• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 European Open coverage thread/split from Tournament thread

Jesus yall people are ungrateful! Its only been about 2 years that we've gotten anything close to consistent, readily available coverage for SOME of the big events. And really only the 2015 season that we've have coverage for basically everything.

Juha/lcgm8's been doing awesome youtube full round coverage of disc golf tournaments since at least the 2010 Scandinavian Open.

It's a shame that the European Open didn't invite one of the godfather's of disc golf coverage to film their event :\ ... ... ... :wall:

... however, I believe this quote was directed at LIVE coverage, which is a whole ... nother ... level ... and definitely isn't as "easy" as edited full round coverage

Jesus yall people are ungrateful! Its only been about 2 years that we've gotten anything close to consistent, readily available coverage for SOME of the big events. And really only the 2015 season that we've have coverage for basically everything.

I remember when the dots for USDGC was pretty much cutting edge technology, and we were stoked for being able to watch the action go down "live."

I remember when the dots for USDGC was pretty much cutting edge technology, and we were stoked for being able to watch the action go down "live."

I remember DOTS and I remember a live audio stream, which amounted to Brian Mace and whoever he could wrangle to sit in the pro shop and jabber with him about what *might* be happening out on the course. We and technology have come a long way in 6-7 years.

We have come far enough that now tournament directors actually have to take media rights seriously, including charging media outlets for the opportunity to record and distribute video coverage of the event whether it's live or recorded. From what I understand, lcgm8 didn't want to pay to be there, so he's not there. Innova/SpinTV paid to be there. I imagine that Finnish television is paying something for the right to broadcast the event as well. And I don't imagine they'd take kindly to Jussi letting any old youtuber (including one of the "godfathers", lcgm8) show up for free to film and upload/distribute coverage of the event they're paying to cover.

We're in a new age, folks.

I kinda wish they would put up a dots diagram while players are walking up fairways after there drives. sometimes its hard to tell who landed where with one or two cameras.This would prob be to hard for live coverage right now.

I'm sorry I still don't understand SpinTV's concept. They want to film and shoot interviews to have players discuss rounds that we can't even watch or have no idea what they are talking about! I'm pretty sure if you take a poll and voted what do people want Live coverage or even delayed coverage of lead cards/chase cards or human interest pieces during the tournament of which no one can watch....I'm pretty sure it's a no brainer.

And I don't care if was once impossible to view or get delayed updates. This is today! And the means to stream are there. You want to charge for it I'm perfectly fine with that!

And I don't imagine they'd take kindly to Jussi letting any old youtuber (including one of the "godfathers", lcgm8) show up for free to film and upload/distribute coverage of the event they're paying to cover.

... just thinking out loud here:

With all the progress in media coverage of disc golf tournaments in the past 5yrs, is coverage of a PDGA Major that doesn't provide full round coverage ... actually considered coverage?

I think we've become rather spoiled and used to a certain standard (rather high standard), and it's a rude jolt when things that occurred in previous years' coverage doesn't happen in later years' coverage.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I still don't understand SpinTV's concept. They want to film and shoot interviews to have players discuss rounds that we can't even watch or have no idea what they are talking about! I'm pretty sure if you take a poll and voted what do people want Live coverage or even delayed coverage of lead cards/chase cards or human interest pieces during the tournament of which no one can watch....I'm pretty sure it's a no brainer.

And I don't care if was once impossible to view or get delayed updates. This is today! And the means to stream are there. You want to charge for it I'm perfectly fine with that!

Yes, the means to stream is there, assuming there is a strong enough cell signal on the course (which we don't know). But the cost to stream is still somewhat prohibitive, particularly if you don't have the proper equipment at your disposal...and since Spin has yet to do anything live other than a studio based show, we have no reason to assume they have the equipment they need to cover rounds live. It's going to take more than a few subscription fees to raise enough funds to pull live coverage off.

Let's also consider that today was day 1: randomly mixed groups and limited camera availability. So rather than picking a group and hoping they get the hot round(s), the cameras wandered and got Paul's ace, but also got their "top 5" shots of the day from KJ, Jerm, Feldberg, and Doss. Tomorrow, cards are grouped by score...you have a lead card(s) to follow. Maybe they send a camera with McBeth and company as well as have a camera on the women's leaders. Tomorrow's wrap up show might have more blow-by-blow coverage of the leaders than they got today. Same with round 3. And round 4.

Basically, don't judge the production based on one show. Let's see what they do with the rest of the weekend.

... just thinking out loud here:

With all the progress in media coverage of disc golf tournaments in the past 5yrs, is coverage of a PDGA Major that doesn't provide full round coverage ... actually considered coverage?

I think we've become rather spoiled and used to a certain standard (rather high standard), and it's a rude jolt when things that occurred in previous years' coverage doesn't happen in later years' coverage.

Doesn't matter. If one outlet (the Finnish TV channel) is paying to cover the event, even if it's just the last round, they're not going to be happy if someone else is doing the same thing for the other rounds without paying a fee (because why are they paying if someone else doesn't have to?). lcgm8 apparently had the opportunity to cover the event the same as he had in the past...if he paid for the rights. He elected not to. So we don't get videos from him.

Doesn't matter. If one outlet (the Finnish TV channel) is paying to cover the event, even if it's just the last round, they're not going to be happy if someone else is doing the same thing for the other rounds without paying a fee (because why are they paying if someone else doesn't have to?).

agreed ... although I thought SpinTV/Innova was the media rights holder. Are they sharing the rights with YLE?

... but the point I'm trying to make (if there's even a point I am trying to make) or rather question I'm trying to ask, is it better to have highlight coverage of a few moments or full round coverage of one card?

I guess ideally you do it the same way that ball golf does it:

- tee times
- follow the last card to tee off
- jump around the course to various holes either live or with delayed highlights
- have tons of money to make this happen

... that can't be that hard ... right?

I think right now with where disc golf is at, it makes more sense for full round coverage by at least one "group" to maximize exposure of the tournament/course. If there are additional resources/groups/money to do other media coverage such as jumping around filming highlights, that would be nice to add in too.

lcgm8 apparently had the opportunity to cover the event the same as he had in the past...if he paid for the rights. He elected not to. So we don't get videos from him.

not exactly what I heard ... cover the event? yes ... the same as he had in the past? not quite, and that's why he declined

Last edited:
I guess ideally you do it the same way that ball golf does it:

- tee times
- follow the last card to tee off
- jump around the course to various holes either live or with delayed highlights
- have tons of money to make this happen

... that can't be that hard ... right?

We can dream right?

Okay folks, Couple of points from the event managers side.

We are concentrated to make worlds best events. We take this seriously. Our goal is to showcase this great sport of Disc Golf to all people, not just hardcore fans. This strategy requires different approach. Our course and facilities are built to take up to 5,000 spectators on-site on Championship Sunday. We had 2,000+ at the Presidents Cup.

About Media rights. If you study them, you can see that we are not asking money for YouTubers to cover our event. Money was not the case with lgcm8.

We are not making play-by-play videos from Rounds 1-3. We are concentrating to make The Insider Show as good and enjoyable as possible. This is a completely new format we go for.

Sunday, we will have 29-person crew to make National TV-broadcast and 10+ person crew to make The Insider Show. Along with that we have 3 person online media crew. That is more media coverage and personnel than ever in Disc Golf tournament (I know). We are talking about well over $50,000 investment for these medias and coverages. Our long-term plan is to expand the sport, not cater only the hard-core fans. It not realistic that someone would watch 4-hours of slow-pace play-by-play and get hooked to this. Do not get this wrong - we still love you guys.

I know it sucks when you cannot see all the shots from all the players (or your favourite player) but our strategy and target group this week is different. I wish you enjoy our productions and you are able to follow this amazing event. We will make traditional SpinTV tournament coverage video from the Final Round. That´s going to be huge.
That many resources put into coverage and basically no coverage for rounds 1-3? You are over thinking things and trying to reinvent the wheel. Just perfect the wheel. Get all the rounds coverage and make highlights off of them if you want the insider show which would just take some editing and commentary. Who cares if that part is live or next day or two?

Tournaments being televised live will draw more to the sport than some interview show. Capturing Paul Mcbeth's ace and getting it on sportscenter and other major sporting networks will grow the sport more than some dudes talking on a couch. Just imagine on a top 10 list, "Coming in at #1, Paul McBeth from the US, aces hole x at the European Open."

Interviews and highlights are nice, but with that budget I would think round coverage would've been easy as well. Not even necessarily live.

This new format is "stalling the sport". If anything else memorable gets missed I don't even want to know. I miss the disc golf guy.

We are concentrated to make worlds best events. We take this seriously. Our goal is to showcase this great sport of Disc Golf to all people, not just hardcore fans. This strategy requires different approach. Our course and facilities are built to take up to 5,000 spectators on-site on Championship Sunday. We had 2,000+ at the Presidents Cup.

About Media rights. If you study them, you can see that we are not asking money for YouTubers to cover our event. Money was not the case with lgcm8.

We are not making play-by-play videos from Rounds 1-3. We are concentrating to make The Insider Show as good and enjoyable as possible. This is a completely new format we go for.

Sunday, we will have 29-person crew to make National TV-broadcast and 10+ person crew to make The Insider Show. Along with that we have 3 person online media crew. That is more media coverage and personnel than ever in Disc Golf tournament (I know). We are talking about well over $50,000 investment for these medias and coverages. Our long-term plan is to expand the sport, not cater only the hard-core fans. It not realistic that someone would watch 4-hours of slow-pace play-by-play and get hooked to this. Do not get this wrong - we still love you guys.

I know it sucks when you cannot see all the shots from all the players (or your favourite player) but our strategy and target group this week is different. I wish you enjoy our productions and you are able to follow this amazing event. We will make traditional SpinTV tournament coverage video from the Final Round. That´s going to be huge.

That many resources put into coverage and basically no coverage for rounds 1-3? You are over thinking things and trying to reinvent the wheel. Just perfect the wheel. Get all the rounds coverage and make highlights off of them if you want the insider show which would just take some editing and commentary. Who cares if that part is live or next day or two?

Tournaments being televised live will draw more to the sport than some interview show. Capturing Paul Mcbeth's ace and getting it on sportscenter and other major sporting networks will grow the sport more than some dudes talking on a couch. Just imagine on a top 10 list, "Coming in at #1, Paul McBeth from the US, aces hole x at the European Open."

Interviews and highlights are nice, but with that budget I would think round coverage would've been easy as well. Not even necessarily live.

This new format is "stalling the sport". If anything else memorable gets missed I don't even want to know. I miss the disc golf guy.

What he said... :popcorn:

Given what you have said and what I have gathered, my opinion is different about the Rounds 1-3 coverage.
However, you are the guy who has to make the decisions based on what you know. Your hard work and good decisions have gotten you to the place where these decisions are yours to make. I may disagree with those decisions, but I agree that they are your decisions, not us "armchair quarterbacks".
And for the price I am paying, it's all been good.

All these people whining they aren't getting the coverage they want, and nobody is pointing out that the CEO of one of the largest disc companies in the world, who also happens to be running the biggest tournament in Europe right now, stopped in to address said whiners' specific concerns.

Meh, I haven't really fallen in love with the Insider Show; it just isn't my style, it feels really late night talk showy to me. I will confess I haven't watched the analysis part of one yet, so maybe I'll like that format if it's laid out a bit like Sportscenter. However, if people dig it, great. I'm just happy that there will be final round coverage; if the Insider Show had taken away from that, I would have been disappointed. Obviously I'm not paying for the product, so SpinTV is entitled to make what they want, and I'll watch it if I'm interested or not.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Coverage...? Lulz.

After show? Zzzzz.

JT needs to stick to behind the camera. When are people like him going to realize sports are boring as hell as the best shows are hardly about the competition at all.

All these people whining they aren't getting the coverage they want, and nobody is pointing out that the CEO of one of the largest disc companies in the world, who also happens to be running the biggest tournament in Europe right now, stopped in to address said whiners' specific concerns.

Feedback is important, regardless of what it is. He can take the info and do what he wants with it.