• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your FAVE Course Signage???

the ones in lafrinere are just a yellow circle w hole number.... at least we have em. i've played a few course where ya just had to kind of guess where the tee box was (fairhope)

My favorites are Maple Hill and Pyramids in Leicester, Massachusetts. Also with nice signage is Borderland State Park, and Sunrise DGC@ Mtn High North.

I have seen some fantastic signs, once that make me drool and really jealous. I personally love the ones with a digital photo insert on the sign that shows the same view you are getting from the tee.

However, what about cost? $100 a sign can really strain your little local club's budget. I did something fairly simple for a tee sign using an MS Paint drawing and MS Word for the other larger text. You simply print out the page, and laminate it and stick it to some piece of plastic or other board near the tee. You could also send the file to Kinkos or other place and have them print a full hard plastic sign for you. We figure our total cost is roughly $11 for a plastic backing board, metal U-post, hardware, laminating sleeve, and color copy.

The possibilities are endless, if I had even more time and wanted to act on my ambition, I could insert an actual photo on these signs, cut and paste better tree, grass, basket, rough, etc images into the Paint file. Or if I was a better artist or had better software, well you know. This is just a low $$ option available to anyone with a computer basically.

We sell "advertising rights" on these signs too for donations or work provided by adopting the hole and performing maintenance (Floyd sponsored hole 13 here). You can customize the tee sign with your own phrase or nickname. More images are available at the Winter Park Photo tab.

7ba08600.jpg

Youth Park in Pinellas park, Florida has the best signs I have ever seen. The sign is an actual picture of the hole from the tee pad with a graphic of the overhead view superimposed and semi-transparent overlaid on the picture with all the distances at the bottom corner. Never seen anything like it. They are sweet! I will see if I can get a picture of one of them posted.

Only problem is some moron wants to write his name real big right over the middle of these beautiful signs for aces. Better hope I don't see him doing that or figure out what his name is from his ridiculous scribbles.

Best Tee-Signs?

Our course is looking to install some new tee-signs. We have a committee trying to determine what tee-signs is best for us. I figure the best way to do this would be to have you guys upload a pic of your favorite tee-sign style. I have an idea of what my favorite is... I just want to see some variety.
Thanks for the help.
DSCJNKY

All teesigns get destroyed one way or another. If I ever put a park in the ground I would like to make the teesigns on rocks about the size of a 5 gallon bucket.

Hey Zenbot,
I like Casitas's signs... where did you guys get the frames?
DSCJNKY

check out john houck's signs, they're all over austin's courses, and they're really good. houckdesign.com

From the threads I've read about reviewing courses and what constitutes a great course, several people dismiss the importance of good signs. I must strongly disagree. From an objective point of view of an ardent casual player good signs are a hallmark of what should be considered a great course. If you are new to a course, you love the game, spent your hard earned money to treavel a distance to place at disc golf Mecca it could totally spoil your day wandering around aimlessly looking for the tees, the basket and the next tee. Whew!

That said, there are several signs here that are ideal. An accurate aerial representation with distances, fairways, significant obstacles, and direction of the next tee are essential. They should be a part of every great course. I am not a fan of the photographic image looking from the tee box. It's great for that first throw but then what? And what about heavily wooded long holes especially with a dog leg or two?

Of the courses few courses that I've played the only one that fits the bill is Emery Park. Unfortunately I do not have a pic.

Another nice touch and a hallmark of a 5 disc course would be a sign showing the course as a whole.

The pics billnchristy shows of Alexander Park is a perfect illustration of what I think is the best kind of signage.

I did try to use the "search" tool to find this thread first... but it didn't work. So I started a new one.
Thanks for helping me find it though.
DSCJNKY

I didn't mind the new thread, was just trying to help. It is cool though that EricJ merged the threads, and quickly. Those guys do such a great job with this site, especially in light of things like what was going on this morning on these forums. I for one am grateful to have access to such a great resource. I haven't done the "premium" thing yet, mainly because I'm broke. I will as soon as I can.

From the threads I've read about reviewing courses and what constitutes a great course, several people dismiss the importance of good signs. I must strongly disagree. From an objective point of view of an ardent casual player good signs are a hallmark of what should be considered a great course. If you are new to a course, you love the game, spent your hard earned money to treavel a distance to place at disc golf Mecca it could totally spoil your day wandering around aimlessly looking for the tees, the basket and the next tee. Whew!

That said, there are several signs here that are ideal. An accurate aerial representation with distances, fairways, significant obstacles, and direction of the next tee are essential. They should be a part of every great course. I am not a fan of the photographic image looking from the tee box. It's great for that first throw but then what? And what about heavily wooded long holes especially with a dog leg or two?

Of the courses few courses that I've played the only one that fits the bill is Emery Park. Unfortunately I do not have a pic.

Another nice touch and a hallmark of a 5 disc course would be a sign showing the course as a whole.

The pics billnchristy shows of Alexander Park is a perfect illustration of what I think is the best kind of signage.

I agree. I played at Renaissance Park for the first time a few weeks ago. I printed out a course map, and still had a hard time navigating the course. It took 10 minutes just to find the 1st tee, and had a ridiculously hard time finding my way around the back nine. There were really good signs for the first few holes, and then they disappeared. I think if I had printed out the thread on the Charlotte Club's forum about the changes at Renny, and had that with me too, I could have figured it out better. It was frustrating, on top of how challenging that course can be. It's cool that they have put that much work into a course, and it does not go unappreciated. I also feel like it will be a breeze (the navigation not the course) the next time.

I don't think signs have to be visually exacting as long as they capture the most important features of a hole....

Great posts!
Didn't read through the entire thread, but in addition to the stuff I see mentioned are that the signs should be bird-proofed so not used as pooping perches, they should be visually pleasing and visible to discers, but no so huge they can be seen from the moon, and they should be vandal-proofed as best as possible. I was surprised how many signs that were indicated as the greatest that were vandalized. Like this girl I know who used to be hot in high school... fond memorizes but it is what it is.

Greatest sign still a holy grail.

Latest posts