• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2012 Worlds Completely Filled!

Next in line in Advanced. Congrats to you...

Boohoo to me. Doctor has sidelined me after the MRI results. No golf for me until August... I'll drop out on Monday... I hope my spot goes to a DGCR'er.

Stan, Chuck, or someone else in the know ... would you be able to describe the course selection, scheduling, and flight determination process for the Advanced division. Mostly curious why we are playing two rounds at RL Smith with tee times, when based on the course information posted this morning by the PDGA, it appears that Elon Angry Beaver is the harder and longer course. Wouldn't two rounds on Elon be more appropriate, or was it another "round completion time duration" issue.

Coming from CT and having never played any of these courses, I can't really speak to their individual difficulty, but I am interested in hearing how the selection process was done.

Thanks!

PS: Finally got to see my name on the pre-reg list yesterday, and I feel much better now that I am confirmed.

Each am division plays one course twice. RL more isolated location and the fact it was a course where tee times made more sense due to limited access for shotgun were part of it. Being able to take over RL for Advanced seemed to make sense. With Advanced being the largest division, one course was going to end up being Advanced only. In this case it's also newer and a little more rugged where younger legs could handle getting around.

Angry is longer. Some/most would say it's also "harder". I think RL is probably a tougher walk (as Chuck mentioned). I think RL is "better", even though I like Angry a lot. I think ADV made out really well having RL and Angry and Winget. Great variety. Really solid courses.

RL Smith #1: "Re-tee and penalty stroke if mando is missed.".

I wonder what you do if you miss the mando on your 3rd shot.

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/RL_Smith_Rules_.pdf
http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/RL_Smith_Map.pdf

Fixed. I would guess that you keep re-teeing for as long as it takes. I played this course in a tourney this weekend. The Mando is about 40 feet left of the fairway window at which you are aiming, about 150-175 feet away. The Mando wasn't created to add strokes, but for safety. Throwing out to the left could end up on or over the #2 fairway.

No one will miss the mando, no one. It is just there to dissuade people from taking a cheater route around to the left. If you miss that Mando twice, you shouldnt be playing in Worlds. Bill said no one missed the Mando on 9 either all weekend. Again... it is just there to stop people from attempting the cheater route you have almost no chance of missing it on the drive.

No, Ken, I meant 2nd, not 3rd. As in: Your tee shot doesn't make it to the mando. Your 2nd shot misses the mando.

I'm just saying it's POSSIBLE, and the ground rules don't address it.

Winget #13: "Must cross far side of creek, if not crossed, Re-tee with one stroke penalty."

I wonder what you do if your shot (tee shot or otherwise) hits something across the creek and then rolls back into the creek?

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/Winget_Plantation_Ruins_Rules_.pdf
http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/Winget_Plantation_Ruins_Map.pdf

Played this one last weekend at a tourney, but they had a drop zone at the bottom of the steps going up from the creek. Since your disc can't officially be marked until it comes to rest, I guess you would re-tee. I don't know that it's an OB situation, where you could mark from the last place you were in. It's more like a Mando creek? That's a good question, though.

It will play like any island hole. Web 18 for example. Doesnt matter if you touch in bounds.
Dont know why you wouldnt take optional re-throw even if Rodneys question were true... Playing from a level teepad back 30' seems better than 1 meter from the creek on an upslope... but whatever.

No, Ken, I meant 2nd, not 3rd. As in: Your tee shot doesn't make it to the mando. Your 2nd shot misses the mando.

Gotcha. My bad. :eek:

To re-iterate what Mark wrote, the Mando is nearly impossible to miss. With the relative quality of MA1 players, you'd have to be a lefty that griplocks the crap out of your drive and it buries right into the ground on the left, or a righty and the disc completely slips out early because of how sweaty you are (beware the humidity!). I hope it's not an issue.

Since the ground rules don't specifically define the creek as "OB", the player is left to wonder what exactly the special rules are, and when they apply. There's no definition of "island hole" in the rules, right? (Not that that terminology is used on the ground rules, either.)

I'm just saying it's POSSIBLE, and the ground rules don't address it.

The Mando is beyond the left hand side of this photo. The trees to the right of the white center tree have also been cleared; you can go inside or outside. And actually, looking at this photo and the tree locations, I am inclined to say that it's not taken from the established tee pad. There is way more room on the right of that tree than this photo suggests.

63e4f82b.jpg

Last edited:
if my left elbow doesnt get any better in the next 3 weeks looks like i will be driving RHBH, something i havent done much of since it got tore up and i had to switch to LHBH...