• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

Think about this seriously for a second --

How much less disc golf videos would we watch if there were no McFly?

No next-day turnaround of the Memorial, Worlds, USDGC, etc. Only live DGP or those terrible cameras from Disc Golf Guy(which I like, just not the best cameras).

Seriously, think about it. Without McFly, we would see VERY little disc golf, and what we did see we would have to wait weeks after the event to finally see.

McBeth shot 16 strokes worse than his first round. Just shows how easy strokes can pile on at Winthrop. Last year he shot a 67 during his third round then in frustration broke one of his Aviars after the round. Next day he followed it up with a course record 52.

From my 5 minute interaction with Marty at worlds he seems like too nice a person to react to that the way he should. From all of the people who greatly enjoy his videos: Dave, kindly STFU.

I met Marty when he followed our card at NCDGC and he is an awesome guy. If you watch NFL games on LIVE NATIONAL TELEVISION you can hear and see swear words constantly. Dave is up a little too high on his pedestal and if I am not mistaken I recall hearing him say S**T on one of Mcflys videos before...

Blame the person who films and produces pure disc golf videos, not the top "pros" who cant act professionally. Nice, Dave. Like the people in the gallery can't hear Nikko's f bombs and gd-its but the kids at home can.

I get the players swapping out discs for specific courses and tournaments.

What I don't get is when the sponsored players do an in the bag video, a lot of them (especially Innova sponsored) keep saying "I throw this midrange X mis-stamped as midrange Y & this driver A mis-stamped as driver C, etc"

Seems like a missed opportunity for disc maker and sponsor player to step up to the tee box with all the cameras rolling and hold up the CORRECTLY stamped disc for all to see and make that beautiful "I bet I can make that throw if I have that disc in my bag" shot. Unless it is some sort competitive secret.

Can't get on board with this complaint. Why does the stamp matter in the slightest? I'm sure most pros would throw no-stamped discs if it were allowed (by the manufacturers).

Goober spotter left a chair in the inbounds area. Paul has to play from it as it's been there all day.

Official ruling after the round is the marshalls were incorrect, Paul should have been able to move it.

If the players weren't cursing, it wouldn't be an issue. Maybe Dave should be focusing his efforts in that direction.

Good luck with that. Tennis players will grunt, golfers will curse, football players will celebrate, futbol stars will dogpile after goals.

Dave may be whining, but he's got a point. If you're going to edit something, you are already by definition removing objectivity. One single edit to a video makes it a subjective story, therefore you are actively choosing to display our sport in a particular way. Lest we forget, the professional tour is VERY lenient and accomodating to the media. I'm not calling anybody in particular out, but disc golf media outlets would be wise to not push unnecessary boundaries and fall out of the graces of the powers that be, unless over-regulation is the goal.

Dave may be whining, but he's got a point. If you're going to edit something, you are already by definition removing objectivity. One single edit to a video makes it a subjective story, therefore you are actively choosing to display our sport in a particular way. Lest we forget, the professional tour is VERY lenient and accomodating to the media. I'm not calling anybody in particular out, but disc golf media outlets would be wise to not push unnecessary boundaries and fall out of the graces of the powers that be, unless over-regulation is the goal.

If his objection is that Marty is intentionally trying to make guys look bad by not editing their cursing or their outbursts, fine. But don't couch that in the Helen Lovejoy "oh won't someone think of the children" BS. If the concern is making the sport more kid-friendly and/or more sponsor-friendly and the cursing and outbursts are identified as making the sport less friendly in that respect, then target the source of the problem.

Obviously you can't prevent every shout, yell, groan, grunt, etc. But things like Nikko's chair abuse yesterday, which went out LIVE on discgolfplanet's coverage (can't edit that), can easily be remedied with more discipline on the part of the players and more discipline from tournament officials and the PDGA in general. If players aren't calling each other out on their tantrums, why should video editors be tasked with doing that after the fact?

If his objection is that Marty is intentionally trying to make guys look bad by not editing their cursing or their outbursts, fine. But don't couch that in the Helen Lovejoy "oh won't someone think of the children" BS. If the concern is making the sport more kid-friendly and/or more sponsor-friendly and the cursing and outbursts are identified as making the sport less friendly in that respect, then target the source of the problem.

Obviously you can't prevent every shout, yell, groan, grunt, etc. But things like Nikko's chair abuse yesterday, which went out LIVE on discgolfplanet's coverage (can't edit that), can easily be remedied with more discipline on the part of the players and more discipline from tournament officials and the PDGA in general. If players aren't calling each other out on their tantrums, why should video editors be tasked with doing that after the fact?

You make very valid points, and I didn't mean my response as a defense of Dave (just to clarify). His motives and timing are as mysterious to me as to you. I just wanted to throw my philosophical .02 in there as it relates to the direction of media in correlation with the growth of the sport.

This tournament actually even has tiered media access already, and I will not be surprised in the slightest if it is adopted for most NT's and majors starting next year. Some regulation is a good thing, but if we as simultaneous fans and professionals don't use discretion and hide behind the "journalism" card then we could see changes that you guys (the audience) will hate right around the corner. The free up-close-and-personal media ride is slowly on the way out already, people shouldn't speed it up.

Dave is correct on this issue. The publisher is responsible for content that goes out publicly including DGPlanet who needs to monitor their live signal. That's why there's the 7 second broadcasting delay for live shows at TV stations. Video producers are subject to the language and behavior constraints imposed by their sponsors and web hosting sites involved, some being more liberal than others. Gregoire has already talked with McFly even before this incident so he's aware of it. But sometimes things will slip through when you're busting it like McFly does to get out the content each day (which we all appreciate). Ideally, anything that slips through would be cleaned up before content is archived or used for promotional purposes.

just wow! havent seen any footage, just scores and caught up on reading the thread, its going to be a good tomorrow

Dave is correct on this issue. The publisher is responsible for content that goes out publicly including DGPlanet who needs to monitor their live signal. That's why there's the 7 second broadcasting delay for live shows at TV stations. Video producers are subject to the language and behavior constraints imposed by their sponsors and web hosting sites involved, some being more liberal than others. Gregoire has already talked with McFly even before this incident so he's aware of it. But sometimes things will slip through when you're busting it like McFly does to get out the content each day (which we all appreciate). Ideally, anything that slips through would be cleaned up before content is archived or used for promotional purposes.

Also I just read the whole thing on facebook. Let me just clarify (and this is the one sentence where I will stick up for Dave on this issue) that anyone who thinks McFly (or ANY media person, myself absolutely included) has done more for this sport than Feldberg is completely delusional.

The guy may be whining, and he's no saint (haha Latitude pun), but he gives 100% of himself to the sport and has for years, since long before I even knew of its existence.

Latest posts