• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 European Open coverage thread/split from Tournament thread

By the way, online streaming is generally not on the required level yet to make commercial streaming a viable option. There was an independent TV station that tried it with ice hockey, but failed miserably and is now on the verge of bankruptcy.

I fully expect that to happen to several of the DG video providers. Maybe not real bankruptcy, but a lot of them are eventually going to throw their hands up and say, "screw it, I'm out." Maybe it costs too much to travel to tournaments, or they have a kid who takes too much time, or they lose passion. But when those guys bite the bullet, there will be someone else to fill in right behind them. And maybe the next guys will be bigger and better, and maybe eventually someone will find the right formula to really have success.

Lets just say that our donations didn't hit 4 digits for the Memorial.

Everyone says they would pay for coverage, but we have not tried it yet.

put up a paywall for your next live event and charge everyone $1 a day to view the action (each IP would have to have a unique password? ... is something like that even possible?) ... I'd think that should get to at least 4 digit donations :thmbup:

... and if nothing else would be a useful experiment into the feasibility of paying for live disc golf footage

Last edited:
The guys from Smashboxx have said it numerous times, but the tipping point may be when cell service gets to 5G. Signals will be stronger and bandwidth will be greater and cheaper, which will probably allow for more folks to get into providing that sort of thing. Competition begets quality, and so on.

We're already seeing the streaming video options increase and become more user-friendly (Meerkat and Periscope for example). It's only a matter of time until the quality and bandwidth cost of Periscoping (or whatever app exists) an event is low enough that anyone with a cell phone can go out and "cover" a round.

put up a paywall for your next live event and charge everyone $1 a day to view the action (each IP would have to have a unique password? ... is something like that even possible?) ... I'd think that should get to at least 4 digit donations :thmbup:

... and if nothing else would be a useful experiment into the feasibility of paying for live disc golf footage

DGP has already done the PPV thing with its past Worlds coverage (2012 and 2013 for sure). Viewership at the peak times during the coverage was easily over 1000 people. But even with that, I don't think they came close to breaking even on the broadcast. And of course, as with anything that costs money, there were also plenty of whiners and complainers that didn't think it was right to charge the fee...as if paying $8 for about 35-40 hours of live coverage was breaking the bank.

DGP has already done the PPV thing with its past Worlds coverage (2012 and 2013 for sure). Viewership at the peak times during the coverage was easily over 1000 people. But even with that, I don't think they came close to breaking even on the broadcast. And of course, as with anything that costs money, there were also plenty of whiners and complainers that didn't think it was right to charge the fee...as if paying $8 for about 35-40 hours of live coverage was breaking the bank.

Was it required to pay to watch the coverage? I remember them pushing people to become members, but you could still watch for free if you wanted to ... I don't really remember the last time I watched dgplanet honestly :\

I want to say you had to pay in 2012 and then 2013 was free with them pushing memberships.

I want to say you had to pay in 2012 and then 2013 was free with them pushing memberships.

I think this was 2013, and '14, respectively, no? I think I first became a DGP member in 2012, and Worlds was free.

Two years in a row, it was pay or you couldn't watch, which I'm positive was 2012 and 2013. No idea why they stopped that model in 2014, but it might have been related to the signal issues they had in 2013 at Lemon Lake and its effect on the quality of the broadcast.

They've always been pushing for people to buy "memberships" which is just a fancy word for buying a $25 sponsorship. The only thing the "membership" gets you is entry into their raffle contests during the broadcasts. It was an entirely separate thing from the fee structure for the PPVs.

The guys from Smashboxx have said it numerous times, but the tipping point may be when cell service gets to 5G. Signals will be stronger and bandwidth will be greater and cheaper, which will probably allow for more folks to get into providing that sort of thing. Competition begets quality, and so on.

We're already seeing the streaming video options increase and become more user-friendly (Meerkat and Periscope for example). It's only a matter of time until the quality and bandwidth cost of Periscoping (or whatever app exists) an event is low enough that anyone with a cell phone can go out and "cover" a round.

Yup! You still need the data to do it though which is the. Biggest bitch right now. I never should have switched from unlimited grandfathered in plan i had with AT&T.

If you want to give us a feedback, please do it here in our official feedback form: http://www.opendiscgolf.com/2015/07/21/give-us-your-feedback/

We surpassed our media reach goals. There were 259,000 live TV-audience which is app. 100 times more than regular DG stream audience. Most of those 259,000 people are not Disc Golfers giving us a huge opportunity to introduce this great sport to them. YLE was extremely happy with our TV ratings. Also, our commercial partners were happy. After the event, we have already got interesting proposals for our upcoming events.

Here´s our media report: http://www.opendiscgolf.com/2015/07/24/eo2015-makes-waves-in-media/

While is understandable that hard-core DGers would like to see 4-hour long streams from every day, that is not our strategy. Our strategy is to create high quality content with a sustainable model. We decided not to spend 30k to make a 5-day quality stream for small audience (hard-core), since that model is not sustainable. In real life (in broadcasting business) there is no way to make sustainable live stream from Disc Golf at the moment. PPV model is not possible. There are 10 people here who would say "I would pay for that". We need commercial partners outside from the sport to be able to make quality content. And that case, we need to make our production with their interests in our mind. That means shorter live broadcasts and wider exposure. All credit to DGP, Smashboxx and Lgcm8 but that material is not going to sell at YLE or ESPN headquarters. European Open production was made together with the best sports production company in Finland (Mediatec). We used their $5million equipment including 3200 fps antelope cameras. Here´s a sneak peek whats coming: https://youtu.be/RkPwHUVInes
(in my personal opinion, Disc Golf has never looked this good)

SpinTV goal is to make Disc Golf productions at highest level and commercial friendly. I´m ready to make that with a cost of loosing some hard-core DGers. There is bigger catch to take. I have a vision and strategy that needs to be executed. I also want to point out that we are currently making broadcasts from 2-3 events annually. That leaves 2000+ PDGA events to enjoy with other methods. Youtubers are important and vital part of the sport. With their hard work, many of us are able to watch disc golf. Thank you for all of you.

But, lets face it: We have whined all our 40-year-history that we should already be in the mainstream or why ESPN is not covering us and so on. Well, because we are not able to make attractive product to the mainstream.. Shaky 4-hour-long live stream with breaking connection will never take us into the mainstream. I have chosen a different route. This route is full of danger and possible losses. We also complain that our top pros should be earning six figures. Well, without larger media exposure it will not happen. This is a really simple formula and people should understand it.

I started this great sport in 1994. Since then, I have dreamed to be a professional Disc Golfer. I was not able to do it for myself (lack of skill, money and time). But the desire in side me was too big. In 2009 I decided to make this sport as professional as possible and offer a possibility to others to be professional Disc Golfers. I quit my well-running advertising agency. After that I have been all-in Disc Golf. 6 years later, Disc Golf is a live TV-sport in Finland. Our national broadcaster´s big boss called me on Tuesday and wanted to thank me for the event and the broadcast. He wants to develop the product and have more live Disc Golf in their national network. This is a dream coming true on personal level.

We keep on pushing. Next stop is the USDGC where Spin18 is taking care of the media exposure. I will not speculate here what is going to happen there and we are still under negotiations. I have hired my good friend Jamie Thomas full-time for SpinTV starting on August 1st. He is a talent that I wanted to have on my team. We have also agreed that we are not going to comment on this forum anymore. I apologize for us reacting critique aggressively over the European Open week. That week pushed ourself to the limit. We understand that there are haters and people who does not like what we do. To me, its a sign that we are moving forward. Thank you to all people here pushing us forward. I promise to keep going forward and one day…

Over and out,
Jussi Meresmaa

TV must be really boring in Finland.

Online streaming is bigger then ever, here anyways. UFC and the like show that PPV works if you have a product worth watching. Maybe Finland is just the perfect place for that kind of growth. 250k viewers sounds great but the population of Minneapolis MN alone is over 350k.

We live in different worlds it seems like. The efforts are great and cool to see the growth just sure how it translates over to the US.

To say you wont comment here anymore is just funny. JT is the one who rubbed people the wrong way way b4 he was ever a part of what you are doing. Cool guy...!

As expected, a very professional and well composed response from Jussi. The only thing I do not agree with is this --> "I was not able to do it for myself (lack of skill..." One thing Jussi never lacked was disc golf skill. His modesty is impressive. I wish him nothing but the best in his endeavors. Hopefully he can realize his goals and take disc golf to the next level.

Jussi:

Thanks for keeping us peon's up to date. I agree/disagree with some of your vision.

I totally agree that something has to change drastically to get the pros more money- Which they deserve dearly for all their hard work,sacrifice and raw talent that they have.

The filming on the euro open was well done and very professional looking. I would think an advertiser would be happy with the content and willing to invest.

Sincerely

Dr. Smooth

Jamie, you're hired. Now shut up!

All kidding aside, nice choice for the team as Jamie does a great job with his projects. Way to make it happen, Jamie.

Keep up the good work, SpinTV. Don't mind the haters too much. They can't help themselves.

Joe

TV must be really boring in Finland.

Online streaming is bigger then ever, here anyways. UFC and the like show that PPV works if you have a product worth watching. Maybe Finland is just the perfect place for that kind of growth. 250k viewers sounds great but the population of Minneapolis MN alone is over 350k.

I don't know if that was just venting one's bad feelings or ignorance, but... Disc golf on YLE reached 5 % of the population which is about the same share that ER, NYPD Blue, Married With Children, and Dynasty reached in the US. Meanwhile the video for 2014 USDGC final back 9 has been seen 73,444 times.

I'd say Jussi is doing something right. And by that I don't mean that other people are doing it wrong. I hope to see that their recipe will work, too.

Why do we care about being on TV again?

The E-sports streaming model is really what we should be looking towards as a goal... not some insane quest to be 'validated' by ESPN and mainstream broadcasters. **** em. They aren't needed in 2015.

I don't know if that was just venting one's bad feelings or ignorance, but... Disc golf on YLE reached 5 % of the population which is about the same share that ER, NYPD Blue, Married With Children, and Dynasty reached in the US. Meanwhile the video for 2014 USDGC final back 9 has been seen 73,444 times.

I'd say Jussi is doing something right. And by that I don't mean that other people are doing it wrong. I hope to see that their recipe will work, too.

Lol. ER?! NYPD BLUE?! ..................... :doh::wall:

All you have to do is go to YT, type disc golf, then sort by views and length. Multiple 100k+ of many events. 250k on TV is nothing.

The PBS audience reflects the social and economic makeup of the nation. Almost 76 million households, representing 146.1 million people tune in to their local Public Television station. Approximately 89 million people watch PBS in an average week.

If DG was thrown on there it would get that many by accident.
"League of Legends" world championship--According to numbers released by Riot Games, 27 million people watched the finals in Seoul (broadcast in the U.S. on ESPN3).

The, um WHAT?! ^ESPN's online STREAMING SERVICE WHICH LETS YOU WATCH COVERAGE OF EVENTS....

Last edited:
Total subs and views of popular YT channels -- given similar exposure I see no reason why any of the below wouldn't be able to achieve similar numbers. Again it is cool to see but not sure what it really adds up to here. Duckies and Bunnies are cute and all......

McFlySoHigh
13,562 subscribers • 3,154,905 views

DG Live
4,585 subscribers • 1,263,716 views

The Disc Golf Guy
11,419 subscribers • 1,892,819 views
+SmashboxxTV • 597,360 views

lcgm8
7,416 subscribers • 2,387,119 views

Jomez Productions
7,873 subscribers • 1,901,669 views

The, um WHAT?! ^ESPN's online STREAMING SERVICE WHICH LETS YOU WATCH COVERAGE OF EVENTS....
To be fair. The lions share of the viewers for LoL's championship were watching via Twitch.tv. The ESPN3 audience was a tiny fraction.

Thanks! that's even a better point-- a platform ive never even heard of got millions of views and we are worried about TV.

something doesn't make sense at all.