• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Minnesota Majestic

Cale was pretty untouchable this weekend. I've got scorecards from the lead group for Kaposia and Hyland if anyones interested.

This was my first Majestic (first year playing tournies) I played like hell, no surprise I didn't expect to win, I am just grinding points to qualify for worlds.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the players pack. 1 Super color disc, a dri-fit shirt, a pint glass and a couple granola bars seems really cheap. Compared to 5 discs and a shirt at BG Ams, and the players pack from the Glass Blown open (both large A tiers) I really feel like more should have been offered.
I had fun, I'm glad I played, but I don't know if I'll play again next year as it really felt like I didn't get much for my money compared to other tournaments.

This was my first Majestic (first year playing tournies) I played like hell, no surprise I didn't expect to win, I am just grinding points to qualify for worlds.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the players pack. 1 Super color disc, a dri-fit shirt, a pint glass and a couple granola bars seems really cheap. Compared to 5 discs and a shirt at BG Ams, and the players pack from the Glass Blown open (both large A tiers) I really feel like more should have been offered.
I had fun, I'm glad I played, but I don't know if I'll play again next year as it really felt like I didn't get much for my money compared to other tournaments.

What was the payout in comparison?

And that player pack exceeds the minimum for an A tier.

What was the payout in comparison?

And that player pack exceeds the minimum for an A tier.

Not sure of the payout cause I don't expect to get there. I know my buddy finished like 26th out of 93 and got $59 in funny money. SO maybe they went deep with payouts instead. Thats fine and it's a valid way to run a tournament (and I'm not complaining that they didn't follow guidelines or anything) but for a player who doesn't really expect to make it into the payouts, a bigger players pack makes me far more inclined to play again the next year.

Glass Blown Open only payed down 20%. Looked like the Majestic was pretty close to 45% for the advanced field.

That's the 2 tournament philosophies you see most right now. Pay deep and smaller players pack, or pay shallow and huge players pack. Different people prefer different ways of doing it.

Yeah only 95% of your money back in merchandise. What cheap bastards?:wall:

Yeah only 95% of your money back in merchandise. What cheap bastards?:wall:

Wherever you shop that a supercolor buzz and a drifit T shirt cost $60 you are getting ripped off, the granola bars are 6 to a box for like $2 and the pint glass retails for about $5.

As a bad player I would much rather play with a large players pack and a shallow payout schedule. I understand the different philosophy, and am voicing what I would prefer as a player.

I think I've read this thread before

I paid my entry fee so I could get stuff
VS
I paid my entry fee so I could play competitive disc golf at 3 awesome courses​

That players pack is a good one. Plain and simple. To the guy complaining, please never come to a tournament I am at. Thank you.

Pretty sure that voicing my opinion is not that big a deal. I'm not complaining, not saying I will never attend another gotta go event. Just saying that in comparison to 2 other A-tier events (one of which I attended) I thought the players pack was poorer. Have I been to events with a lower players pack? Yes, but they also had a lower entry fee.

Compare it to GBO or BG Ams and tell me they are equal. They aren't. Yet my entry fee was. As a player who is not going to finish in the cash often I would prefer to play events where I get a larger players pack than events where the payout is deeper. Seems like voicing that would be worthwhile so next time someone can see it and decide what they consider worth it.

Frankly a tournament that had a $10 entry fee, and no players pack and was trophy only would be something I would be very interested in.

Different strokes for different folks.

Here's a link to the lead card scorecards for Kaposia and Hyland. Sorry if my chicken scratch is hard to read. On both scorecards next to the player's names were there scored under par going into that round. The last 9 holes are in the bottom right and the player's in the same order as originally listed. For Hyland I have the normal course hole number running along the top and the last 6 holes played were all temp holes.

http://imgur.com/a/fqYqX

Disc golfers' sense of entitlement never fails to amaze me. Gimme, gimme, gimme.

If you want a bunch of disc golf swag, go buy it. If you want to play in a tournament, then register to play. Don't go to a tournament EXPECTING to get a bunch crap in a players pack.

This is yet another reason we need to go trophy only for AM events. Ams have become spoiled rotten.

Disc golfers' sense of entitlement never fails to amaze me. Gimme, gimme, gimme.

If you want a bunch of disc golf swag, go buy it. If you want to play in a tournament, then register to play. Don't go to a tournament EXPECTING to get a bunch crap in a players pack.

This is yet another reason we need to go trophy only for AM events. Ams have become spoiled rotten.

I would love trophy only. LOVE.

and another vote for low entry, trophy only.

I would rather see TD's and staff pay themselves and invest in the course then take a load of swag to Savers.

Maybe more disc golfers should assume all tournaments are trophy only? (playing disc golf does not generate a profit for 99.9% of disc golfers) Then the player pack, scrip, and prize money would be a bonus and not something anybody was entitled to. If the money a disc golfer spends on tournament is not worth the experience/competition alone, it would be a good idea to stay home or go play for free at another course.

Maybe more disc golfers should assume all tournaments are trophy only? (playing disc golf does not generate a profit for 99.9% of disc golfers) Then the player pack, scrip, and prize money would be a bonus and not something anybody was entitled to. If the money a disc golfer spends on tournament is not worth the experience/competition alone, it would be a good idea to stay home or go play for free at another course.

I play tournaments, leagues, etc. because it is fun to compete. If I get a bunch of stuff just for showing up that's awesome. If I don't then who cares? I mean seriously, if I want a bunch of new plastic and dri-fit shirts and minis and what not then I can take my $60 dollar entry fee and just go buy it myself. And if I place and get vouchers or gift certs or "tourney cash" all the better!

Latest posts