• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2012 Worlds Completely Filled!

DGRZ001

Eagle Member
CRUD! CRUD,CRUD,CRUD!!!!!!

From the registration page,

4/30/12 9:00pm EST Note: All divisions are now running a WAITLIST

I was going to wait until 11:01 CST to sign up, but since I saw that it didn't matter, I went ahead and signed up. I did not have an invitation, obviously.

The fact that that this has never happened before does not bother me, there were 72 spots available for Pro Grandmaster. But I will be Severely PO'd if there are spots taken up in this division by Am Grandmasters who did not get in their division. Now, on May 1st, it's up for grabs, but before then, only Pros should get to sign up for their division.

I already have to pay more than an Am to renew, and I see no tangible benefits for that extra $20. I want to write more, but I better not. Leave it to say that I will be scrutinizing the MPG signup list tomorrow to see what Ams are on it, and then taking it from there.

Last edited:
Will there be a separate link on the registration page for the May 1st 12:01 open land run? Or are we expected to use the normal registration link and just wait till after midnight?

Worlde Order form for Ams said:
4/30/12 9:00pm EST Note: Heading into 'Open Registration', there are a handful of spots left in the Mens MJ2, MJ3 & MJ4 divisions and Womens FM1, FG1, FS1, FJ1, FJ2, FJ3 & FJ4 divisions. All remaining spots will be FILLED FROM THE WAITLIST in the order received. All other divisions are already running a WAITLIST.

I signed my daughter (uninvited) at 12:01 as has been advertised. I assume anyone (uninvited) signing up before 12:01 will not be given these spots. If the rules were changed at 9pm (3 hours before the posted time) I will not be pleased.

From the registration page,

4/30/12 9:00pm EST Note: All divisions are now running a WAITLIST

I was going to wait until 11:01 CST to sign up, but since I saw that it didn't matter, I went ahead and signed up. I did not have an invitation, obviously.

The fact that that this has never happened before does not bother me, there were 72 spots available for Pro Grandmaster. But I will be Severely PO'd if there are spots taken up in this division by Am Grandmasters who did not get in their division. Now, on May 1st, it's up for grabs, but before then, only Pros should get to sign up for their division.

I already have to pay more than an Am to renew, and I see no tangible benefits for that extra $20. I want to write more, but I better not. Leave it to say that I will be scrutinizing the MPG signup list tomorrow to see what Ams are on it, and then taking it from there.

This entire statement is ridiculous. The division you play in is not "Pro" Grandmaster. It is Open Grandmaster as in Open to anyone who wants to play in it over a certain age.

Since I play in the Open division and I knew that I wanted to play in this worlds, I made sure that I played in enough events last year to get an invite. You seem pretty upset that you might miss out and to be honest that is just poor planning on your part.

After you scrutinize the MPG signup list to see what Ams are on it what exactly are you going to do? Post about it on DGCR? Write a strongly worded letter? Not renew your membership? Stomp your foot and yell "it's not fair"?

All these people bitching and all I have to say is, if you got an invite, you should have not waited to sign up, we did it day 1, there was plenty of time. And if you didn't get an invite, you should have played enough events to get points to get an invite, not like its real hard. You bitch about 5 man cards, paying 20 more to be a member, and now it's I didn't get I to worlds. Man I can't wait to see what's next

All these people bitching and all I have to say is, if you got an invite, you should have not waited to sign up, we did it day 1, there was plenty of time. And if you didn't get an invite, you should have played enough events to get points to get an invite, not like its real hard. You bitch about 5 man cards, paying 20 more to be a member, and now it's I didn't get I to worlds. Man I can't wait to see what's next

If your in, why are you so butt hurt?

My division is MPG, which stands for Male Pro Grandmaster, not MOG, which would stand for Male Open Grandmaster. There is only one true Open division; the rest are exclusionary to some degree.

And the world championships is different, IMO. During the year, if an AM wants to play in a Pro division, go ahead. But if an invitation is offered to the World Championships based on the points earned from playing AM division, then the invitee should not be able to sign up for a Pro division before the May 1st free for all.

And don't judge me. Maybe because of my life situation I could not play in enough events to earn an invitation. Poor planning indeed, yeah it sure was poor planning on my part to have a special needs child. Thanks.

If your in, why are you so butt hurt?

I don't know why you say I'm butt hurt, I laugh at all the crying grown adults do when they don't get thier way

But I will be Severely PO'd if there are spots taken up in this division by Am Grandmasters who did not get in their division. Now, on May 1st, it's up for grabs, but before then, only Pros should get to sign up for their division.

All uninvited players - whether pro or am - had to wait until 12:01am to register. If an Am GM gets a spot ahead of you in the Pro GM division, it is only because they hit the "submit" button faster than you.

I thought to get a Pro GM invite you only had to have 50 points and be able to pass the "mirror test"?

It would be cool if this was the start of a trend of World's filling. If this was normal and World's always filled during the invite period, Bill would have known when he wasn't able to play many events last year that he probably wouldn't be able to play in World's this year. If this was normal, maybe there would have been a discussion about it at some point and there would be some spots held for the really long-haul guys like Bill.

As it is, this has never happened before and everything is kinda "on the fly." I can see how it would be disappointing to Bill thinking that there would be some spots open. There always has been in the past. The reality changed pretty quickly there.

So it's good that it filled so early. That's cool. It sucks that people are going to be left out. There is no good in-between.

During the year, if an AM wants to play in a Pro division, go ahead. But if an invitation is offered to the World Championships based on the points earned from playing AM division, then the invitee should not be able to sign up for a Pro division before the May 1st free for all.

The people that get to decide what SHOULD be true are those in charge. They decided it a long time ago and the rules were the same for everyone. AMs play up and donate in worlds every year.

If you want to start a petition to change the selection process for the future, I'll sign on, but complaining about the current one at the last minute when nothing has changed is pointless.

But if an invitation is offered to the World Championships based on the points earned from playing AM division, then the invitee should not be able to sign up for a Pro division before the May 1st free for all.

If the Pro GM division was full before open sign up, it filled with invited pros. No Ams were invited nor allowed to sign up for Pro Worlds until after 12:01am May 1st.

If the Pro GM division was full before open sign up, it filled with invited pros. No Ams were invited nor allowed to sign up for Pro Worlds until after 12:01am May 1st.

Not according to the Worlds thread on the PDGA forum:
cgkdisc said:
An invite to Worlds isn't specific to any division Am or Pro but simply to enter a division you qualify for by age and gender even if you never played in that division in the previous year. For example, a player who turns 40 in 2012 couldn't play Master in 2011 to get an invite to play Master at 2012 Worlds because they were too young.
--http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1467144&postcount=133

Just scrolling through MPM for example you can see at least four AMs that registered prior to May 1:
http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/33179
http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/42101
http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/62523
http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/52892

One of the things that bothered me is that the PDGA didn't announce the lowered requirements for entry until late in the year (or was it after January this year?). 1000 points in most divisions isn't necessarily too hard to get if you plan right but 500 is really pretty easy. 50 points is a no-brainer.

Either way no one can complain about not getting to play. Everyone had fair opportunity to qualify and register. Some didn't bother to qualify for an invite and some didn't bother to register in a timely manner even though they earned an invite. That's noone's problem but their own.

Nobody cares about age protected divisions anyways. Mods should delete this thread ASAP.

Name the last few Grandmaster World Champions without looking it up.

......Yup, thought so....

Latest posts