• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jonesboro Open - April 13-16 DGPT Pro / AM

Jonesboro Open 2017 Hole Analysis.
The size of the bubbles in the first chart shows how much impact each hole had on spreading out the total scores of all the players (Contribution). All holes had a positive impact. Hole 13 was the weakest, and hole 2 did the most work.
The horizontal axis is the width of the scoring spread, and the vertical axis shows how well a hole sorted out the scores by skill.
We can see that the cause of hole 13's weak showing was that it gave out less than 2 different scores, and it gave them out in a mostly random fashion, better than only 72% of all possible ways of sorting. (50% would be completely random).
Hole 2 gave out a respectable 2.84 different scores, and gave them out in a way that was better than 96% of all possible arrangements.

attachment.php

Because there were four rounds, we can also measure how well a hole treated players consistently from round to round.
A completely consistent hole would give out an average of 1.68 different scores to each player over four rounds. (More than one, because most player's expected score on a hole would fall in between two integer scores.)
A hole that gave out scores entirely at random from round to round would give out an average of 2.54 different scores.
In the chart below, the vertical axis is consistency, the horizontal is scoring spread across all players, and the size of the bubble shows the average score.

attachment.php

Holes 3 and 13 are more consistent than should be possible. This is a result of giving out scores across a range narrower than a full throw. In this case, they gave out too many 3s.
When a hole gives out more scores to all players, it is not as easy for that hole to be consistent. Holes 2 and 18 stand out as being more consistent (to each player) than you would expect or holes with such wide scoring spreads (across all players).
Holes 6 and 8 are perhaps less consistent than they should be, compared to other holes on the course.

Here are some x-rays of selected holes.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SSWCont.png
    SSWCont.png
    47 KB · Views: 313
  • SSWCons.png
    SSWCons.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Holes020613.jpg
    Holes020613.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 315
Best looking course of the tour to date!

Wow,thought just the opposite!tournament sponsored by a mower company and players were constantly in shin high grass,our could even argue that players didn't even play the same course after leaving the Tee on each hole,,No Defined holes whatsoever,throw it a mile and get back with me when we get by the basket,,see ya then lol,Texas States had by far the Best course played this year and probably , All year,,,was good to see Pros being challenged by a course with No previous years experience to rely on

Wow,thought just the opposite!tournament sponsored by a mower company and players were constantly in shin high grass,our could even argue that players didn't even play the same course after leaving the Tee on each hole,,No Defined holes whatsoever,throw it a mile and get back with me when we get by the basket,,see ya then lol,Texas States had by far the Best course played this year and probably , All year,,,was good to see Pros being challenged by a course with No previous years experience to rely on

Actually, while I see your point, I thought I saw some interesting holes. Typically when our holes get out over 400 feet, they're wide open. This course still had fairways and feature on those holes. What's more, those features were applicable to the hole length. Perhaps not perfect, but interesting imo.

Texas States was an amazing setting, thanks Jeremy and Baytown. I'm not comparing the two, just pointing out that Jonesboro struck me as unique in some good ways.

It's interesting that to cash you had to shoot 1000 rated golf. (MPO)

Was this by design?

I don't play many tournaments but usually spend a lot of effort trying to make last cash in my division so it's always interesting to see what the grown-ups have to shoot to get cash.

It's amazing how big of a deal it is even when you're playing for small amounts -- getting paid is fun and not getting paid stinks. I wonder if the "last cash" was more interesting than Ricky's victory lap . . .. just saying -- that's fun to watch/be a part of.

It's interesting that to cash you had to shoot 1000 rated golf. (MPO)

Was this by design?

I don't play many tournaments but usually spend a lot of effort trying to make last cash in my division so it's always interesting to see what the grown-ups have to shoot to get cash.

It's amazing how big of a deal it is even when you're playing for small amounts -- getting paid is fun and not getting paid stinks. I wonder if the "last cash" was more interesting than Ricky's victory lap . . .. just saying -- that's fun to watch/be a part of.

I doubt it. The PDGA has a payout rule that determines how deep it goes. It just happened that there were enough 1000 rated players, who all performed up to task, that the payout didn't go below.

On the other hand, I'd not count on payout going below 1000 as a regular thing one way or the other. The number of 1000 or higher rated players increases week to week. :)

As an older guy, I was seriously impressed with John E. McCray: so smooth, such great form, and so awesome in his approach game.

The Jomez video for this tournament would be great publucity to attract older guys to the sport.

Met a 57 year old guy the other day playing his 3rd round. He was doing great for an older guy cutting his teeth, and it was all because of watching youtube vids.

Not sure what he watched, but John E at the Jonesboro would inspire any 40+ year old guy.

Our sport definitely doesn't do enough to sell itself to the 45-65 crowd.

Lifetime sport, physical activity, access to friendly competition, etc.

I began playing at 47 ten years ago. JEM turns me off more than inspiring me.

I thought the same thing. On many holes, there were no clearly defined fairways, I wondered how they got their "fairways hit" stat.
But, it was nice to see the pros struggle sometimes with thick woods in the rough, like a lot of us see most every round.

I thought the same thing. On many holes, there were no clearly defined fairways, I wondered how they got their "fairways hit" stat.
But, it was nice to see the pros struggle sometimes with thick woods in the rough, like a lot of us see most every round.

As someone who kept stats for the event, I'll say it was difficult on a few holes but not too bad for most. It might not come across well in the video but the fairways were cut a little lower than the rest of the grass.

Keep in mind this course is unplayable most of the year due to the tall grass. perspective

I began playing at 47 ten years ago. JEM turns me off more than inspiring me.

I hear ya. My first impression of McCray was at that tournament with McBeth and Sexton, and McCray was calling out McBeth for not being on time to tee off (McBeth was using the potty). That was okay, but then McCray started going off on a tirade about something that had happened eight years before. Turned me off to him, never got over that impression of him, though I hear from many people that he's a very nice guy, etc. etc. etc.

Also, as someone in my 50s, I do agree that there is a huge untapped potential in people over 40 years old, and the PDGA (and maybe DGPT) should look into it...

Keep in mind this course is unplayable most of the year due to the tall grass. perspective

Didn't they say it's used for hay production? Again, for a course that wasn't lined to make it challenging for top pros, it is the first course I've seen that looks like it does that. Yes, it isn't perfect, but it's a step in the right direction IMO.

TO did some great things too. These venues suggest that TDs are looking at the best venues, like Milo and Maple hill and trying to be more rigorous.

I hear ya. My first impression of McCray was at that tournament with McBeth and Sexton, and McCray was calling out McBeth for not being on time to tee off (McBeth was using the potty). That was okay, but then McCray started going off on a tirade about something that had happened eight years before. Turned me off to him, never got over that impression of him, though I hear from many people that he's a very nice guy, etc. etc. etc.

Also, as someone in my 50s, I do agree that there is a huge untapped potential in people over 40 years old, and the PDGA (and maybe DGPT) should look into it...

Something to keep in mind, and I'm not a JEM fan either, I think he demonstrates the difficulty of going on the road like this when you're older. The pressure is higher and the fun factor is probably down a good bit.

Didn't they say it's used for hay production? Again, for a course that wasn't lined to make it challenging for top pros, it is the first course I've seen that looks like it does that. Yes, it isn't perfect, but it's a step in the right direction IMO.

TO did some great things too. These venues suggest that TDs are looking at the best venues, like Milo and Maple hill and trying to be more rigorous.

IMHO, Jonesboro is the glimpse of pro Disc Golf's future. Courses will be created that are longer but with more challenges, and not just a wide open golf course with nothing but hyzer, hyzer, putt. I thought Jonesboro did a pretty good job challenging the best players. Were there issues for the first-time tournament? Of course. But those can be ironed out. And a few more mandos put in as Simon Lizotte keeps finding new and creative ways to crush the course...

I say no to more mandos. Simon shouldn't be penalized for having a big arm and/or creativity. BTW, I'm pretty sure Simon didn't win.

I say no to more mandos. Simon shouldn't be penalized for having a big arm and/or creativity. BTW, I'm pretty sure Simon didn't win.

The mando wasn't put in place to penalize Simon or any other specific player. It was put in place because players (Simon was not the only one) were taking a route that was a) not intended or expected by the designer and b) put players on other fairways unsuspectingly in the line of fire. In the midst of a tournament, a mando is a perfectly valid means of addressing the issue.

Going forward, perhaps the course owners/management can tweak the design of the hole to discourage or eliminate that route as an option without having to use a mandatory.

Latest posts