• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 USDGC - McBeast vs The Field

Isnt this year the 'Performance Flight' deal? Besides Innova players, how many real pro's showed up for this in 2011? Not many!
I think Pauly will do just fine against a field of AM's

Stats: 2011 – John Key, Florida – Performance Champion / Won by 15

It's split. 72 players in the Open Flight in the traditional format and 72 players in the performance flight using handicapped scoring.

This is the format every year now, there is no alternating.

Isnt this year the 'Performance Flight' deal? Besides Innova players, how many real pro's showed up for this in 2011? Not many!
I think Pauly will do just fine against a field of AM's

Stats: 2011 – John Key, Florida – Performance Champion / Won by 15

They only did a full performance field once, and nobody liked it. Last year they split the field in two. Half was regular open play for raw score, the other half performance. That seemed to flow better and that is how they're going to do USDGC from now on. So there will be a regular open field this year.

They only did a full performance field once, and nobody liked it. Last year they split the field in two. Half was regular open play for raw score, the other half performance. That seemed to flow better and that is how they're going to do USDGC from now on. So there will be a regular open field this year.
Sweet! :hfive:

I think it's a hard call. When talking with Paul on DGTR(shameless plug) I got the feeling he really wants this tournament. As he said it is the one tournament he has never really performed well in. I think it definitely is him pressuring himself to win which is when Paul plays the best. Will is the back to back champion which means you can not count him out ever.

It's Will or Paul. I think Will breaks through and beats back the demons of a few recent, close losses.

Honestly no matter who wins, I can't wait to see the coverage. Watching Paul, Will, etc. is so much fun. Makes me laugh thinking about how I used to laugh at my dad for watching golf on TV...

They wonder why attendance of spectators is down at the USDGC. I think it's because prople don't want to go and watch amateurs play the course roughly the same way as they, themselves, would. Spectators generally want to see the best in the sport play in a way in which they couldn't really imagine because they don't have the distance and/or the skillset to pull that off.

They wonder why attendance of spectators is down at the USDGC. I think it's because prople don't want to go and watch amateurs play the course roughly the same way as they, themselves, would. Spectators generally want to see the best in the sport play in a way in which they couldn't really imagine because they don't have the distance and/or the skillset to pull that off.

I don't understand your statement. The top pros will all be there playing...

I don't understand your statement. The top pros will all be there playing...

Yeah, but it's a mixed field. Thik of your average tournament. Is the intermediate field drawing a lot of spectators? The few that may be there are following the open lead card, generally. In a tournament such as the USDGC, historically that's been pretty much the whole field. Two years ago, the Performance edition was introduced and spectatorship went down drastically. Last year, they started the split field and that helped a fair bit, but I still think that half th field being ams or your average rated tourney player hurts attendance by spectators due to the general lowering of the total caliber of play.

Despite his history at the USDGC, I wouldn't bet against McBeast. Been too clutch this year.

Wouldn't mind seeing Ricky win though, if Paul doesn't.

Isn't the USDGC kind of like horse racing? You never really see a horse get better than 3:1 odds or so. With all these athletes in contention, I think I'd give McBeth 6:1 or 7:1 considering how well he's doing.

The three in a row argument is just plain wrong statistically. The fact that he won two times in a row in no way reduces his odds of winning again. Think of a coin flip, if I flip it twice and both times come up heads, you would expect the third flip to come up tails?

The coin flip analogy is flawed. One coin flip does not affect the other.

But winning USDGC _might_ affect your ability in the next one, due to different mental perspective, increased age, what not. Not saying it does, but the events are not 100% discrete - so if repeat winners are rarely seen, it might be useful information when making predictions.

But for all we know, I can't really see that it is. :)

Last edited:
Is Joe Bishop playing? My money's on that guy, he's due. :|