• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 USDGC

Steve also laid up from about 10 feet on 18.

I'm pretty sure he makes par at worst.

It was kind of strange seeing that gimmie layup. But with the title on the line, a putt that close could miss and roll away. Can't say I blame his strategy.

The pitch-over and putt are also not a "gimme" if you've laid up. Heck, even the layup has been botched in the past.

Saying I'm flabbergasted by the consistency can be taken as an insult.

Considering you further qualified it with the "anybody at that rating", I was just confused.

She gave an interview where she said Feldberg told her to lay up, pitch over, and putt. She said it would always (ALWAYS!) be her strategy. Sounds like she executed perfectly.

Why did you say "nothing against her personally"? It sounds to me like you paid her a compliment for being consistent, not an insult.

That was wills strategy the first time he won. Not sure about the second time.

While that was the case in past years, the lead card started immediately after the second card (regular 10 minute interval) this year. Both Friday and Saturday saw the leader card start 10 minutes after the 2nd card then fall multiple holes and close to a half-hour behind as the round progressed.

While Feldberg's beef is somewhat legitimate, I find it funny that he's talking about bringing it up to the board when he resigned from the board a year ago. Sure, he can suggest to a current board member that this issue be considered, but he really doesn't carry any kind of authority to bring it to the board directly or make it any kind of priority for them at all.

I would also contend that if he wanted to be in a position to know what the lead card behind him was doing scorewise, he could have simply played better all week to put himself on that card in the first place. He really can only control what he's doing. If he's letting their scores (or his lack of knowledge of their scores) influence his shot-making decisions on 18, he's only hurting himself. He's got to play smart and put up the best score he can and hope it's enough to win. He didn't go OB because he didn't know where the lead card stood. He went OB because he threw a poor shot.

Yes I believe he was talking about bringing it up to a board member... sorry mis-spoke.

If Feldberg pars 18, he takes it, meaning 1st place. He was -32 thru 17, no?

So was Brinster.

Given that Brinster said he was considering laying up on 17 until he found out that Barry was in the clubhouse at -30, it's extremely doubtful that Brinster would have laid up on his second, third, and fourth throws on 18, which he clearly did, rather than going for the win if he had known that Feldberg was at -32. So, no, Feldberg wouldn't necessarily have won if he had parred 18.

Right and Brinster might have gone OB had he pushed instead of throwing putter 3x

I was caddying for Roan that last round and got to witness Beard going full Borg out there during the final round. He was upset they were so far behind b/c it definitely changed his shot selection on 18, but him and Jared hit the same tree at what looked to be the same spot and Dav's shot kicked hard left, while Jared's kicked straight ahead. His approach to the green was $$ and with the mulch present it can cause some strange kickups and unfortunately that is what happened to him. It was a shame to watch after his play all day, but in the end I was super stoked for Brinny who has always been a class act.

IMO there should be a rule enacted in the future so that the 2nd card and lead card can't have more than 2 holes btw them.

In any other tourney without live scoring, you don't have any way of knowing how the people on other cards are doing. Just because they have the live scoring there doesn't mean the rules need to change to give an advantage to players not on the top card.

IMO there should be a rule enacted in the future so that the 2nd card and lead card can't have more than 2 holes btw them.

You mean like Competition Manual Section 3.2?

A. All competitors shall play without undue delay and will make every effort to keep up with the group in front of them. Players are required to quickly move from the completion of one hole to the tee area of the next hole. Also, while advancing down the fairway, the player shall not unduly delay play by his or her actions.

B. A player causing undue delays may be issued an excessive time violation by tournament officials. Please see PDGA Official Rules of Disc Golf 804.01 Excessive Time regarding specific penalties.

Bottom line is that no matter what rule is on the books as pertains to pace of play, it's up to tournament officials (TD, marshalls, etc) to actually enforce them. There were seven PDGA marshalls on the course during the USDGC, and six of them were with the lead group by the time they reached hole 15 (got this info directly from the Tour Manager). For whatever it is worth, none saw fit to warn or penalize the lead card for their pace. That they fell behind for whatever reason is not why Feldberg blew up on 18.

Bottom line is that no matter what rule is on the books as pertains to pace of play, it's up to tournament officials (TD, marshalls, etc) to actually enforce them. There were seven PDGA marshalls on the course during the USDGC, and six of them were with the lead group by the time they reached hole 15 (got this info directly from the Tour Manager). For whatever it is worth, none saw fit to warn or penalize the lead card for their pace. That they fell behind for whatever reason is not why Feldberg blew up on 18.

The lead group was easily 25 minutes behind the second card by hole #9 (where I was flagging). From what I saw, delays were not due to speed-of-play by the competitors but from crowd control and camera coverage issues.

Right and Brinster might have gone OB had he pushed instead of throwing putter 3x

Might have, or he might have thrown in from the fairway for a deuce, but we'll never know. Bottom line is, Feldberg wasn't a lock to win even if he had parred 18.

As someone else mentioned, if Feldberg hadn't done (relatively) poorly on Day 1 and Day 2, there would have been no question about Day 4.
When it all comes down to the end, you are playing the course, not someone on the Lead Card.
I understand that he may have played differently if he had been "closer" to the Lead Card, but that goes back to playing well enough on Day 1 and 2 to be on the Lead Card.

Any coach will tell you that you have to put yourself in a situation where you can win. Then you have to overcome obstacles to get the win.
I'm just not buying the Lead Card slow play as the obstacle that kept Feldy from winning.

Last edited:
If I was way better than I am and if I qualified and if I played out of my mind all weekend I could of maybe cashed.

If I was way better than I am and if I qualified and if I played out of my mind all weekend I could of maybe cashed.

Call me crazy. But if you played your game, made the right choices, and stayed inbounds...you could cash now, New. Assuming you qualified, which is the kicker.

I'm to terrible at playing safe to cash, I'd go for everything. I've still yet to play the course.. maybe next year.

Latest posts