• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

13 Original Colonies Roadtrip

Upshawt1979

Bogey Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I live in South Carolina, and am planning a trip driving to Maine, and back with my dog. We are playing as many courses as possible in 12-14 days. I have never been north of DC in the region, and am wondering about traffic congestion, and how much I can expect google map travel times to be inflated. I plan on traveling North up the east coast, and back through western New York and Pennsylvania. I want to play all states, so which Rhode Island course shall I endure? I have an idea of the route, with dozens of courses mapped along or near this line. Any other practical advice?

Thanks All
Aaron

Attachments

• IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 66
I recommend also playing Moraine State Park if you are coming down I-79 as it is not far off the highway (approx. 10 min) and one of the best courses in the country. I like it better than Deer Lakes, though the general consensus is 50-50 between the two.

It looks like you are driving through Pittsburgh after playing Deer Lakes, that route gets really awful during rush hour time. Hopefully you can get through the area in the morning-early afternoon.

Good call on stopping at Morris Park!

Avoid rush hour in DC, Baltimore, Phila and NY. Take 287/Tappanzee Bridge around NYC and not thru NYC on 95/GW/$12 bridge. I'd skip Rhode Island. Be sure to play Warwick in NY. Got EZ Pass?

Ninigret in RI sucks donkey, but it looks like it's on your path, so may as well.

Borderland State Park in Easton, MA is pretty awesome...you wouldn't regret going to play there, and it should be right on the way to Maple Hill. Make sure you stop in at Marshall Street while you're at MH, as well.

Def hit up moraine/knob hill/deer lakes in Pittsburgh

They are 3 courses being played for pro world's next year

Moraine and knob are both pretty close to 79 for ease of access. Deer lakes is quite a bit away from 79

Edit: linbrook park is real close to knob as well and one of the best 9holers you will ever play

Why are going up eastern shore md instead of going through northern va? Much better courses in spotsy va area than eastern md. If you do this trip in the summer beware of beach traffic. DC area traffic sucks although it's not nearly a bad in august as the rest of the year. Rt 301 is a good alternate to 95 from spotsy va to north md.

Avoid rush hour in DC, Baltimore, Phila and NY. Take 287/Tappanzee Bridge around NYC and not thru NYC on 95/GW/$12 bridge. I'd skip Rhode Island. Be sure to play Warwick in NY. Got EZ Pass?

I second this. Wawick is 2 courses in one stop and easily in my top 10.

Warwick is an absolute must.

I also highly recommend Borderlands.

It would be a crime to drive all that way to play Smugglers Notch and not go a little further north to Black Falls. Also agree that Warwick and Joralemon are must plays.

Warwick like everyone else said is a must, Sabattus in Maine was worth the drive, then enjoy the mountain drive into New Hampshire. Ninigret in Rhode Island is underrated.

Warwick like everyone else said is a must, Sabattus in Maine was worth the drive, then enjoy the mountain drive into New Hampshire. Ninigret in Rhode Island is underrated.

You really think Ninigret is underrated? When I was there, it was all overgrown, poison sumac everywhere, heinous teepads, crapball navigation...just wondering what you feel is underrated about it?

I would throw in Jordan Creek in Whitehall, PA. While there you are getting close to Nokamixon (another good one).

then enjoy the mountain drive into New Hampshire.

Try to take the Kankcamagus Highway through the White Mountains on your way through, it's a beautiful drive.

You really think Ninigret is underrated? When I was there, it was all overgrown, poison sumac everywhere, heinous teepads, crapball navigation...just wondering what you feel is underrated about it?

It could just be timing. In the early spring or late fall certainly the growth isn't as bad. Although, underrated is definitely not the right word for Ninigret. Even the local Rhode Islanders aren't very high on it. They'd rather go play in MA.

Another note for NH. There is a new course being installed in Manchester. It was designed by Eric McCabe and will feature two tees and two pins for every hole. I'm not sure when your trip will be, but the plan, I believe, is to have the course open in the next month or so.

I'd modify the northern VA/MD trip to something more like one of these options:

What are you hitting in Rochester? I see parma address in there which is a must. If camping overnight check out shore winds as well.

I was there at the end of May, was not overgrown and had no problem finding where the next tee was. Heinous teepads? While not all the same I didn't mind, better than all dirt like Leonard park in NY. I'd play Ninigret in the rain or just after, Leonard wouldn't think about it. Now if I had the courses within a short distance that the locals do, I'd probably over look this course to, except during the week for a league night if it was close to home. And a 2.2 rating? 3.5 is more like it. Signs, baskets, decent scenery, short holes, longer holes, and it's like no other out there. I compare it to Iroquois park here in Louisville, it's a nice course just not as challenging as those near it, it's a feel good course unless your having a bad day.

Nockamixon is another Id look at
I'm assuming Nocky is the red dot just SE of the Jordan Creek dot. If not, then it sure should be on the trip as well as Warwick.

Greystone Woods in Morristown, NJ is right on the way, great new course.