further than my Sidewinder most of the time, and as long as I don't OAT the crap out of it, it finds the fairway okay..

This has been exactly me the past few days. I'm about 280' with my Star Sidewinder as well and for kicks, I grabbed a new DX Wraith I've had for over a year and saw about 25' extra.

I'm glad I gave it another try.

Another mold I have been throwing a lot that I haven't said much about. I only have one in my bag, but I love that thing. Flips up a lot easier than a destroyer does which makes it a really great woods driver. I use it for flip up forehands and backhands, tailwind drives, long turnovers, and even some rollers. I feel like I really was missing a lot of shots by not having a disc like this in my bag for a long time.

This has been exactly me the past few days. I'm about 280' with my Star Sidewinder as well and for kicks, I grabbed a new DX Wraith I've had for over a year and saw about 25' extra.

I'm glad I gave it another try.

Might I suggest a DX Teebird. Great driver for anyone who's at the 300' mark. Whatever extra distance the Wraith is getting you is offset by the Wraith being very hard to control.

I feel like the Wraith is pretty easy to control honestly. Very comfortable, gives me a lot of confidence

g9cJzQX.jpg

Haven't thrown a Wraith in awhile and found this Jeff Ash dye in my storage bins I have never thrown and let her rip this weekend.
Flys perfectly to flight numbers. Forgot how money Wraiths are.

g9cJzQX.jpg

Haven't thrown a Wraith in awhile and found this Jeff Ash dye in my storage bins I have never thrown and let her rip this weekend.
Flys perfectly to flight numbers. Forgot how money Wraiths are.

Your lack of appreciation for the Wraith in the past has made you unworthy of that fine specimen. I'll pm you my address and promise to throw it regularly.

I actually had one with that Supreme Flight stamp from several years ago and it was money. Sadly, it sleeps with the fishes now.

Might I suggest a DX Teebird. Great driver for anyone who's at the 300' mark. Whatever extra distance the Wraith is getting you is offset by the Wraith being very hard to control.

I have a beat dx teebird and it's the only disc I'm getting out to 350 with excellent accuracy. No big flex or anything, just slight hyzer and it flips up flat and glides for days. I was thinking about picking up a beat dx wraith, they have them by the dozens at my piag. What can I expect from a beat dx wraith?

PIAS had a new shipment in and now I have a lipstick red Star Wraith. It looks like its 166 grams. A few throws in, and I like it. Be interesting to compare and contrast it with the 173 champ one I have.

I have a beat dx teebird and it's the only disc I'm getting out to 350 with excellent accuracy. No big flex or anything, just slight hyzer and it flips up flat and glides for days. I was thinking about picking up a beat dx wraith, they have them by the dozens at my piag. What can I expect from a beat dx wraith?

I had a DX Wraith years ago; it didn't last long. Got too beat up very quickly. Between that and the DX Valkyrie I had that cracked on the first drive (hit a tree about 200 feet away off the tee) I gave up on any DX drivers faster than a Teebird. Though it would probably help if I got better at throwing and stopped hitting so many things.

I do like drivers in Pro plastic. Good for filling in spots where you don't have a seasoned premium plastic version of a particular mold. Also good on their own. I have had Pro Thunderbirds, Valkyries, Wraiths, and Destroyers. All were good flyers for a while.

I carry a couple pros and a star. I put a dx Wraith in my bag for my last road trip in case of any sketchy water carries. Now I kind of like it and it's in and out quite a bit. Really straight flight with a dependable fade at the end at first, now I get a little turn out it on a good throw.

Plus they're like 8 bucks.

Pulled off a tap in Eagle on a wooded 800' par 5 today, after two straight 400fters with the Wraith. Love the Wraith for straight shots