• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 European Open coverage thread/split from Tournament thread

Coverage

I have been enjoying The Insider Show.

I can imagine how it would take 29 people to do the live TV coverage. I bet that they have at least 8-10 cameras out there. A satellite truck with crew, graphics, sound, cabling, etc.

That being said, I do wish that we would get post round edited coverage. They clearly have all the footage, they are just choosing to put their resources in other aspects of the weekend. I have faith in Jussi, he has chosen a path and is going to put out a very quality product.

FYI: If anyone wants to throw Smashboxx.TV $50K, we will put together one heck of a show too! :D

Coverage Derailment

To Derail again, I too am bummed about the lack of video coverage, and definitely think an agreement could have been reached to let the amateur videographers cover and post footage of the first 3 rounds before going Pro with Finnish TV for the Final.

I think Jussi is not at all trying to attract new players nor pander to existing fans, but to present attractive, controlled coverage to appeal to potential sponsors outside of disc golf and to large media organizations.

This is not a criticism! I just think he's working on whole other level. And he's probably right.

To Derail again, I too am bummed about the lack of video coverage, and definitely think an agreement could have been reached to let the amateur videographers cover and post footage of the first 3 rounds before going Pro with Finnish TV for the Final.

I think Jussi is not at all trying to attract new players nor pander to existing fans, but to present attractive, controlled coverage to appeal to potential sponsors outside of disc golf and to large media organizations.

This is not a criticism! I just think he's working on whole other level. And he's probably right.

On the other hand however. Who would have been willing to pay for the airfare, travel and lodging themselves to go to Europe for a week?

The flaw with that is controlled coverage means nothing for outside sponsors without viewership. Maple hill had live streams and there were outside sponsor (s) who atleast got some coverage. I think he's over thinking things and trying to reinvent the wheel. The wheel is already invented, just use it to your advantage. You can get from point A to point B in many different ways, but a flat direct path is optimal. I'm not sure how venturing off this path is more effective. The top priorities should be more coverage, more viewership. Everything else falls into place after that. The process isn't broken, it just doesn't happen overnight. I feel there have been great strides already.

I really wanna see Paul's first round and Nybo's second round and last but not least FPO second round.
Can you imagine the Open at St. Andrews showing only the final round?

I get what you're saying, but let's not forget the ball golf market is still gigantic, on average the people in it are probably richer than disc golfers, and ESPN and whoever else is broadcasting it is making a killing off it, even though they had to pay for it.

That being said, not allowing a guy like LCGM8 to film a tournament like normal is kinda silly. Yes, in the long run, this decision is going to pay off and hopefully provide better coverage of the spot ( :D ); however, considering the quality of work LCGM8 has done in the past, and the fact that SpinTV has worked with him before (2013 EO coverage on their channel was filmed by LCGM8), an exception in the short term shouldn't have been that difficult to do. On the outside looking in, it doesn't really seem like granting a guy with the history of covering the sport like LCGM8 an exemption so that coverage of the round would be available wouldn't have hurt the precedent too badly.

The sheer amount of disrespect shown by a small population of keyboard warriors to people who are absolutely working their asses off 24/7 - missing time with family, loved ones, holidays, etc. to make this sport better is utterly appalling to me (and I'm not referring to myself, but to others). This is not the disc golf community that I fell in love with. These few "experts" are so far off the mark that it's completely ridiculous to me that others would lend any credibility to their words at all.

- I'm willing to bet none of you know the real history with lcgm8. I'm not going to talk about other people's business, as I've never met the man...but suffice to say nobody on this thread is remotely close to correct. Jussi even said this, but everyone is too busy pretending to know better to listen.

- Very few people on this whole website have experience in the media industry, yet everyone seems to know how to tell us to do our job. People, watching a TV does not make you an expert in production, broadcasting, or performing. I've been doing this for 10 years and I'm still learning every day and by no means consider myself elite in this industry. I'm sincerely grateful for the support that is shown, yet I laugh at people who tell me what I should be doing when they've never done it, naively assuming that I/we have never considered their approach just because we don't publicize every meeting we've had. I would never think to walk on to your job and tell you how to do it because I watched a Discovery Channel special, but somehow people lose all self awareness on the internet.

Let me clarify, that constructive feedback is always welcome, but that ends when you speak as if you know better than someone who actually has more knowledge of a situation. Tact is absolutely required. One of the coolest things about our sport is the public interaction that athletes, media guys, even CEO's have with everyone - but the people that continue to act like this will ruin it for everyone. We will become like all other sports - where the barrier will grow because a small group people don't know how to act, and trust gets broken.

- Finally, we can't please everyone, I accept that. We will not be like other channels, no matter how much you want us to. We will stick to our plan. If you think we're wrong, prove us wrong by going out and doing it better. If you know the magical way to the promised land, beat us there and show us by your actions, quit clogging a thread with drivel.

I'm done reading this thread.

Last edited:
People would be more likely to discuss the actual tournament if they could actually watch it.

JTacoma03 just went on a roid rant which doesn't represent Discmania well in my eyes. Of course I am a nobody but I was coming here hoping to find some magical link to live coverage. Spintv is tainting their image with the horrible uploads of the "insideshow." Only reason I'm posting this is for the people that want to know how the mass feels.
Wysocki lite that fire inside and TID

The sheer amount of disrespect shown by a small population of keyboard warriors to people who are absolutely working their asses off 24/7 - missing time with family, loved ones, holidays, etc. to make this sport better is utterly appalling to me (and I'm not referring to myself, but to others). This is not the disc golf community that I fell in love with. These few "experts" are so far off the mark that it's completely ridiculous to me that others would lend any credibility to their words at all.

- I'm willing to bet none of you know the real history with lcgm8. I'm not going to talk about other people's business, as I've never met the man...but suffice to say nobody on this thread is remotely close to correct. Jussi even said this, but everyone is too busy pretending to know better to listen.

- Very few people on this whole website have experience in the media industry, yet everyone seems to know how to tell us to do our job. People, watching a TV does not make you an expert in production, broadcasting, or performing. I've been doing this for 10 years and I'm still learning every day and by no means consider myself elite in this industry. I'm sincerely grateful for the support that is shown, yet I laugh at people who tell me what I should be doing when they've never done it, naively assuming that I/we have never considered their approach just because we don't publicize every meeting we've had. I would never think to walk on to your job and tell you how to do it because I watched a Discovery Channel special, but somehow people lose all self awareness on the internet.

Let me clarify, that constructive feedback is always welcome, but that ends when you speak as if you know better than someone who actually has more knowledge of a situation. Tact is absolutely required. One of the coolest things about our sport is the public interaction that athletes, media guys, even CEO's have with everyone - but the people that continue to act like this will ruin it for everyone. We will become like all other sports - where the barrier will grow because a small group people don't know how to act, and trust gets broken.

- Finally, we can't please everyone, I accept that. We will not be like other channels, no matter how much you want us to. We will stick to our plan. If you think we're wrong, prove us wrong by going out and doing it better. If you know the magical way to the promised land, beat us there and show us by your actions, quit clogging a thread with drivel.

I'm done reading this thread.

-Is "constructive feedback" only what you want to hear? Should people lie or not say anything if they not only don't like it, but can't make sense out of it? Your job is to entertain an audience so you should be grateful for all feedback. A lot of companies pay good money for feedback. You get it free. If feedback seems like an outlier ignore it, if it seems consistent throughout your audience you might listen or atleast refrain from going on the offensive. Remember we pay you.

-Does someone have to be an expert to have common sense and an opinion? I would gladly trade off being able to talk to you "experts" for actual coverage. I like the events, I like the competition, I don't think talking on a couch replaces that, I don't think this is a good format. Sorry I can't lie about it for you.

I've bought so many tour series discs (not to mention just regular Innova/Discmania discs) it's not even funny. A big reason I do this is to support touring players. I do this because I'm a fan and want to watch them play. Your new format basically spits on that for me. I've been loyal to Innova to a fault, but I'm not sure I will be anymore. Of course I'm just part of a small population of keyboard warriors so it doesn't matter. Buh-bye now.

Holy carp what thread am I in? I just read back a bit looking for round updates... who the hell are you people?

JTacoma, remember—critics are like eunuchs in a harem: they know how it's done, they see it done every day, they can tell you all about how to do it in excruciating detail, but they're unable to do it themselves.

That being said, not allowing a guy like LCGM8 to film a tournament like normal is kinda silly. Yes, in the long run, this decision is going to pay off and hopefully provide better coverage of the spot ( :D ); however, considering the quality of work LCGM8 has done in the past, and the fact that SpinTV has worked with him before (2013 EO coverage on their channel was filmed by LCGM8), an exception in the short term shouldn't have been that difficult to do. On the outside looking in, it doesn't really seem like granting a guy with the history of covering the sport like LCGM8 an exemption so that coverage of the round would be available wouldn't have hurt the precedent too badly.

Having been involved in negotiating media rights licensing for an event put on by a 501(C)(3) organization, I would wager that the exclusivity of coverage and distribution clauses—which are boilerplate language in the Media Rights Agreement put out by WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization)—were demanded and required by YLE (TV Finland) to agree to cover the event. If they didn't, they're cutting their own throat. It's called protecting their investment. Even if YLE never actually gets around to releasing a edited coverage, they're covering their backsides in case disc golf in Finland ever grows to the point that there's a remunerative market for it.

If there ever comes a time (don't hold your breath while you wait) when ESPN or some other non-PDGA-subsidized media company starts offering over-the-air live coverage or live streaming of disc golf, small-time operators like LCGM8, SpinTV, Central Coast, Smashboxx, McFly, DGM, etc., are going to disappear—POOF!

And if you think that allowing exemptions for small time operators who have covered the event in the past isn't a problem, I wanna get ahold of whatever it is you're smoking. Try running that by potential sponsors who underwrite the coverage costs: "Yeah, we're charging $xx,xxx for a 30 sec ad during the broadcast, but there's this guy over on YouTube who will be providing video for free. Now how many slots are you going buy?"

Um there is no real market so thats why YT works. If it wasnt a successful way to market video there wouldnt be hundreds od millions of@views there daily lolllll. Dg on TV is a joke.

Why someone would pay to advertise is beyond me let alone sponsor an event unless they are DG orientated.

I think the bottom line here is-provide video coverage of the tournament period.

It sounds like some hard working folks at Discmania are getting upset here. Well it could be the other way around where no gives a damn about the tournament. Plenty of tourneys here in the U.S. going on now that no one gives a bleep about.

Discmania's great vision is flawed by not covering the event in the short term.

Were missing some of the best disc golf on the planet right now!! Jussi come back to earth and give the fans coverage of the action not coverage of the commentary!!!

Spoiled little brats whining they can't get free coverage of Frisbee. Get over yourself.

7.-setting-up-a-shot-with-yourself-as-a-stand-in.gif

Watching people sit around and talk is boring. As Ian from Central Coast Disc Golf says "let's watch some disc golf!" I know how to support CCDG, so where do I pay these guys to actually show us the rounds?

I don't even care about live coverage. I would like to see post round coverage of more than just a few highlights and interviews. I'm not a big fan of this format personally. But I guess I'm just a keyboard warrior.

Live scoring has Ilari Tuoma as having aced hole 2. Definitely a tough hole to get a 1 on. Definitely not gonna be footage being so many cards back, but super impressive.

Lol there is footage of it on spintv, kind of.... watch it 2 or 3 times and squint and you'll see it.

-Is "constructive feedback" only what you want to hear? Should people lie or not say anything if they not only don't like it, but can't make sense out of it? Your job is to entertain an audience so you should be grateful for all feedback. A lot of companies pay good money for feedback. You get it free. If feedback seems like an outlier ignore it, if it seems consistent throughout your audience you might listen or atleast refrain from going on the offensive. Remember we pay you.

-Does someone have to be an expert to have common sense and an opinion? I would gladly trade off being able to talk to you "experts" for actual coverage. I like the events, I like the competition, I don't think talking on a couch replaces that, I don't think this is a good format. Sorry I can't lie about it for you.

I've bought so many tour series discs (not to mention just regular Innova/Discmania discs) it's not even funny. A big reason I do this is to support touring players. I do this because I'm a fan and want to watch them play. Your new format basically spits on that for me. I've been loyal to Innova to a fault, but I'm not sure I will be anymore. Of course I'm just part of a small population of keyboard warriors so it doesn't matter. Buh-bye now.

I think the bottom line here is-provide video coverage of the tournament period.

It sounds like some hard working folks at Discmania are getting upset here. Well it could be the other way around where no gives a damn about the tournament. Plenty of tourneys here in the U.S. going on now that no one gives a bleep about.

Discmania's great vision is flawed by not covering the event in the short term.

Were missing some of the best disc golf on the planet right now!! Jussi come back to earth and give the fans coverage of the action not coverage of the commentary!!!

This is not just another tournament, this is an international PDGA Major. I think that's why so many, many, many people are wanting to see footage.

Ditto. And have for other events/coverages. I'd donate. I'd throw in on a Kickstarter.

All we've gotten so far is a small handful of highlights, most of them jump putts with no context.

I'm hoping Jamie saw my comments as constructive criticism and not throwing him/SpinTV under the bus. I even said I was being nitpicky, and left simple bullet points about the show which I said I very much enjoyed.

I would rather have an explanation though. If "none of you know the real history with lcgm8...nobody on this thread is remotely close to correct," maybe explain it to us so we're not in the dark.(FWIW, I have not said anything about him, because I really have no idea).

Again, I AM thankful for the Insider Show. The work done on that with the transitions and multiple cameras and inserts and woven highlights is excellent.

But it really does only cater to the diehards, and does nothing to grow interest from anyone not neck-deep into the sport.

The fans want to see the event, and so far they have seen very, very little. This is a PDGA Major, so I don't see it unreasonable for people to want to watch, and to think that having others watch the best players in the world play one of the best courses in the world would help grow our sport.

Latest posts