• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Am Worlds...Minneapolis

they are looking at changing the layout. arguments are safety and course flow. from the end of hole 5 you have to hike back almost to the tee of hole 5 to get to 6, albeit along a side trail that i have never felt was in the path of a disc. i think you could play the hole in reverse and it would be just as challenging, though. cut a path from hole 4 to where the pin of 5 and then it's a short walk from 5-6 and no safety concerns. both arguments have merit. since 5 is originally a downhill hole, it may actually improve the challenge. uphill with a tight gap to hit if you want a shot at bird. pick your poison i guess.

for the purposes of a championship such as this, a reverse layout on hole 5 would probably appear more professional.

Last edited:
Near by Camp-grounds:

Rice Creek Campgrounds
7401 Main St, Centerville
763-757-3920

Landfall Terrace
50 Aspen Way, Landfall
651-739-8284

St Paul East RV Park
568 Settlers Ridge Parkway, Woodbury
651-436-6436

Lebanon Hills Campground
12100 Johnny Cake Ridge Road, Apple Valley
651-688-1376

Lowry Grove Community
2501 Lowry Ave NE, Minneapolis
612-781-3148

Also feel free to PM regarding rentals which could be available on a per night basis located in the twin cities or with any other local questions too. There are many more camp-grounds but these are the closest to St. Paul. There is one 5 minutes from BRP even which I can workout a discount with the owner for DG'ers.

I think you got the numbers messed up there at the end. I think they want to cut a path from the end of 5 to the pin of 6 and play 6 reversed. Personally I think it would play great and the flow would be much better. Any way you look at it 5 causes backups, but it is an excellent hole and well worth keeping. It is one of those holes that have large scoring spreads and it is fun to play.

I think you got the numbers messed up there at the end. I think they want to cut a path from the end of 5 to the pin of 6 and play 6 reversed. Personally I think it would play great and the flow would be much better. Any way you look at it 5 causes backups, but it is an excellent hole and well worth keeping. It is one of those holes that have large scoring spreads and it is fun to play.

Ahh. I had heard rumors of flipping 6. Personally I'm all for it as I think it would help the flow. It would also be a cool hole if they plan to put the pad where they've cleared out some of the underbrush behind the existing pin. I like the hole as it stands but flow would be better reversed and I think you wouldn't be giving anything up difficulty wise.

This is the current version, which is why 5 is officially "saved".
attachment.php

We hope that having the path to 6 going away from 5 (instead of basically turning around and coming back down the fairway) will speed up play a little. We also plan to clear out some buckthorn and dead limbs on the ground to make discs quicker to find. Also, at least two spotter/pushers to keep players moving.

With these three efforts, we hope to be able to prove to the PDGA that hole 5 can be played without undo back ups. There are a couple of big tournaments next year where we'll be able to test it.

By the way, the existing tee and anchors for 6 would be left in place, so any TD that wants to use "6 classic" still could.

The tee for 6 will very likely be right next to the current pin. A tee down where there are no trees probably won't happen. The throw would be blind, up over a retaining wall. No way to see where the disc lands or whether it hit anyone.

Attachments

• Kaposia4to8s.jpg
    Kaposia4to8s.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 235
For some reason I thought this whole "save hole 5" talk was about Blue Ribbon Pines.

Those maps confused the hell out of me.

Then I realized its Kaposia…. derp.

I know Lakewood is in, but I haven't heard what others yet. I plan on attending but not yet sure if I will play. all the courses are within an hour of my house. I may have a room for rent for the week. If ya can deal with dogs, cats, and one child. LOL.

Please show up to MFA meetings and keep DGers in the area informed. I hear it's a little more than just playing 6 backwards. Could you elaborate on your plans for hole 5?

The plan for hole 5 is to leave it as is.

Perhaps you are thinking of some other ideas that have since been discarded. The maps in my earlier post show everything currently being considered for holes 4-8.

The maps below show everything currently being considered for holes 9-17. The two ideas are to turn left instead of right after 10, and try to find a good alternative for the long anchor on existing 15. At least one player has been hit during a tournament while putting at that location.

attachment.php

There are no changes proposed for holes 18 and up.

The actual set-up for Worlds (or any tournament) might be different than these "daily play" set ups.

I'll see if I can wrangle an invitation to a Minnesota Frisbee Association meeting.

Attachments

• Kaposia9to17s.jpg
    Kaposia9to17s.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 318
so have the courses being used been finalized? if so what are they? if not what side of the cities will the majority of courses be?

OK, can't get to the 2014AmWorlds website at work :)wall:), but my curiosity has the best of me. I've only been playing two years, and have been to BG Ams twice, and know that's a round on Friday afternoon, two on Saturday, one Sunday morning, then the final nine.

But what is the schedule for a typical Worlds? six rounds, semis, finals, right? Spread out over how many days? If I'm on a timeline and budget, and can only get in the night before the first round, what nights should I plan to book a room? :confused:

And if time & money aren't a problem, how early do the pre-tourney events start rolling?

schedule from 2012...couldnt find last years for some reason.

actual tournament is Tues-Sat i know that

Note: unofficial until posted on the 2104 Am Worlds Facebook page or the website being developed.

Based on traditional schedules, most players will be guaranteed 6 preliminary rounds from Tues-Fri either 2-1-2-1 or 1-2-1-2. Most course activity will likely form a SE Twin Cities crescent from White Bear to Lakeville which is mostly why tournament central is in IGH/SSP. Courses that appear to be in are: The Valley, Kaposia, CP Adams, Oakwood and Kenwood Trails. Bryant Lake for just a few divisions. Lakewood Hills hasn't completely firmed up. Bethel is apparently a possibility with some hurdles to clear remaining there. Lions Park in Shakopee could be a backup should any of the other courses unexpectedly fall through. Each division will likely play 5 different courses with one played twice in the Prelim rounds. Semis and Finals locations still TBD since HSSA not available due to construction then. Blue Ribbon Pines will be hosting a doubles event before Worlds and at least two league nights during the competition week so players on their 1-round day have the time to head up there to play all 27 holes in competition if they want to check it out.

Last edited:
Thank you! :thmbup: You guys are awesome.
I'm planning to play Grandmasters, and try to avoid finishing DFL. Fortunately, I tourney a lot in various divisions, and will get my second invite (I assume 1600 points will suffice :p ), proving that you don't have to be really good to qualify, you just have to be prolific (some might say, addicted).

OK, can't get to the 2014AmWorlds website at work :)wall:), but my curiosity has the best of me. I've only been playing two years, and have been to BG Ams twice, and know that's a round on Friday afternoon, two on Saturday, one Sunday morning, then the final nine.

But what is the schedule for a typical Worlds? six rounds, semis, finals, right? Spread out over how many days? If I'm on a timeline and budget, and can only get in the night before the first round, what nights should I plan to book a room? :confused:

And if time & money aren't a problem, how early do the pre-tourney events start rolling?

Make sure to get there in time to go to the players meeting

Well I am far away from meeting the points standards (sanctioned events are really hard to come by here in Korea) but I found out through PDGA that someone who plays an international tournament (as an Am) gets an invite, so I'm golden!

Been scouting these courses on-line and all look fun...some pretty tough. Can't wait!

If I have played Pro in a PDGA tournament can I play World Am's?

It says Pros may not play Amateur in a Major, however the "Pro" event I played was the National Team Challenge. There is also a C Tier this coming month I was contemplating playing Pro in.

Latest posts