• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2012 Worlds Completely Filled!

Name the last few Grandmaster World Champions without looking it up.

......Yup, thought so....

This proves nothing. That people know who wins or who they are, I agree - I sure can't name them. That people want to discuss this year's Worlds situation of everything filling up early and the pros and cons of how to work to balance out Ams playing Am and Pros playing Pro in age-specific divisions, etc... People are reading and commenting on this thread, so I guess people are interested in playing in and discussing age-specific divisions at Worlds. Just because it's not important to you, doesn't mean it's not important to somebody.

CRUD! CRUD,CRUD,CRUD!!!!!!

From the registration page,

4/30/12 9:00pm EST Note: All divisions are now running a WAITLIST

I was going to wait until 11:01 CST to sign up, but since I saw that it didn't matter, I went ahead and signed up. I did not have an invitation, obviously.

The fact that that this has never happened before does not bother me, there were 72 spots available for Pro Grandmaster. But I will be Severely PO'd if there are spots taken up in this division by Am Grandmasters who did not get in their division. Now, on May 1st, it's up for grabs, but before then, only Pros should get to sign up for their division.

I already have to pay more than an Am to renew, and I see no tangible benefits for that extra $20. I want to write more, but I better not. Leave it to say that I will be scrutinizing the MPG signup list tomorrow to see what Ams are on it, and then taking it from there.

Now that we have more information, I am thinking something is not quite right here. It states clearly on the schedule (V1.5a) that there is room for 72 Pro Grandmasters. The current online registration list shows only 59 currently registered.

How could the PDGA announce that the division was full on Monday night before 12:01am, when there still appears to be at least 16 spots still remaining?

I also don't get how an invite to Am Worlds translates to a Pro Worlds invite unless the player has taken cash and has no choice. Last year, when Worlds was not combined, a player needed an invite to Pro Worlds to register before May 1. Ams that got an Am Worlds invite had to wait until May 1. I don't see how this process would change this year just because Am & Pro Worlds are in the same city.

If all divisions were full on Monday Night, the PDGA should be able to show the 16 players that got those MPG division spots. If the PDGA decided to change the pool size, they should update the schedule.

Again, something seems not quite right here.

I'm so glad this happened! For years, I'm tired of the laziness involved by players with signing up for events. The more events fill, the quicker people sign up, the easier it makes it for me as a TD.

Now that we have more information, I am thinking something is not quite right here. It states clearly on the schedule (V1.5a) that there is room for 72 Pro Grandmasters. The current online registration list shows only 59 currently registered.

How could the PDGA announce that the division was full on Monday night before 12:01am, when there still appears to be at least 16 spots still remaining?

I also don't get how an invite to Am Worlds translates to a Pro Worlds invite unless the player has taken cash and has no choice. Last year, when Worlds was not combined, a player needed an invite to Pro Worlds to register before May 1. Ams that got an Am Worlds invite had to wait until May 1. I don't see how this process would change this year just because Am & Pro Worlds are in the same city.

If all divisions were full on Monday Night, the PDGA should be able to show the 16 players that got those MPG division spots. If the PDGA decided to change the pool size, they should update the schedule.

Again, something seems not quite right here.

Well said.

If you want to play, get invited...

exactly. I don't think non invitees should be allowed to play at all. I think the world championships should have to be qualified into...make the legitamacy of this tournament greater...although that wouldve hurt tournaments in years past...

exactly. I don't think non invitees should be allowed to play at all. I think the world championships should have to be qualified into...make the legitamacy of this tournament greater...although that wouldve hurt tournaments in years past...

This may be the best option if Wolrds in the next few years continue to fill to capacity. Get an invite or GTFO just like making the cut in ball golf tourneys.

I think it may be Friday before the dust settles and we'll see the updated registration list and waitlist. The PDGA and Breiner are sorting thru the registrations and making sure only invitees and qualifiers are on the confirmed reg list. In the mean time Andrew is also processing all of the TD reports by Friday to pass the baton for Roger and me to start processing the next ratings update.

...And the world championships is different, IMO. During the year, if an AM wants to play in a Pro division, go ahead. But if an invitation is offered to the World Championships based on the points earned from playing AM division, then the invitee should not be able to sign up for a Pro division before the May 1st free for all.

And I think I agree with one of his main assertions here, especially since there is an invitation period, followed by a first come, first served period.

Not just for MPG, but for any division, you should have to earn the required number of points in the division you qualify for or higher during the previous year. That would make allowance for the player who can't get his/her division in some tournaments due to low turnout, but prevent players from earning points in a lower division (say MA3), getting an invite to Worlds, then registering during the invite period for a higher division (say MA1). They should have to have earned enough points in MA1 or higher to register for MA1. And the same should apply to all divisions, kinda like what Bill stated.

You could sign up for anything you like (and qualify for) during the first come, first served period, but you should not be allowed to "play up" a division in which you did not earn those points. Does that make sense?

I think it may be Friday before the dust settles and we'll see the updated registration list and waitlist. The PDGA and Breiner are sorting thru the registrations and making sure only invitees and qualifiers are on the confirmed reg list.

For those with a technical background, this phenomenon is called "Breiner Lag" -- the time between using your computer to register and using your computer to see that you've registered.

What's cool is right now there are 1034 players registered (681 Am, 353 Pro) for those 1008 slots. Of these, 13 (all Pro) are not current or have not passed the officials exam. No wonder it'll take a few days to untangle the mess.

And I think I agree with one of his main assertions here, especially since there is an invitation period, followed by a first come, first served period.

Not just for MPG, but for any division, you should have to earn the required number of points in the division you qualify for or higher during the previous year. That would make allowance for the player who can't get his/her division in some tournaments due to low turnout, but prevent players from earning points in a lower division (say MA3), getting an invite to Worlds, then registering during the invite period for a higher division (say MA1). They should have to have earned enough points in MA1 or higher to register for MA1. And the same should apply to all divisions, kinda like what Bill stated.

You could sign up for anything you like (and qualify for) during the first come, first served period, but you should not be allowed to "play up" a division in which you did not earn those points. Does that make sense?

Doesn't work as well for age-protected divisions. For one thing, there'd be a 1-year lag; newly-eligible Masters for this year were ineligible in local tournaments last year. The allowance for the players for players who can't get in their divisions in some tournaments due to low payouts would open a whole new can of worms; imagine trying to word it and enforce it.

a friend of mine on the waitlist got a call today for a spot in MPM so there are some spots opened up...

Doesn't work as well for age-protected divisions. For one thing, there'd be a 1-year lag; newly-eligible Masters for this year were ineligible in local tournaments last year. The allowance for the players for players who can't get in their divisions in some tournaments due to low payouts would open a whole new can of worms; imagine trying to word it and enforce it.

David:

I moved my response to another thread here>>>

I just got a call that let me know that I am off the wait list and in as a MPG. There must be some shuffling going on.

This entire statement is ridiculous. The division you play in is not "Pro" Grandmaster. It is Open Grandmaster as in Open to anyone who wants to play in it over a certain age.

Wrong. Pro Grandmasters is correct.

The Open division is so called because it is open to everyone. Pro Grandmasters is closed to players below the age of 50 (or at least born after 1962), so it not "open" to everyone.

Yes, there is a misnomer with Open Women (should be Pro Women), which I argued for years (since the division is closed to men), but that usage has unfortunately become commonplace.

BTW, the codes for the divisions (MPO, FPO, etc....) were created many years later than the divisions themselves, and initially as a way to put scores and entry lists on websites without having to type out the full name of the division.

Your history lesson for the day.

Latest posts