• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

DxmOPa1.jpg

So he personally attacks McFly on the Whinebooks and wonders about people not liking his opinion? Sounds legit.

What was said exactly? I am one of those guys who does not have facebook ��

I have 3 kids that watch vids w me so I get the objection.

On the other hand, I object to a lot of what is going on at any given DG course when it comes to my kids.

And now for something completely different: does anyone know what Barsby is putting with?

...and with respect to Patrick Brown, I'm personally shocked with the relative lack of outbursts. I'm sure anyone that plays GGP much would agree w me.

So much win in this thread. lets have some fun and try to set the record straighter for all you arm chair referees.

McBeast should have known the rule about the spotters chair but if you watched the dialog between the "officials", you can clearly see they did not know the rule either. The person with the headphones seemed in charge, yet the expression on his face was the most cluless of the three. McBeast could (and in hindsight) should have waited for the three officials to get it right (or wrong), rather than "take matters in his own hands" which is the quote one of the announcers had (David G or Crazy legs). It only cost him a stroke, and considering the amount of OB's in the round, proved to not be crucial that round. Did make for good live internet tv viewing however.
i can assure you the two marshals on the call knew the rules inside and out. see Cgkdiscs post below. Clueless expression? it was the most stressful experience i have ever been in and i was determined to make sure the correct call was made. I was the junior member of the staff in that shot and was deferring my opinion to the senior staffers. i would love to see how you would have handled that. what a joke!

He asked about it.

Three tournament officials decided he can't move it.

Why do we even have official tests?
bahahahahaha not even worth a reply

Botched call on the chair which may have caused McBeth's OB.

The marshal made the correct call per the rulebook if in fact the chair was interpreted to be part of the course as a result of it being there before the hole was played. That interpretation might be made while looking right at the rulebook. However, it's an extension of the casual relief rule 803.01B to consider spotter gear as equivalent to "player equipment" in the thrower's stance that was missed.

Glad to see chuck that at least you came to your senses and at least read the rule in question. i wonder if any of the other people commenting on the "botched" call even read the rule. Also in my opinion it is an impossible stretch to say the "Players equipment" and "Staff equipment" are the same thing. Literally it is extremely obvious that staff and players are 2 entirely separate things.

Official ruling after the round is the marshalls were incorrect, Paul should have been able to move it.
this is absolutely incorrect. You should know better than to post such garbage

So here is what really happen so all you arm chair referees can get your facts straight before going page after page about something you have only a glimpse of. First of all NEITHER of the 2 marshals made a call. Secondly it is not up to a Marshall to make a call our ONLY capacity is to ASSIST the players if requested to reach their own decision. in the end it is ALWAYS up to the players to make the call. Third BOTH marshals when first presented with the situation agreed that the chair could have been removed. The USDGC representative interpreted the rule as the chair was part of the course and believed this was the correct call. That call was seconded by the PDGA representative that arrived on the scene seconds after McBeth threw his shot. It is my opinion that it would have been in McBeths best interest to be patient and at least either hear from the PDGA representative himself and throw a provisional and let the TD decide the correct call. but that is hindsight and is not my call to make. McBeth MADE the decision to throw his shot with the chair in place and i can not fault him on that. He is his own man and made the throw with the chair in place.

To be honest i believe the chair should have been able to be removed. BUT unfortunately there is nothing in 803.01 that allows it to be removed. as i stated in the broadcast it all hinges on weather the chair is part of the course or not. and i challenge ANY of you internet jockeys to quote a rule that addresses this situation.

Last edited:
To be honest i believe the chair should have been able to be removed. BUT unfortunately there is nothing in 803.01 that allows it to be removed. as i stated in the broadcast it all hinges on weather the chair is part of the course or not. and i challenge ANY of you internet jockeys to quote a rule that addresses this situation.
to clarify i think the rules should allow for the chair in this situation to be moved but as the rules are written now i believe that moving the chair was a direct violation of the rules.

So much win in this thread. lets have some fun and try to set the record straighter for all you arm chair referees.

i can assure you the two marshals on the call knew the rules inside and out. see Cgkdiscs post below. Clueless expression? it was the most stressful experience i have ever been in and i was determined to make sure the correct call was made. I was the junior member of the staff in that shot and was deferring my opinion to the senior staffers. i would love to see how you would have handled that. what a joke!

bahahahahaha not even worth a reply

Glad to see chuck that at least you came to your senses and at least read the rule in question. i wonder if any of the other people commenting on the "botched" call even read the rule. Also in my opinion it is an impossible stretch to say the "Players equipment" and "Staff equipment" are the same thing. Literally it is extremely obvious that staff and players are 2 entirely separate things.

this is absolutely incorrect. You should know better than to post such garbage

So here is what really happen so all you arm chair referees can get your facts straight before going page after page about something you have only a glimpse of. First of all NEITHER of the 2 marshals made a call. Secondly it is not up to a Marshall to make a call our ONLY capacity is to ASSIST the players if requested to reach their own decision. in the end it is ALWAYS up to the players to make the call. Third BOTH marshals when first presented with the situation agreed that the chair could have been removed. The USDGC representative interpreted the rule as the chair was part of the course and believed this was the correct call. That call was seconded by the PDGA representative that arrived on the scene seconds after McBeth threw his shot. It is my opinion that it would have been in McBeths best interest to be patient and at least either hear from the PDGA representative himself and throw a provisional and let the TD decide the correct call. but that is hindsight and is not my call to make. McBeth MADE the decision to throw his shot with the chair in place and i can not fault him on that. He is his own man and made the throw with the chair in place.

I'm sorry but 803.1a clearly states that he can move a person or the persons belongings. McBeth did rush the issue and not consult a Pdga representative or throw a provisional. If anyone learns anything from this conversation is that you must throw a provisional anytime you are in a situation that is in question.

/thread

someone needs to put the pacifier back in daves loud mouth. he is on high school drama level. isnt he a little old for this?

he really expected not to be called out on his crying? give me a break. saw that one coming from the second he posted it

to clarify i think the rules should allow for the chair in this situation to be moved but as the rules are written now i believe that moving the chair was a direct violation of the rules.

"A player is allowed to request that other people remove themselves and/or their belongings from the player's stance or line of play"

End of.

If anyone would argue that whatever random reclining apparatus a spotter chose and randomly parked that day for, absolutely deserved, relaxation when possible, was part of the course, I would laugh in his face and ask him to take it up with the TD afterwards.

I would ask the spotter to move it (the rules are pretty clear I cannot do it myself) and point right to 803.01 part A if it was brought to the TD.

Nailed it, bombmk.

Last sentence of 803.01 Obstacles And Relief
Last updated: Friday, August 29, 2014 - 15:02

in case anyone can't find it.

I appreciate you coming in and clarifying everything with a first hand account. When I look at the rule I see the area of 803.01A that states the a player may request that other people remove themselves and/or their belongings from the player's stance or line of play. I feel in the spirit of the rule, this is not limited to spectators but includes course staff and other players. We have seen numerous instances when errant shots hit spectators, course officials, other players, their bags or other equipment like camp stools. In every instance these things have been removed in order to allow the player to take a proper stance when applicable. There just isn't a lot of clarity in the rule as it seems to be worded. If I were in the situation, I'd have probably thought long and hard about it, but likely moved the chair. Thank you for offering your time for the sport.

Edit: looks like a few others already brought up this point

As for everything else, after watching the best pros in the game explode I figured I should go play a few rounds and get ready for my tourney next weekend. Looks like I missed a lot.

I'm sorry but 803.1a clearly states that he can move a person or the persons belongings. McBeth did rush the issue and not consult a Pdga representative or throw a provisional. If anyone learns anything from this conversation is that you must throw a provisional anytime you are in a situation that is in question.

/thread
"Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are on or behind the lie: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the Director before the round."

Please show me where it states anything about "clearly states that he can move a person or the persons belongings. " persons belongings are not stated at all. That chair was absolutely not a "players equipment" it was not a "person" nor anything else listed here. if we are going to discuss the effectively please quote the rule and express the opinion from there.

"A player is allowed to request that other people remove themselves and/or their belongings from the player's stance or line of play"

End of.

If anyone would argue that whatever random reclining apparatus a spotter chose and randomly parked that day for, absolutely deserved, relaxation when possible, was part of the course, I would laugh in his face and ask him to take it up with the TD afterwards.

I would ask the spotter to move it (the rules are pretty clear I cannot do it myself) and point right to 803.01 part A if it was brought to the TD.
what you are referring to applies to prior to the throw and not after the throw has come to rest. Please quote the rule that backs this up. "and/or their belongings"

"Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are on or behind the lie: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the Director before the round."

Please show me where it states anything about "clearly states that he can move a person or the persons belongings. " persons belongings are not stated at all. That chair was absolutely not a "players equipment" it was not a "person" nor anything else listed here. if we are going to discuss the effectively please quote the rule and express the opinion from there.

What if the spotter/spectator would have moved the chair? If they didn't themselves could Paul have asked them to remove it?

someone needs to put the pacifier back in daves loud mouth. he is on high school drama level. isnt he a little old for this?

he really expected not to be called out on his crying? give me a break. saw that one coming from the second he posted it
loud mouth, drama, crying. i am here giving you guys some first hand information and i am the bad guy here? people are there doing there best job to make this tournament the best it can be. a mistake happens which could happen to anyone and we get blasted online for trying to do the right and i get this. gotcha. thanks for sharing!

loud mouth, drama, crying. i am here giving you guys some first hand information and i am the bad guy here? people are there doing there best job to make this tournament the best it can be. a mistake happens which could happen to anyone and we get blasted online for trying to do the right and i get this. gotcha. thanks for sharing!

Elmex is referring to Feldy's FB posts regarding McFly's coverage lol

Latest posts