• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2012 Worlds Completely Filled!

Wrong. Pro Grandmasters is correct.

The Open division is so called because it is open to everyone. Pro Grandmasters is closed to players below the age of 50 (or at least born after 1962), so it not "open" to everyone.

Yes, there is a misnomer with Open Women (should be Pro Women), which I argued for years (since the division is closed to men), but that usage has unfortunately become commonplace.

BTW, the codes for the divisions (MPO, FPO, etc....) were created many years later than the divisions themselves, and initially as a way to put scores and entry lists on websites without having to type out the full name of the division.

Your history lesson for the day.

One of my pet peeves - Open should the division open to anyone. No other division is open.

Well said John.

Wrong. Pro Grandmasters is correct.

The Open division is so called because it is open to everyone. Pro Grandmasters is closed to players below the age of 50 (or at least born after 1962), so it not "open" to everyone.

Yes, there is a misnomer with Open Women (should be Pro Women), which I argued for years (since the division is closed to men), but that usage has unfortunately become commonplace.

BTW, the codes for the divisions (MPO, FPO, etc....) were created many years later than the divisions themselves, and initially as a way to put scores and entry lists on websites without having to type out the full name of the division.

Your history lesson for the day.

So just to be clear, you are disagreeing with me when I said they are "open" to anyone over a certain age?

Do you have to be a "Pro" to play in them? Because I don't think that is the case.

There is no such thing as a pro in disc golf. There are no requirements and no qualifying school. That is, no requirements other than being willing to gamble your entry fee.

There is no such thing as a pro in disc golf. There are no requirements and no qualifying school. That is, no requirements other than being willing to gamble your entry fee.

Being a pro relates to earning money. Some people are at least earning enough to keep them touring for the year. How liberal you want to be with the term is your decision, but there is certainly pro disc golfers.

Being a pro relates to earning money. Some people are at least earning enough to keep them touring for the year. How liberal you want to be with the term is your decision, but there is certainly pro disc golfers.

Pros were first discovered by the Germans in 1904. They called them pros, which of course in German means a whale's vagina. I hear your point but I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree.

Oh, thats why people call me a "giant pro", when I throw a thumber on #18 Nevin off the tee.

I'll caddy for you, you can even pat my hair for good luck. It's a guaranteed victory.

Stan, are you gonna caddy for me at worlds this year? I can hear you now... "oh no, not the condor again."

That is one reason that I would not caddy for you. Condor schmondor. It is a great catch disc but you don't know how to throw it. Roc it baby.

Stan,

I remember first meeting you at the South Bend Worlds in 96, which I believe you won in Masters. I can't image what it is like not to play on your home courses for a worlds when you have the talent to compete (I would not have that issue if we had a Worlds in DFW). I salute you and look forward to seeing you again.

Stan,

I remember first meeting you at the South Bend Worlds in 96, which I believe you won in Masters. I can't image what it is like not to play on your home courses for a worlds when you have the talent to compete (I would not have that issue if we had a Worlds in DFW). I salute you and look forward to seeing you again.

Thanks for the kind words. It is difficult to express my sentiment on this subject without sounding like I am whining or playing the martyr, but I will try. These last 4 years of course building and the stresses it has put on many of my fun disc golf relationships and on my body haven't left me in a state of mind and body that is conducive to competition. So, I simply don't have a desire to compete right now. I want to let some time pass after July and play more casual rounds with my friends. I probably will play more events in the future. I figure that I will be working on course projects right up to the first 2 minute warning. Then its fishin' time. :)

Stan,

I understand how being a "doer" in the DG world can put stresses on DG relationships, as well as taking practice time away. On the bright side, you won't be paying $30-40 per round to play courses that you can play free any other time! If you don't have anything better to do (!), come to the players' meeting, and come see old friends.

if making money = pro disc golfer, then we have about 15pros in the WORLD.

Back in the 70's when you signed up for the PDGA, it was either MEN or WOMEN.

And I haven't read the rest of this thread, but someone said Paul is a bagger.....I am guessing you mean Paul Priest.