• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2011 Ace Race Putter

I'd say about 100ft at ours. A couple up and down hill and a couple hyzer and anny line.

Practice with a Mako, if you have, to for the line and a Challenger for the feel.

Last edited:
The ace race disc are OK..NOT something to keep in the bag. I played in the Pieradise dgc ace race. I think 140 people was there. I hit 1 ace with ESP about 150-175ft and 2 metal hits with ESP

Played in my Ace Race today. I will start off by admitting that I am indeed a novice but I think I can give a semi-valid opinion. I am fully aware of my form issues and have struggled and do struggle with off-axis-torque. Though I am aware I am not fully equipped to fix my problems.
I will start of by saying from the very beginning this disc felt too big for my hand. I made my self very comfortable throwing approach shots in the week before the competition but still my first throws felt very out-of-the-ordinary. After some adjusting to my grip and form I was able to start throwing the disc fairly straight. In my opinion it was very controllable (given it was thrown correctly). I was able to get great control out of it and did best in my group with no aces and two metal hits. I found the disc to be versatile and accurate. In the long run I don't think it will be replacing my Aviar for putts or approach but still an excellent disc. Glad to have it and glad to have competed in such an awesome event.

I kinda agree with some people on both sides of this discussion. It flew dead straight as advertized, but man was it a brick in the weight department. Really felt like you had to muscle it out there.

I could get it to turn over (sometimes on purpose, sometimes not) with a little torque, but it seemed to just die. Really height sensitive for the long, straight runs, as others have mentioned. I really had the best luck with it when I just tried to get a subtle hyzer line and smooth release.

Pro D was sooooooooooooooft and gouged easily, while the ESP seemed to hold up pretty well. I even thumbed it on one hole with no ill effects.

My beef was the grip; it just felt odd. I couldn't get a consistent release when I wanted distance and just didn't like the feel of the disc in my hand. Just wasn't comfortable.

The near consensus in the race yesterday was that it was a decent approach disc in the ESP, but I also heard "brick" and "cinder block" used throughout the tourney as well. I don't see it in my bag going forward, mainly due to the weight and feel issues.

It flew dead straight as advertized, but man was it a brick in the weight department. Really felt like you had to muscle it out there.
Wasn't that sorta the point of the whole thing? Large diameter putter that they can make in heavier weights?

But anyway, I definitely had fun at the Ace Race. My favorite moments were those when we approached some of the longer (250') holes and everyone was going "This thing turns and burns on a 100' hole, how the hell am I going to get it over there?" and then just throwing a laser beam at the basket. (I missed by a few inches. =P )

Really liked the disc, really felt like a slow Comet. On very short throws where you couldn't get any speed or spin on it it did indeed lack glide, but anything above that was nice. Still, would like to try it in weights around 170. If I threw Discraft this would go in the bag.

the few pro-d ones i had picked up on here were all heavy. when i played in my local ace race yesterday i got a 170-172 and like it versus the heavy ones. i found that throwing them with a stack fan grip gave me a lot more control.

I'm surprised by some of the comments on this disc. People compare it to a slower Comet, say that it does what you tell it, say that it's straight etc. etc. Then everybody says it has no place in their bag?

I signed up for an Ace Race in a few weeks this disc sounds like it'd be right up my Comet/APX/Rattler-lovin alley! I mostly only use a Rattler on one or two courses, and then only on severe downhill long putts/short approaches, BUT I've made several nice long birdie's that scare and can really punish aggressive misses. I would love something in ESP that compares to the Rattler.

Are there pics of it anywhere showing the disc in comparison to others?

It is a finess disc, it is smooth and consistent. I had my ace race yesterday and today I was throwning it about 250' on whatever lone I gave it. If you snap it at all it is gone. I think it will have a place int bag, also it makes a good roller. I was rolling as far if not further than I was throwing it.

Talk to me about weights on these things! How do the heavier ones fly vs. lighter ones? What weight do you prefer etc.
The ESP one was only offered at 181g at my Ace Race... The Pro D varies... I got mine at 175. I preferred the ESP one I had. It flies a bit more straight for me.

We had a couple 171s and a couple 175ish in Pro D but the vast majority were 177-181 as were all the ESPs. All the Pro D ones were pretty flat on top, i.e. challenger shaped and were all light tealish blue with Blue or Green stamps. The ESP were 80-85% yellow and 15-20% Orange. The Yellows were mostly a very muted color and those were flat as were the orange ones. There were 5 or so yellows that were much brighter, slicker feeling and much more domey looking. The only guy I saw with one of those seemed to have a much harder time with it and he used the Pro D. I really disliked the feel of that one and the dome was pretty odd looking.

At the Ace Race I went to, I could only find 179+ weights for either disc. I ended up grabbing a White ESP for dyeing(think it was 179) that I didn't throw. I used the yellow Pro D(181grams) and I liked it. It is super soft though. It beat in really fast and became pretty understable after maybe 10 throws with it. I like the grippy feel of the blend, but hate how soft it is. The event was 2 rounds of 42 holes, so my disc got beat to ****. It does have a place in my bag though. It is great for 300ft hyzer flips, rollers, and dog-leg rights. OH yeah, Discraft did some weird blending of the plastics, so my Pro D took some dye.
110919_212534.jpg

Of course in true Discraft fashion, they hotstamped it about 1/8inch deep.

We had 30 packages, the lightest Pro D we had was 177g and the lightest ESP we had was 179g. Over 1/2 of the discs were 180g. We had nothing I would have called "light."

Not a big deal since it was advertised as a heavy, large-diameter putter. We got what they said they were sending. There were just no light ones to make a comparison to.

Latest posts